Gas gauge question

Hi Guy's;

I know this has been covered but I am stumped. I can't seem to get a reading of any sort on my gas gauge.

I have power at the sending unit and added a ground per Merles idea when I installed the tank and new  Roberts sending unit.

Tried a jumper across the terminals and no joy at the gauge. I get a reading of 92ohms from the terminal to ground.

What should I be looking at next?

Thanks, Jeff

Jeff:  I'm assuming you left this as a 6 volt system with a negative ground.  If the truck has ever been converted to 12v there should have been a resistor installed to reduce power to 6v to the gauge.  You could try reading across the housing and post of the sending unit with an analog meter (set to check continuity) and see if you get a smoothe sweeping motion of the needle on the meter as you move the float arm through its travel range.  That will verify whether or not the sending unit is ok.  The sending unit is providing a progressive ground to the gauge.  Verify that you have batt negative (if its still a positive ground) at one post on the guage, the other post is looking for a positive ground provided by the sending unit.  If I recall correctly, grounding the wire from the guage to the sending unit should peg the needle on the gauge at full-if you don't get a reading with the key on I would suspect the guage may be bad.  But like the others said, make sure you have power to the gauge.  Mike

Edited by MBFowler

How much fuel is in the tank, Jeff? 90 Ohms would indicate an empty tank if the sender is working properly. As mentioned, short the sender wire to ground and watch the gauge. It should peg to Full. If it doesn't then check the power supply at the gauge and also check that the gauge body is grounded through the dash.

Maybe this page from my shop manual will help you understand how it should work.

Fuel Gauge.pdf

Merle

I am still 6 V positive ground. I probably have something wired wrong.......like a lot of guys I don't always follow (or even read) instructions. :D I am not getting any reading on the ammeter either.......and I am sure I am getting full charge from my new alternator. Not sure what happened. I used to be better at following manuals and instructions for that matter. Something happened a while back and now there is a bit of a disconnect???? Oh well.....At least I keep at things until I get them sorted....right? Could be worse....I could just ignore them altogether. :rolleyes:

Jeff

I did some more testing etc...nada. I am getting current to the sender through the wiring from the gauge. Gauge panel has a good ground and gauge itself has current fed from ignition switch.

I have tried a jumper from the sender wire to ground and the gauge needle does not move at all. Tried switching the two wires at the gauge and this has no effect. Tried a jumper across the gauge terminals......got nothing. I am guessing that the gauge itself is bad. Any other tests I should do?

Thanks, Jeff

Reminds me of the comedian who said: "Top Gun lost me when Tom Cruise, playing a F-14 Fighter pilot, rapped on the controls like he was checking the fuel level on a 74 Dart".......lol. 

48D

• Like 1

Reminds me of the comedian who said: "Top Gun lost me when Tom Cruise, playing a F-14 Fighter pilot, rapped on the controls like he was checking the fuel level on a 74 Dart".......lol. 

48D

:lol: HeHeHe.........Top Gun lost me when they put Tom Cruise in it. :eek:

I spent a lot of time at NAS Miramar back in the 90's ......we used to do all the Navys' Hot Fueling system design......never saw any pilots who acted like him. Some pretty serious boys there. There was a sign up in one of the hangers that clearly stated "No Wankers" I figured it was there in case he showed up.

Jeff

So in keeping with it's stubborn fight against my efforts to bring it back to life......the beast has thrown me another curve. :lol: I swear this old thing is just messing with me now.

After I finally got the needle to move on it's own......I went to snug up the two leads on the gauge........and one of them spun. Dead gauge now of course.

So I decided to remove the gauge from the cluster to see what happened. OMG! :eek:  I feel certain some of you know what the connection to the coils looks like....but if any of you want to see what FRAGILE is for yourself take a look at the microscopic wires that run from the inside of the terminal post to the two little coils. Holy Crap! They are like a very fine spider web. It is hard to imagine how they have lasted this long.

I have some friends who have a business radio sales and repair shop. They are going to try and repair this.....even they were amazed at how fine this connection is.

