Can A Flat Head Be A Daily Driver, 230Cu, Route Van

rkldesign

I find the heat riser very useful here in the southern part of the SF Bay Area during winter months. The morning humidity near the bay can be fairly high and the temperatures in the high 30s to high 40s which is the time that the heat riser does the most good.

I would have thought Napa would have a climate similar enough to have the heat riser help on cold start drivability too. On the other hand Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, etc. are not known for their wines. :)

My heat riser had been blocked off in the past, before I bought the truck, by a metal plate sandwiched between the two manifolds. All riser parts are gone. Despite this, when i was running a single carb before, start up and warm up didn't seem to take very long. And I have always lived within 10 miles of the coast (now near Tod). However, after switching to a dual carb manifold, warm-up takes a lot longer. The heat chamber is now between the carbs, not below it like before. I'd vote to keep the heat riser if you have it intact. Heat your intake with every option you get and your fuel will work better for you.

Hey guys need some input on the brake drums.

My front drums have been boiled and mic’d…one is 40 over and the other is 60 over.

Guys at the machine shop seem to think re-surfacing them to 60 and 80 is OK…What do you think? 

On the rears they are both 80 over and would need to be done at 100 over….is this kosher or should I try to find new/old drums to replace them? 

Any tips on where to go to find some?

Thanks,

Richard

Here is a pic of my rear drum:

rear right

You'll probably have to make-do for a while.  Rare brake drums can be very hard to find and very expensive, Honestly unless you find them in some small remote back country junk yard you are going to pay my guess since the invention of the eBay junk yard $200-$300 (I hope you get lucky). If it were my vehicle (and I wish it were) I'd be on the lookout for replacements.  I can't attest to the safety of running 100 over.

Good Luck,  May you find some NOS for $25 each. 

Hank  :)

Edited by HanksB3B

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got the drums back after turning them, there is still alot of meat on these babies and since I will not be going over 55 in this beast I think it will be safe enough.  I also got back the head after resurfacing and some brand new flat heat-bolts. 

My biggest challenge right now is UV joints.  I am having a tough time finding replacements.  Anyone know of a UV joint warehouse stacked full of parts from 1950?

Thanks,

RK

Service Package UV Joint 1243-615, It has all the parts included for replacement of one joint.

I need 3 Uv joints, I have one NOS found on ebay a month ago.  If I have to mix and match the parts I know are good to make up four joints then I may have to. 

The UV Joint dimensions are as follows, From cap edge across to cap edge it is 4 3/8" and the cap diameter is 1 1/4".

I am looking in my parts manuals for any other parts info.

RK

1243615 also fits 2-3/4 ton heavy series  1948-53 dodge trucks. Collector Auto Supply lists one....

If you get in trouble I probably have some good used ones.

I assume your truck is the lighter DU model? The EU uses the extremely hard to find 3-4 ton #947555 rear  axle U-joints.

Bob

post-302-0-64632700-1386522802_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Ok, I do not remember if I got their info from you guys but Jackson's Oldtime Auto Parts has two of my u-joints in stock, they think....they have to check another warehouse of stacked parts to make sure.  If they have them I would be relieved as I am having a rough time finding them here in Napa.  

So to recap what I have done so far,

Head boiling and re-surfaced, ready to paint and install.

Brake shoes relined, wheel cylinders found at 35.00 each-new

Drums boiled and turned, ready for paint

genny rebuilt,

water pump rebuilt,

starter rebuilt,

plugs wires, cap, rotor, condensor, coil in hand,

battery- optima on hand

oil pan removed and cleaned,

fuel pump, got it.

oil pump removed and needs to be cleaned,

wheels getting rebuilt to hold radials, Stockton Wheel,

Body sand blasted and patch paneled in rot areas, primed and waiting for me to pick it up.

I am hoping for some more good weather so I can strip the frame and repaint it.

Any suggestions on type of paint or application?

Thanks,

Richard

Frame?

I prefer a black Epoxy primer followed by a black Acrylic Enamel with a hardener added. 

Omni or Shopline...both are PPG and a fair price.

48D

Wow, Jackson's Old Time parts came through, have two NOS uv-joints coming and only need to find one more,

Turns out that the part number that cross refs with the Dodge part number 1243-615 is Neapco-285200 or Precision 417.  

Too bad part numbers have to be changed from supplier to supplier, would be better to keep them the same and just add a company name to the part number.

Oh well, just happy to find 3 total and now one to go.

Richard

Wow, Jackson's Old Time parts came through, have two NOS uv-joints coming and only need to find one more,

Turns out that the part number that cross refs with the Dodge part number 1243-615 is Neapco-285200 or Precision 417.  

Too bad part numbers have to be changed from supplier to supplier, would be better to keep them the same and just add a company name to the part number.

Oh well, just happy to find 3 total and now one to go.

Richard

Do you think that 417 is the same company as my 414 which makes it a different application?

I think your box is a precision co. box, as I have seen other precision boxes and they are yellow.  Did you have measurements on your UV joint?  Cap diameter and distance across from cap edge to cap edge?

Best I can get with a tape measure is 3 23/32 across and 1 3/32 cap.

Hey all,

Picked up glass today for all the windows and I did something different for the rear door glass, it is the glass with wire that you would see in old high school doors.  I guess it was security type glass.  The other windows is the standard tempered auto glass.  Also when I got the radiator re-cored I asked them to not paint it black as I might like to let it tarnish like it has been around for a while.  Should I worry about it not being painted?  

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another Factory MoPar U-joint $35.00 OBO!... http://www.ebay.com/itm/121088985921?item=121088985921&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

• 1 month later...

Well guys and gals, the DRV body is back home and I am starting the assembly.

Here are some pics of the body and the wheels that I got back from Stockton Wheel.

Inside media blasted and primed

Outside media blasted and epoxy primed

Rebuilt wheels

Wheels were made with the original centers added to new barrels.  Can install any type of tire now.
  • Like 2