1940 Plymouth Business Coupe, P9 Roadking

Bmartin

Hi, I am glad to see another P-9 on the forum. Go to the junk yard and find a early Plymouth with a 16 or 15 inch wheel. Then get it (the wheel) balanced. I have a sparepost-63-0-28277100-1381505582_thumb.jpg that is painted like the other wheels on my car. I have never had a chance to use it. You have a nice car. The soap trick that Don talked about works on noisey belts I use it all the time and it works. I do it while the car is running and I have all my fingers. I have had trouble with that rear bearing myself. It comes from having the belt to tight or wear. When you get it fixed just tighten belt as needed. It's nothing like having a coupe they are really cool.

Well, I'm hoping my generator issues are solved.  Got the factory one rebuilt but it came back bad, the Arm was not working right.  Luckily I had picked up a generator from an old jeep, same part number, different brackets.  So they swapped the Arm out of that one and everything seems good.  First time I have ever seen a positive reading on the Amp meter.  looked to be charging the batt at 12-26 amps depending on load.  Voltage varied from 4.5 to 7.5.  I took the car for a twenty minute drive with the lights on and the battery was still at 6.6V.  Hoping that I'm in good shape for the big cruise tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the help, I am going to try and hit up the pick a part today for a donut to have in the short term.  I'll be getting a full size spare at some point though. 

I picked up a spare from a Mazda Millenium, should fit well and picked up a scissor jack.  Good thing too since I got a flat!  I noticed it right as I pulled into my neighborhood.  So I just grabbed the Jeep and aired it back up for the 200 ft home.  Hope I caught it in time since I just got off the highway. Eitherway, I put over 100 miles on the car today and cruised if for about an hour.  Ran great with minor issues.  Wanted to thank everyone for the all the help, this was my big short term goal, make it to the cruise.  Had a blast and only saw one other 46 plymouth (Custom) there.  I love this car and can't wait to get back to work on it. 

Just an update on the spare tire - Since I still have the original drum brakes, there is an alignment pin on each drum.  So a hole will need to be drilled in the spare to match - not a big deal.  A larger issue is that the hub is too large to fit through the hole of the spare wheel.  So I'll need to make that larger.  Not a big deal if you don't care what it looks like.  To do it clean, you'll need to put in on a lathe or something similar.  Right now, I'm thinking angle grinder. 

Edited by Bmartin
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I finally got a little time to tinker with the car, not sure it will last, but I'm going to take advantage.  I started off by servicing my air filter.  First time for this and I'll be going to the paper filter conversion next time.  My garage, hands, clothes reek of Kerosene.  I've got the heavy duty air filter.  Which brings me to the draft tube.

I've been searching the site for my specific year and I could not find anything.  My draft tube has no slash cut and is angled towards the front of the vehicle.  As if its trying to push the air in and then out the oil filler filter.  With the way it fits against the block, there is no way it could face down or to the back.  Is this correct for my year?  Also, there is a cavity at the block that looks like its for a filter.  The manual says that models with the heavy duty air filter will have a filter on the draft tube.  Anyone found a good replacement for that?  Mine is missing. 

Lastly, I need a new oil filler filter, is the best option to just buy a new one from Bernbaum?  I'd really like to never have to mess with Kerosene again.  Being in the desert, it will need cleaning more often. 

Well, back to the garage.

Edited by Bmartin

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your coupe'! I have a 49 Wayfarer business coupe and dealt with Diamondback Tire company when choosing radials. They use Hankook tires and apply their dress kits (wide whites, red line, raised letters etc.) at their headquarters. Very nice people and their prices are fair unless you have to have wide whites hahaha.

The folks here are knowledgeable and their suggestions are based from years of experience and yes most of them are "older people" not me, them!

Nice coupe' best to you keep the pics coming. Doc.

I got some help today from a buddy and got to inspect the shift linkage as it moved. The spring on the lever that shifts between the rails is shot.  Anyone got ideas on a replacement?  The ride has been pulling to the passenger side when I hit the brakes.  Real bad when its cold, pretty much goes away when I get it warmed up.  So we pulled the drums.  Found that both the forward and reverse shoes are identical.  Manual says they should be different.  Also found that the wheel cylinders have fluid behind the rubber seals.  So those need a rebuild/replace.  Passenger had a bunch of gunk built up behind the shoe, most likely from the leaky cylinders.  So the shoe may have been soaked with brake fluid, causing the grabiness.  So a brake job is in order at some point.  To be honest, I have not been bothered by it so far.  Will keep driving for now. 

A fruitful day. 

CAUTION:  Do not use PB Blaster on the inside of the car!  Its not that important for your seat rails to move.  The stink is too high a cost!

Edited by Bmartin

SWEET!  Been wondering it there were any others in town.  Let me know if you need a hand or want to lend one. I can use all the knowledge I can get.  I gave myself some brake issues and need to work those out to get it back on the road. 

I'm hoping to go to the big swap meet next weekend, probably Sunday.  Let me know if you'd like to meet up. 

Brian

My car is currently waiting to be gone over.  I bought an unfinished restoration, so I have wiring to sort out first. I'm learning as I go as well. Due to the holidays, I won't be doing much swap meet stuff. I have to entertain all the family that like to use my house as an escape from the Great Lakes winters. :)