Build Card For My Old Dodge

JIPJOBXX

Dodge produced 67,376 Vehicles and by the numbers my car was 1047 from the last built. 

The one I had was sold to the buyer in Boston,Mass on Dec 3rd,1941. She traded a 1941 Dodge business coupe in on it,and she must have really loved it because she kept and drove it until she had to quit driving in 1972. At which time it had 30,000 miles on it,and she parked it in her heated garage,and it remained there until she died in 1994. That's when the guy I bought it from bought it at her estate sale. He took the car home in New Hampshire and parked it in is back yard and it stayed there with snow building up around it in the winter and grass in the summer until I bought it a couple of years ago. He was restoring a 42 business coupe,and he bought this car because it was so original to use as a guide to restoring his car. It even had the original hubcaps still on it when I bought it,but they,the distributor,and a few other parts were missing when it was delivered to my house. I contacted the seller about this,and he actually told me,"My son was saying something about he knew where he could sell a few parts off the car when he came around here to pump the tires up and move it out front so your guy could pick it up,so I guess maybe he took them." Just like that meant he wasn't stealing,and it was perfectly ok.

By the time I got the car the only outside trim or chrome pieces that were usable or even fixable was the side trim,and some of that had been sold by the son. Even the headlight and taillight buckets were rusted out. The grille was a total loss. Rusted away from the inside. So where the headlight doors. The bumpers may be savable by using brass to fill the pits after blasting,but there may just be too many of them.

I have now found and bought every NOS outside trim part I need except for the bumpers and the passenger side of the grille. I was shocked to discover it was easier to find NOS trim pieces than it was used ones,and cheaper to buy them than it was to have used stuff rechromed.

I did buy a set of used bumbers and a good used grille off of a black out car a guy had in Kansas,and I think that stuff will be good to get rechromed once I remove the paint.

Still looking for a front crossmember so I can cut away the one in my car that is rusted away at the bottom due to rats nests,and use patch pieces to repair it with. I found and bought new outer rockers that will probably work ok with minor fitting. I bought a 4 foot commercial sheet metal brake,a bead roller,and other sheet metal tools to take care of the lower parts of the body and the floors.

Now it's just a matter of finding the time to get started on it. Meahwhile,it's sitting on my lift inside my shop and out of the weather to keep the rust from rusting.

BTW,where did you get the build sheet from? Was it hidden away somewhere in the car,or did you buy it from some Chrysler historicial society?

BTW,where did you get the build sheet from? Was it hidden away somewhere in the car,or did you buy it from some Chrysler historicial society?

Chrysler Historical Collection. You will need to have proof of ownership, the serial number and send them some money. Last I checked the contact information was:

12501 Chrysler Fwy.

CIMS 410-11-21

Detroit, MI 48288 USA

ATTN: Historical Information

Phone: +1.313.252.2902

Fax: +1.313.252.2928

E-mail: archives@wpchryslermuseum.org

http://wpchryslermuseum.org/

I'm sending off this week for the build card on my 1949 Windsor. They said I don't have the typical documentation they require for proof of ownership, but they'd accept it with current photos of the car and its vehicle number plate.

When I bought it out of this Kansas shed, I received a signed but never executed Indiana title from years ago. In Kansas, from what I've been told by the DMV, I won't even need that to get it titled. Once its roadworthy -- so long as they have the vehicle number and no evidence it was stolen, and it passes inspection by the Highway Patrol -- I'll get a new Kansas title and it won't even be a salvage title.

So, photocopy of the title, a couple of pictures of the car and its vehicle number plate, the completed Chrysler Historical form and of course my payment information, and my build card will be on its way. I'm pretty stoked.

I am finding a fault in this card...the sequence number, even if the third digit be interpreted as a 4, 5 or even close to the very end and the number is a 6..(position equates a 4 in my book)....the last five digits of the card sequence are 33330 which equates to a 10,000 unit error.....is this truly the correct card for this car....?  While it is clear Jon has the body number on his car as proof..this card is just not cutting the mustard as properly matched by the society.  What am I reading wrong here...

Chrysler Historical Collection. You will need to have proof of ownership, the serial number and send them some money. Last I checked the contact information was:

12501 Chrysler Fwy.

CIMS 410-11-21

Detroit, MI 48288 USA

ATTN: Historical Information

Phone: +1.313.252.2902

Fax: +1.313.252.2928

E-mail: archives@wpchryslermuseum.org

http://wpchryslermuseum.org/

Thank you!

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I hope it's not against good decorum to raise this old topic up, but I figured "why not" instead of making a new one.

I was looking to submit a Build Card request, but my title and registration state my P15's engine number as the VIN, instead of the serial number. I emailed the historical services department for clarification, asking if I needed to send a photo of the serial number plate in addition to the registration. I received an extremely prompt reply, but it was not what most would consider good news.

Here is a direct quote from the historic services department:

"I looked to see if we had a build record for the serial number you provided: 250051xx.  Unfortunately, we are missing the range 25004758-25005203.  It was not stated on the microfilm records why these were missing and nothing further exists within the company for this serial number.

I am very sorry I could not help you further.  If you have any questions, please let me know."

So... for the over 9,000 Special Deluxe built in the LA plant for model year 1946, they are missing 445 records. Sadly, the records of my car fall within that range.

Does anyone have any other recommended sources that I can use to find factory information on these old cars? I'm familiar with the VIN decoder at ply33.com, which gave me some great information. However, it doesn't hold a candle to what the build cards provide.

Thanks for any help!

I google searched it, since Fiat acquired chrysler I believe the site has changed

Fiat Chrylser Automobiles
Historical Services
12501 Chrysler Freeway
CIMS 410-11-21
Detroit, MI 48288 USA
http://www.fcanorthamerica.com/company/Heritage/Pages/Build-Records.aspx

the link should take you straight to the order instructions page

Nice to see from someone Close By in the Northwest!!! 

Edited by BlueSkye48
  • Like 1