Brake And Clutch Pedals And The Mc Pin

ssnowden

I'm replacing the old MC with a new one. I followed the instructions in the shop manual to disassemble it and I've read the threads on the bushing in the brake and clutch pedals.

I still need to clean up everything, but I'm very doubtful the bushing is going to go back into the brake pedal with the pin as it barely came off and actually stretched the brass bushing as it came off it was so tight. 

20130916_174516.jpg

I know it's a dumb question, (so I'll call it a sanity check :) ) but I want to make sure I'm clear on what correct actually is since the bushing has a hole for the grease fitting, I'm assuming that the pin stays in place on the MC with the pedals rotating on the pin with the bushing and grease, but I wanted to make sure that is the case. How it was working the way it was on the car doesn't make sense to me since the brake pedal was unable to move on the pin it was so tight and grease wouldn't go anywhere and the pin was really tight on the MC. Of course the pedal was on the floor, so it may not have worked if the brakes were working.

On one of the threads, Don recommended to take it to a machine shop to get it all fitting correctly. I'm assuming correctly is having them make the pin a bit smaller where the pedals with bushings are snug but move on the pin with grease but the pin stays in place in the MC? 

Edited by ssnowden

In your photo it looks like the pin on the mc is pretty badly corroded.  It should be a smooth shaft.  Perhaps cleaning it with a file or sandpaper would be enough to allow the pedal to rotate, or as you suggest, take it to a machine shop to have the pin pressed out of the mc and cleaned up.

Dave

Looks to me like it was so tight due to the shaft being so rusty. Wire wheel the shaft,oil it up a little,and then see what kind of fit you have.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked with the Mitchell motor parts, and it turned out that they didn't really have them even though their database showed they did, but they did have two MC pins in stock. They were $89 each, so I passed.

Instead, I used my Dremel tool with a brass brush to be as gentle as I could be on the bushing and the brake pedal cylinder it goes into and it really cleaned up both of them nicely.  I then used  the Dremel and got the MC pin smoothed it out where they went back together very well. I greased them and the grease spread like it is supposed to inside, so I it's all in good shape now.