Door weather seals, 1950 Wayfarer--different ones on the bottom?

msawdey44

Started digging off the remains of the door weather seals on my 1950 Wayfarer sedan today. When I got to the bottom side, I noticed that the regular rubber seals stop at the edges of the door and the seal across the bottom is something different, with a metal backing that has "fingers" to go up into the drain holes across the bottom of the door. None of the usual suppliers of weatherstripping appear to list this separate seal for the bottom, and I'm not sure I see it in the 1950 parts book either.

Anybody had experience with replacing this bottom seal with a length of the regular seal material? My concern is that that would likely block off all the drain holes, unless one managed to glue the seal material to the original metal strip, which is rusty but not totally disintegrated.

Any thoughts or experience on this?

• 4 years later...

Bumping this up from 5 years back, as I have the same question, and no one ever responded to this post.  I think that bonding the regular replacement weather strip to the metal retainer shouldn't be any more difficult that bonding it to the door itself, but the corners of the door (front & rear) have shaped sections that extend out farther.  Without that shape, I don't think the weather strip will do its job there, unless it is formed out into more of a square corner, and the resulting void filled in with some type of material.  (On my P15, I can tell that these parts were bonded to the main weather strip after they were formed.  It is also possible that each corner piece was formed separately, judging from the way it looks where it joins the straight run across the bottom of the door, unless the markings I see are from where separate sections the mold itself were joined.)

Boy, if Dodge had something like the 49-50 Plymouths which had a metal strip about 3/8" wide - 18 ga. thick  and the width of the bottom of the door that had molded rubber about 3/8 thick?, attached that just hung by small metal tabs from the 3-4? drain holes (to long ago to be exact)   in the door bottom. Pretty much block the drain holes. What a great engineering job. I have found several of the "strips" no rubber on the 2 -50 Plymouths I have. Never could understand the door seal setups on the these Plymouths.

After the WW II, it seems the could sell everything that was priced right regardless of any long term problem areas, "My guess only".!

These era Plymouths were Top sellers.  ?  ?

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
update small detail of post.

From what I've seen in vehicles I've had (and some that I cut open), the weep holes in the door bottoms and rocker panels are a design challenge that leaves some things to be desired - not always very effective, especially considering the dirt & other debris that inevitably accumulates in those areas.  On my 46, however, I don't think the drainage is restricted by the weather stripping, as the metal strip holds it out from that area.  But it is still a seam, and it's not going to typically dry out in there very well, even if there was no dirt sitting in the bottom.