Need help..... Keeps dying

jorswift

Hello all.

Recently got the car out from sitting for a few months to get ready for weekend car show. Drove the car around for couple days just fine. Went this morning to take car to show and it dies on me. I figure I ran out of gas. I get gas, and poor in carb to get started. Car starts, but soon dies soon after. I tried this a few time to get the gas back to the carb, but every time, it dies after starting.  I am thinking the filter maybe clogged after the bowl? I will have to check the bowl after work today to see if gas has made it to the bowl.  Anyone have ideas? Thanks.

detach the fuel line at the inlet side of the fuel pump.  Blow some compressed air through the line back toward the tank.  This will clear the line and move any tank sediment away from the pick up.  Then re attach the line at the pump, and then remove the line from the carb or the inline filter, which ever is next in line.  Direct the fuel line into a suitable container ( a 20 oz soda bottle will work) then pull the coil wire from the dist.  Have an assistant crank the starter, and count the fuel pulses as the gas goes into the bottle.  for 12 pulses you should have at least 8 ounces of fuel in the bottle.  If not, you need to look at the fuel pump, the pin as mentioned, and many pumps have a brass sediment screen inside that can get clogged.  If you do have 8 + ounces then check the in line filter and or the needle and seat valve.  

Well, actually I got home from work looked under the car and there was gas in the bowl.  So I tried to start it up and it did.  It ran fine.  I am wondering if since I forgot and left the choke out that it may have flooded it or something?  But runs fine now. Thanks all.

Yes running with the choke on will cause poor dirveability.  You may also have fouled your spark plugs, pull them and have a look if they are black and sooty you should clean them up or put them back in and take a nice long ride to get them good and hot to burn the carbon off.