1953 & 1954 Dodge Plymouth rear axle drum to drum width is 60 inches

Old Ray

1953 & 1954 Dodge Plymouth rear axle drum to drum width is 60 inches

Posting so that other souls in the future wandering lost in the desert like I was will maybe find this information. :) 

Other info: Rear fender to drum face is 5 in. Brake drum face to frame at center of axle is 6 in. Brake drum face to frame at wheel circumference 4 or 5 in.

Should this be posted in the Technical Archives reference section?

Dodgeaxlewidth1953_zps59258621.jpg

Best way to measure rearend widths for exchanging them completely is outter face of drums where the wheels mount, side to side.

Too many other variables. Drum widths, backing plate offsets, etc.

Doug

I agree with DJ194950.

The 'A' dimension for spring pads is arbitrary as is the 'B' track width.  Late model axles usually require replacement pads and rims drastically alter track dimension.

IMHO, the only number of importance is the wms to wms number.

In some applications, the amount of pinion offset can be of importance but it is generally not a huge number.

If some of you folks want to measure your various oem rear axles and send me a note I'll post the list on my website along with my list of late model units for comparison.

Edited by wayfarer

you are correct...while an axle of a certain year may be 56 inches back to back the same very axle with larger brakes could have a 54 back to back..thus the axle flange to flange is the same as are the perches....as most folks measure the back to back as the back of drum to back of drum and not the actual backing plate mounting flange..drum to drum can be a BS number

flange to flange is important if you are going to go with the stock rims and wheel position in the wheel well itself.  This establishes the track with the associated stock rim..  However the flange to flange is a floating number if you keep in mind that the wheel offsets +/- can be shifted per you very application....however..with only a bit of fudge unless you are altering your front suspension also...modern suspensions do not have the old protruding bearing in hub design and thus allow for flat face rims with very small centers thus hindering their use without modification..the new front suspension is further designed to use the modern offsets front and rear...you can do the same but be prepared for modification or tradeoff..I use modern alloys on most all my cars...most vary between 6.5 and 7 in widths..15, 16 and 17 inch diameter rims..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

It's also worth noting that some rearends have the the center section (rearend chunk) offset to the right instead of being centered, which can create interesting issues with clearance to the floor and driveshaft angles.

Marty

• 3 years later...

I have a 1953B model Dodge pick up.my neighbor is scrapping out a 1999 jeep Cherokee wagon  4wd. I have the original engine 218cu .stock so I was wondering if this rear end would be a good donor rear to put in my old pick up ?  I am still planning on using the original size wheels and 650 x 16 tires.Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes guys,you are right.got the vin called dealer.3:55 rear.im wondering now if any body knows what the outside drum width difference is,between thatjeep cherokeer rear and the original rear? Should the jeep be able to mount original stock rims ?   Thanks in advance 

Not sure what the flange to flange is. Should be 5 on 4.5 inch bolt circle. It seems to me that others have done this swap in car applications. If it is free - I'd grab it along with the shock mountings,  driveshaft etc....anything that is attached to it, rear sway bar etc. You should grab the front sway bar too as these can be adapted to work on the front end of most plymouths and dodge cars w king pins...lotsa good stuff there.