51 dodge pickup rat rod

Cookie jar

Well hello out there in computer land. I am here to check this out as I have just started to build a 51 dodge pick up rat rod . I am building a 276 desoto hemi to put in it as well as putting it all on an 88 dakota frame . I have the cab set on the fram and it sits nice and low. I may have to lift it a bit as I don't have the engine in it yet and the wheels are close to rubbing when I turn to the end of the stroke. But it's gonna be cool I think. This is my first attempt at building anything like this . I hope it turns out.

Very cool.  I have a 354 Hemi in my 52.  It was a ton of work, but I used the stock frame and had to figure out how to make it all work.  It does look cool though.   I think there's another guy here who put one of the baby hemis in his truck.  I got the idea for routing my exhaust from his pictures.

Post up some pictures of your project when you can. 

Welcome!!  I love that you are also a glutton for punishment. LOL!!  As you can see in my profile pic, I have a chopped 53 and its on a 91 Dakota frame. Been lots of work, but she is coming along. My son (a great bodyman) is finishing off the roof for me and hopefully we will be driving it next summer. I have a few threads on here on the build.  Keep the pics coming!!!

Edited by buds truck

My son (a great bodyman) is finishing off the roof for me and hopefully we will be driving it next summer.

I knew I should have sent my son to trade school instead of private school to study philosophy.

Now I can't understand him when he talks and he can't weld or fabricate or paint.

Pretty much the same reason my parents shouldn't have let me go to college.

• 6 months later...

Well it's been a long cold winter up here in Canada but I have gotten back to working on my truck . As of now I have the motor fully assembled and now have it in the chassis. I had to build my own mounts and I think they turned out ok.i have also installed a steering column fron a chevette car and it to fit pretty nice . Here are a few pics.

post-6444-0-74470800-1399091524_thumb.jpg

My favorite feature is the 1970s textured carpet dash.

Seriously, though, you're going to have a lot of fun here.

Agreed

I didn't buy the first Pilothouse I saw (in 1977) partly because the entire interior was covered in lavender shag. That and the fact that $300 for a truck would mean sitting out the next semester of college...

Hey people I need some help if anyone has a used tranny adapter for a desoto hemi to a torqueflite 727 please let me know as I am on a tight budget and would really like to get this on the road this summer . Thanks in advance.