Jeff :huh:

You jinxed yourself saying that you were nearly done a week or so ago Jeff   :D

I hope that your radio repair shop fellas are successful, or maybe you should talk to Kevin?

Davin;

Oh I jinxed myself long before this......... :huh: I had to learn long ago that my little runs of good luck never last long. I have to  celebrate them right away 'cause more than likely it will be over tomorrow.

I tell you what though....... this truck has thrown up a bewildering amount of nasty little curve balls during the whole process. I am beginning to wonder if I am going to need to have it exorcised or something. I am sure a lot of it is probably caused by my general "shoot from the hip" demeanor..........but I got to say that some of it seems to come from a unnaturally wicked place.

And it has happened so often that it is almost humorous. At this point I pretty much expect it to fight me and it is rare when it doesn't. :eek:

Jeff

I think that most of us have been in that situation Jeff. I had issues with my fuel gauge a while back, but it turned out that there was no float left in my cork float so was an easy fix in the end.

I've been well and truly tested over the past few days whilst wrecking another one of my old rusty trucks in the paddock. Wifey told me that I'm only allowed 5 of them and I may have a 6th one arriving next week - I'm not sure whether she was joking or not but best to play it safe! It struck me today whilst working away, I wonder how much blood one can actually loose from cuts or gashes before one becomes dizzy! I'll pull the motor tomorrow and then start working on saving all that I can from the rest of the truck. Seems that a local lizard has moved in and made itself at home in the engine head (see photo). One has to keep on ones toes in our paddock when it comes to critters moving as there are plenty of snakes, lizards, goannas and other nasties over there.

post-3915-0-12939100-1382076309_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Davin,

If you lay out all the parts.....does it really add up to 6 trucks???? Just trying to give you some talking points...lol. 

Hey Jeff,

Is it a jinx if I say it?.....YOU'RE ALMOST DONE!!! :lol:  

48D

:D Tim.....you better be careful......or I will forced to bring up that Gibby story again.

Davin;

I wouldn't mind the cuts or a lizard or two. My truck seems to have a spirit of it's own.....maybe it's the PO who passed away a while back? I don't know. What I do know is that it has been actively fighting me. And I don't have a problem if he wants to go along for the ride.....the more the merrier I say. Just let me get it finished.

Several years ago when I was very active in the vintage brit bike scene I had some friends in Oz. This one couple had an extensive collection of veteran and vintage motorcycles including a WW1 Army Matchless with a sidecar. Quite a lot of these came from stations in the outback. The woman was some sort of wildlife warden or ranger. Apparently there are quite a few old bikes stored under the raised foundations of the old cattle and sheep stations across Austrailia. They are protected from the elements by the buildings and protected from the would be restorers by a very potent snake population. I wish I still had the photos they sent me of this one place. There were around 12-15 really desireable old bikes from teens to the thirties under this old place and at least 8 or 9 large venomous snakes guarding them. I know how bad they wanted those bikes....but they took one look and a couple of photos and got out of there. As far as I know they are probably still under that old building.

Jeff

Jeff

... you need a larger paddock!

That paddock is 10 acres, and land out that way is selling for close to $1 million for a 5 acre lot.

... If you lay out all the parts.....does it really add up to 6 trucks???? Just trying to give you some talking points...lol. 

I still have 4 of my 'keeper' trucks intact. My shed is fairly cluttered at present, but I don't think that you'd see that many trucks in the parts that I have. I'm working with the idea that I won't have to go hunting for too many parts on my next build/s. I don't part with too many of my parts at present, but I have been known to help a friend or 2 out.

I wouldn't mind the cuts or a lizard or two.

We have 20 of the top 25 most venomous snakes in the world here in OZ, but only a few species in that list out in our paddock. I don't mind the lizards or the goannas as they usually scurry away, but I don't like snakes!

Not at all Hank;

I bought the truck from the PO's daughter. He had it for years and died a few years ago of cancer.

I don't think much had gotten done to it in many years......but according to the daughter it was his baby.

It is just possible I ticked him off by sanding all his bodywork down to bare metal? ;)

Hard to say........but the way some of this has gone I wouldn't rule it out altogether. Some appreasment may be required.

Jeff