Can A Flat Head Be A Daily Driver, 230Cu, Route Van

rkldesign

Can a route van even go 70 with a 230? Pushin a lot of air.

• Like 1

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but ya gotta consider the entire package when looking at power upgrades.  Getting a higher top speed brings into focus the need for stability & control while at speed.  Cross winds could be dangerous, headwinds can negate any top speeds that can be acquired by finding a new gear ratio if the engine does not have enough torque to overcome these forces...and then there is braking...the metric I use for attempting a foray into the unknown is to determine what disasters could happen, and how I would react to those situations.  If I can think of an instance that makes that adventure too expensive for my resources, then I reconsider my approach.  I opted out of repainting my D250 years ago because of the blue book value of the truck vs. the possibility of being T-boned by an uninsured motorist.  If you are considering spending X% of your budget to get Y% more speed (and control), is it worth it?  This is a good question to ask, and probably why many larger trucks are not upgraded for speed...but if you can pull it off, many folks (myself included) will have a "kudos" for ya :cool:

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

That's wonderful to see someone actually get one of those rare Route vans running and use it.... especially stock!

Kudo's to you..I like it! 

Thanks,  It has also been fun to take it on the freeways.  I went to Goodguys a few weeks ago and on the way back it was windy on 680 freeway.  I was leaning for a while there in high winds.  But it is satisfying to be able to say I drove it here!  The flatty runs great too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

I like the rear bumper. Looks like a decent size track chain. D6?

Yes it is a track chain, not sure of model, found it on a ranch, buried and nice and crusty.  Stick welded the joints and the original holes happen to line up with the bumper holes and so I bolted it on.  

Dodge-7-15-15.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wayfarer said:

Way cool driver!

What's next?

My 15 year old son and I are now onto a 1939 ford 1/2 ton pickup.  He wants to do something like this, see below.  And he wants to go to Bonneville Salt Flats next year.   I am searching for a 30's Dodge pickup myself.  

c2b5efb2b0f5c66ef02638d8af84cecc.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Got a master link to the rear bumperB)

Had to look up what a master link looked like, I may need to go back to the ranch with my metal detector to see if I can find it.  I may be using the last of the track for more bumpers.  It may actually be off a D3, not sure.  

On August 22, 2015 at 4:07 PM, JBNeal said:

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but ya gotta consider the entire package when looking at power upgrades.  Getting a higher top speed brings into focus the need for stability & control while at speed.  Cross winds could be dangerous, headwinds can negate any top speeds that can be acquired by finding a new gear ratio if the engine does not have enough torque to overcome these forces...and then there is braking...the metric I use for attempting a foray into the unknown is to determine what disasters could happen, and how I would react to those situations.  If I can think of an instance that makes that adventure too expensive for my resources, then I reconsider my approach.  I opted out of repainting my D250 years ago because of the blue book value of the truck vs. the possibility of being T-boned by an uninsured motorist.  If you are considering spending X% of your budget to get Y% more speed (and control), is it worth it?  This is a good question to ask, and probably why many larger trucks are not upgraded for speed...but if you can pull it off, many folks (myself included) will have a "kudos" for ya :cool:

I did decide to let it be and drive it at its top speed with red flags and flashers to get to car shows.  On a recent trip back from a show I experienced high winds and it felt like I was going to tip over.  But the van weighs in at 4720 lbs empty.  I donut think it will tip over any day soon.  I did remove some of its leafs to get it lower to the ground and placed some airbags over the leafs to handle the loads.  It did make it more of a pleasure to drive and have a lower stance.  I can put it back to stock as I did not alter the suspension or the frame in any way.  If I need to take it long distances I guess I can rent a truck and trailer to do so.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Got a master link to the rear bumperB)

25 minutes ago, rkldesign said:

Had to look up what a master link looked like, I may need to go back to the ranch with my metal detector to see if I can find it.  I may be using the last of the track for more bumpers.  It may actually be off a D3, not sure.  

Track chains don't have a "Master" link like you may be familiar with on a roller chain. Each link bushing interlocks with the next link as they are assembled and pined together. The end link will have bushings that are flush with the side of the links so that it will slip inside the links of the other end. Spacers are put into the links at the other end, to make up difference in bushing length, and a special pin is pressed into place. Unless it's a SALT (Sealed And Lubricated Track) chain. Then the "Master" link is split with half on each end of the chain. Once they are mated together the track pad bolts hold it together. SALT chains can also be identified by the rubber plug in one end of each pin. This is where the lubricant is injected after assembly.

Merle

21 hours ago, rkldesign said:

Thanks,  It has also been fun to take it on the freeways.  I went to Goodguys a few weeks ago and on the way back it was windy on 680 freeway.  I was leaning for a while there in high winds.  But it is satisfying to be able to say I drove it here!  The flatty runs great too.

So, exactly how fast were you going? Was't this nerve wracking on the freeway? But thumbs up to you Bro....

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

Remount the chain 90 degrees, then put two sprockets together, over / under and let them roll freely hither and yon as you drive.  Drive the driver following nuts! 

Ok I got to ask.........what are you smoking?  I want some.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, minicooper said:

Man, what a beautiful thing! I've never been a fan of white walls, but yours look awesome with those black wheels and shiny lug nuts. All you lack is a roof rack full of surf boards and a hula girl on the dash. :)

Roland

If I could fine racks wide enough!  And longboards would have to be loaded on them.  A real hula girl on the parcel shelf would be 10 fold better.

Edited by rkldesign
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

might be a little late but brad at santa rosa driveline in santa rosa made us a great driveline for our 52 cranbrook... out modern style u joints on it and out the door it was 300$... he had it ready for us in a day