ssnowden

I had a productive Saturday.  

From this: 

20130928_084119.jpg

To this: 

20130930_085909.jpg

20130930_085832.jpg

20130929_134554.jpg

I've got a couple of rust spots to patch, but overall, it's not bad. 

The rust is limited to where it was bolted to the front fender on both sides. The drivers side is the worst of the two.  It's solid metal at the bottom.  Back in 1980, the body guy put a fiberglass patch over it. The side is solid. I put a magnet on the side to check that it's all metal. 

20130929_134733.jpg

The passenger side is in better shape. Again, a small fiberglass patch was on it. 

20130929_134716.jpg

Now for clean up, new wiring harness, front end rebuild, shocks, and checking out the engine. 

• Like 1

guite the project for sure and good to inspect every part of the body....some areas are more prone to other for damage and will make your inspection a bit quicker to hit these spots even if they look good from the outside...good luck..many here have attacked these very areas in the past....I replaced a bit of metal in this very area on my coupe...luckily I was the first responder to the rust...this metal is not that hard to shape and replace..the inner most portion of the cowl/rockerfloor pan attachment points is quite a bit more involved though...also very prone to damage...layered metal so you can accomplish the repair in proper sequence but still not the best area for access...

It looks like the engine is a 230 out of a Dodge M37 or a variant military truck from the serial number I found on the block that started with "T245-" . I found a good reference on this page http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html . 

Considering this is all new to me, is that a good thing, bad thing or no big deal? Wikipedia says it has 78 hp, so thats less than the 218. 

Edited by ssnowden

It looks like the engine is a 230 out of a Dodge M37 or a variant military truck from the serial number I found on the block that started with "T245-" . I found a good reference on this page http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/tengines.html . 

Considering this is all new to me, is that a good thing, bad thing or no big deal? Wikipedia says it has 78 hp, so thats less than the 218. 

I wonder where Wikipedia got that number? Even the 201 that was in my '41 P12 was rated at 87hp. I would think a 230 should have more hp than that.

Jim Yergin

53 230 woulda been at least 120/125, unless the mil spec was less due to multi fuel capability.  Detuned to allow kerosene or other fuel mixtures. 

I think it MIGHT be possible the military rated horsepower in a different way than advertising agencies. I drove a bunch of those 3/4 ton monsters when I was in the army,and they had to have had more than 78 horsepower by civilian standards just to get the heavy SOB's going. I can't remember if 50 MPH was around their top speed,or if that was just as fast as you wanted to drive one. Nobody ever described their steering as "responsive". Takes two men and a boy to turn the damn wheel.

We did have a duece and a quarter at our camp in VN that would run along at 70 mph,though.  It was the fastest vehicle we had.

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of rust. I'm deep into my first encounter with restoring rusted out areas. That rust is like working with ground up razor blades, it's VERY sharp. I hate gloves on my hands but I'm about ready to get some. 

Good luck as you proceed, we'll be cheering you on.

Thanks. I'm getting to know my wire brush wheels quite well.  :)

Do yourself a big future favor,and make sure you wear a mask or respirator when grinding the rust away.

• 2 years later...

I'm resurrecting this thread provide an update. Well, it's funny how time flies. It's hard to believe it's been 2 years since I started this project.  

I had to take over a year break from it though. We bought an older house just over a year ago that needed a full remodel, so I've been playing Bob Villa and the Plymouth has been sitting there gathering dust. The house is "done", at least enough where I can now start back on the Plymouth. Time to stop spending all my money at Lowes and start spending it on car parts.  :)

However, one of the reasons I bought this old house was because there's a big workshop in the back and now I have plenty of room to work on the car. 

Last week I ordered all new internals for the distributor and plug wires from Andy Bernbaum and a Pertronix Flamethrower coil.  I got it all installed last night. I know for sure this car hasn't been started in at least 15 years, and I literally just put the distributor on and plugged the wires to the spark plugs. I thought I would see if it would hit so I squirted some gas in the carb and I can't believe what happened next. 

https://goo.gl/photos/XmQnoV9e5sajXvBv7

• Like 1

I got a pretty good deal on a set of tires and wheels and put them on today. I like the look, but I have clearance issues on the front end. 

https://goo.gl/photos/Gfq6GFM17u4yUST57

https://goo.gl/photos/zzgqWikU8N8TVbfe7

https://goo.gl/photos/rDRLv9ZHCGPnpnwT7

I think I know the answer, but Is there anything I can do other than get narrower wheels and tires for the front? 

Caspers answer would be the start, but it looks like you'd need at least 3/4" to 1" which would be too much to ask of a wheel spacer, but would it be possible to have those rims reversed or the centres remounted with more offset on those rims or another set.............andyd 

those are cheapo models..cast devices...don't recommend them....per chat I recommended E-bay....the below is set of four billet and hub centric  measure you hub and compare..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pcs-1-5x4-5-to-5-x-4-5-Wheel-Spacers-Adapters-5Lug-1-2-x-20-/251641232881?hash=item3a96fc7df1:g:B3cAAOSwuMFUdjMP&vxp=mtr

Edited by Plymouthy Adams