Costa Concordia Recovery...

P15-D24

Amazing to see all the prep work and how its coming to life. Anyone know what the plans are for it once its upright and floating? Is it scrap or going to be fixed and put back into service? I imagine the owners would want to put it back into service but who is going to want to take a cruise on it?

Edited by Young Ed

the ill fated cruise was human error I believe. Poor ship did not have anything to do about that.....it's not the Christine of the cruise liners....else it would have self righted.....money to build, money to outfit and now money to salvage..then money to rebuild....it may go down in history as the most expensive cruise liner..

It's going to be scrapped. Question is where they will tow it as the primary harbor for scrap job is not yet ready to accept it. 

Budget for recovery is 600 million. 

That was all this operation was suppose to do. Next they will attach the starboard "floats", then re-float it for towing and scrap.

Don't think they will have it re-floated till spring 2014. 

WIth it upright hopefully they can find the two missing bodies. 

On this topic some asked why it would not be repaired and reused.
After looking at the pics on the damage it would appear that maybe they could off the front 1/3rd, middle 1/4?, stern section 1/4" put it back together and make a ship for a Saudi prince. Cheap for them?
:angry: NOT!!
I sure hpoe they do find the missing for some closure for the familys!

The engineering is impressive. Glad you posted on some future timelime to refloat it as i have not seen any. Thanks

Doug

Edited by DJ194950

Watched a program on one of th Discovery Channels last night regarding the ship.  It was mentioned several time that modern ships are not designed to be any thing but vertical, and that from lying in its side had narrowed the ship by about 10 feet vs its design width.  The construction of the ship featured a steal hull but the super structure ad accommodation decks were of aluminum and built for vertical stresses only.  Kinda gives on pause wondering how it would fare against a large wave hitting it from the side.  I guess that's why them keep them in little ponds like the Med and Caribbean.