Fluid Drive Stuck Between Gears

BIGBAND39

After just buying a '49 Dodge Wayfarer, I have run into a problem with the Fluid Drive.  After turning the vehicle on, I can hear a mechanical sound as if the transmission is in between gears.  When I go to shift into any gear, I just get grinding.  If I turn the vehicle off, sometimes it allows me to shift and other times the noise comes back.  This happens only periodically and the transmission shifts as normal others.  Any words of wisdom from the Fluid Drive experts out there?

Quite honestly, I'm not quite sure.  The transmission is a three speed and, without using the clutch, I am able to start from 3rd gear and proceed like it has an automatic transmission.  This, the fact that the badging says "Fluid Drive" lead me to believe that that's what I have.  Is there any way to tell?

The fluid drive refers to the assembly between the engine and trasmission.  Most early cars were equipped with a manually shifted 3 speed gearbox mounted behind the Fluid drive. The fluid drive allows you to brake the car to a stop with it i gear, and then pull away from the stop by releasing the brake and drive away using just the gas pedal.  You can shift the trans just like a normal three speed if you wish. Some cars had a semi automatic dual range transmission behind the fluid drive.  With this transmission you selected low range or high range and the trans shifts by sensing vehicle speed and shifting when the driver lifts his foot momentarily from the gas.  The trans will automatically shift to the lower gear when coming to a stop.  From your description it sounds as if you have a manually shifted standard trans.  With this unit shifting faults usually have to do with the  bushings, connections, and adjustments of the shifter linkage to the selector levers on the transmission.  You should be able to see if there is slop which doesn't allow the linkage to pull the trans levers fully into position.  You can adjust some of this out if the bushings are not too loose.  You will need to get under the car with and assistant moving the shift lever through the shifting pattern while you observe if the linkage and levers are not travelling far enough to fully engage the selectors into their proper position.  Also if the clutch is not fully disengaging from the flywheel, it will continue to turn the input shaft which will not allow the synchronizers and balking rings to do their jobs.  Try putting the transmission momentarily in 2nd gear. This will engage the sychros ad other interal stuff to stop the input shaft, and allow a shift to low or reverse without dragging or grinding.  Usually the clutch rod will need to be adjusted to be a bit longer to assure the throwout bearing to fully disconnect the pressure plate and friction disc.

Go to the all par website and do a search for fluid drive for the whys and where fores of the fluid drive system.

Take a quick look under the car to see if there is a solenoid, and governor  mounted on the right side of the transmission. That will help to determine if it is a standard 3 speed or a gyro-matic transmission.  Post what you find.

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

There does not appear to be a solenoid or anything mounted to the side of the tranny.  Would a lift be required to tinker with bushings, connections, and adjustments of the shifter linkage to the selector levers on the transmission?  I am little worried though about getting into something that I may not understand and be able to get myself back out of.

Edited by BIGBAND39

If the clutch was bad or locked up, would it reset itself when I turn it off?  Again, this is an intermittent problem.  I am sometimes able to drive seemlessly with no issues.  How do I check lube level?

Edited by BIGBAND39

I have both the original operator and service manual for the car now.  I just figured that, before troubleshooting, that someone may have been familiar with the issues and had a fix off hand.  The vehicle does shift into gear when running and operates perfectly normal 90% of the time.  If I let her warm up for a while, the problem seems far less prevalent.  That could just be a coincidence.  The Fluid Drive is working, as I can stop at a light completely and she idles without touching the clutch.  The idle though when the Fluid Drive is engaged is definitely rougher.  Almost feels like the motor has a hard skip.  That skips subsides when the clutch is depressed.

I had a 51 wayfarer once, It was the best car I ever owned had very few problems with it. I sold it to a guy who, as soon as he got it home changed the gearbox oil. He called me shortly after complaining that it wouldnt go into gear while the engine was running. It was always good while I owned it so I went over to look at it. The clutch and selector levers had not been touched. I couldnt understand what had happened until he told me he had changed the oil for 90 weright oil. Too thick, it would go into any gear just as it should when not running. He dropped the 90, flushed the box with diesel and added 40w. That was it. My 2 cents.