Weekend work on the P15

ssnowden

7 hours ago, Dartgame said:

Probably too late - but I would install a borg and beck clutch and disc. Those auburns are kind of wimpy looking clutches. Earlier in your post you mentioned the trans leaking. There is a gasket that must be installed between the trans and the bell housing. There is a hole in the face of the trans that is open to the gear box and will leak  oil if the gasket is not in place. Car looks good !

Thanks. My goal is to prevent rust and get it drivable.  I actually did replace the clutchpressure plate and throw out bearing. I also did the dime trick with RTV to plug the lower hole in the transmission that I found on this forum and it totally stopped the oil leak. I added a new gasket for good measure as well.

On the other end I put on a new emergency brake pad and springs so hopefully it will be good to go.

Edited by ssnowden

1 hour ago, falconvan said:

Nice patchwork! Looks like it's really coming along.

Thanks. Back to work now though from holiday vacation, so progress will slow down somewhat. But I would like to get it running by spring.

• 1 month later...

It's alive! I literally bolted everything together and it started right up. I've got a lot of adjusting to do and I haven't tuned it or adjusted the new carb, but at least it's running again! 

IMG_1615.mov.mp4

Edited by ssnowden
  • Like 1

I checked the oil after it ran for a little while and it is a little murky. I changed it before I started the engine and also added some Marvel Mystery oil. Considering it really hasn't run in nearly 30 years, how worried should I be and what should I check?  It looks a little like the oil in this video, but not frothy or as gray. 

Edited by ssnowden

• 1 month later...

I took a drive in the P15. It's getting closer to being fully ready to cruise. I put on a Smithy's muffler and it quieted it down quite a bit.  Here is the video I shot with my phone of part of the drive. 

If you click on the video, there is sound. The rattling you hear at :57 is the floor pan cover for the transmission. I only had one screw in it since I'm still adjusting things. Also the cheap Dolphin gauges just aren't accurate at all, so I should have my new Auto Meter gauges in tomorrow and I'll replace them. 

By the way, I changed the oil after the first start milky oil. Now, after it running for about an hour or so and driving it around, the oil looks good and like it should. 

Edited by ssnowden
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have all the Auto Meter gauges working now, so I took it for a highway drive. I'm using the GPS speedo and it is working great. I got it up to 60 mph and it felt fine.

Edited by ssnowden