Where Is The Old Car Market Going???

JIPJOBXX

I think most of here notice a change in the younger American additude of loving there cars and enjoying a cool ride.  The more I go to car shows that feature old machines the more I see more old guys just sitting next next to them chatting with more old people.  Into days world its seems to me like the younger generation just wants to get from point A To B in a cheap manner and that diffently is not in a 55 chevy ;).  So I think we secretly see in the future our old cars being put away in musiums of what ust to be and replaced by small none fixible cars for the public.  Sure there will always be a gear head around but not like when we were growing up and everyone had some type of car.  Between the price of fuel, insurance and cars of course the American dream of owning something different I think is pretty much in the tank and the tank is being transported to dump.  Thats just my thought and that is probably the way it is across America.  Jon

AviewwithmybuddyDon_zps496eae13.jpg

people identify with what they are familiar...we older folks like these cars because we grew up with them, thus the attraction...old men talking to old men..lose the baggy checked pants and PAK may talk with you..else to them you are just a dinosaur...trust me, no lost love there....the PAKs of today are involved with the cars they grew up with...rice burning J cars with little power pack engines, turbos, nitrious etc...basically the same attraction just a whole lot different look of cars and approach to power..start now to entertain their old age fantasy by buying a few of these desirable cars, store them away and if you grandkids don't keep them for themselves...(after you dead and gone of course)....maybe the great great grandkids may get to go to college

Maybe car shows should try something different to attract younger people. I don't like going to shows anymore because I don't like sitting all day in a chair waiting for someone to come up and talk about my car. How boring is that? There's nothing for the young person. Maybe take away the signs that say "Look, but don't touch." Whenever I take my car out, people always ask questions, want to look at it and I even let them sit in it. They always want to sit in the back because there is so much room.

What about the Barrett Jackson auction, and Chasing Classic Cars where everything is $100,000.00 or a million. Yeah, let me run right out and get me a classic car! I like to watch all the car shows but I take them for what they are,entertainment. Maybe it scares away the average person.

On a good note, Hagerty Insurance called me because I wanted my son (16) on the policy to drive my 46 Chrysler. They just wanted to ask that I be with him when he drives it. They said they love to see younger kids have an interest.

put your car out there for grubbing handed little snot nosed rug rats to touch and crawl over..bad enough we have "adults" that take liberties...actually I have not met any young kids that I wish to talk cars with..

of course the insurance companies want their money when you dead and gone form your survivors...remember it is not cynicism if you know for certain they are out to get you....lol

I think that Plymouthy is right. Last fall I attended a local car show hosted by the men's club of a church. About 80 or so cars. At first it was just old guys with old cars, then a club of young guys arrived. About 20 cars, nothing older than the 80's. Some tuner cars, some customs with elaborate paint jobs, some just old Hondas, Toyotas and Nissans. They were a nice group of guys, mostly in their 20's, some had their wives or girlfriends with them. They showed appreciation for the old cars, and we commented favorably on their cars. They won their share of trophies and at the end of the day a good time was had by all.

You have to remember that our cars are 60+ years old. When I graduated high school a 60 yr. old car would have been a 1910 model. When I was 18 I had no interest in a 60 yr old car. Did you when you were 18?

Dave

Heck, I'm only 32 and I love these old cars as well as antique tractors. Street rods are cool, but for me the beauty lies in the cars that are original. There is something to be said for the true historical presence of these machines and how they came from the factory. The true gems of the shows are the genuine antiques, in my opinion.

. . . When I graduated high school a 60 yr. old car would have been a 1910 model. When I was 18 I had no interest in a 60 yr old car. Did you when you were 18?

Actually yes. But I settled for something more practical that held the possibility of actually using it as a car (four wheel brakes, cruising speed above 35 MPH, etc.).

But I think your point is in general correct. I've heard a variation that goes something like this:

An antique car is something built before you were born.

A classic car is what you wanted when in high school but could not afford.

A new car is anything built after your oldest child was born.

Most people want that "classic car", the one they wanted when in high school.

true gems of the show are the one that catch your eye regardless of it depth of build or originality...I will walk pass hundreds of built cars to see a "project" car on the back row along the fence where they seem to outcast these diamonds in the rough...I also love the orphans cars....

• Like 1

Actually yes. But I settled for something more practical that held the possibility of actually using it as a car (four wheel brakes, cruising speed above 35 MPH, etc.).

But I think your point is in general correct. I've heard a variation that goes something like this:

An antique car is something built before you were born.

A classic car is what you wanted when in high school but could not afford.

A new car is anything built after your oldest child was born.

Most people want that "classic car", the one they wanted when in high school.

that will also get you in trouble.....trust me..just added two more of my 'lusted for" cars from my youth and when I could in no manner afford them...be it for the money they were asking or just so impractical for a young man starting a family/career one has to pass at the time...

I lost interest in the cars I wanted in high school. Granted, I owned some of these cars in later years but now I really like, as mhaywood said, genuine antiques. Subtle changes are ok but nothing that takes away from the car's originality. I want to experience what it must have been like to drive that car back when.

I always loved 32 three window coupes. When I see one now with the sterilized interior, molded door panels, a/c, etc. I'm a little disapointed.

Until I 'reconditioned' my 52 Dodge truck, I thought it took LOTS of money and skill to redo a vehicle. Now that is true if you go crazy on paint, interiors, engines, AC, PS and in effect change the vehicle. 

The only things I changed  were safety related: front discs, rear axle for highway speeds, and radial tires. At the few shows I've gone to the professional photographers and visitors are very impressed by the old paint and the cast iron flat head six. I always have someone to talk to, seldom get back to my chair. 

I suspect that should I, and I just might, prep the exterior on what I have on my 53 wagon, do a very good job on the chassis and a practical approach to the interior, put on good rims and tires that I could sell it for just as much as if I would put a nice paint job on it. The buyer then can paint it HIS color. 

A wheat interior goes great with blue, tan, yellow, maroon, black, etc. so with a wheat color interior I have not shut off anyones' dream.

So many rebuilt cars are so expensively built that they discourage more than they entice in my opinion. 

So to the beach I will go with this:

Suburbaninthealley001_zps939ee10a.jpg

And it would look fantastic with the maroon on the bottom and the gray on the top like this:

50Plymouthfastbackmaroonandgrey_zps77ba1

Patina Paul, aka PP! 

My recent experience at our local Mopar Madness car show was that there are lots of young people that are customizing the cars of their generation, but there are a few that are interested in the more vintage machines.  One young fellow drove a 48 Plymouth ( I think) 4 door from Albany to Syracuse (about 90 miles).  The car used to belong to his grandpa - he had quite a chat with Greg g and seemed very happy to have the car and eager to learn all he could from Greg. At the same show I stumbled upon my uncles 1950 Desoto 2 door hardtop.  Young fellow bought it from my brother a few years ago, painted it flat black, and installed a 318/torqurflite.  When I approached him to verify the cars orgin he was very apologetic to have removed the stock power train.  I assured him that I was just happy to see the car out of the barn and away from the crusher.  

Heck, I'm only 32 and I love these old cars as well as antique tractors. Street rods are cool, but for me the beauty lies in the cars that are original. There is something to be said for the true historical presence of these machines and how they came from the factory. The true gems of the shows are the genuine antiques, in my opinion.

I couldn't agree with you more on this MH. At a ripe 46 years of age now, I wasn't around when my 52 truck was initially purchased and made its maiden journey way from the dealer in Brisbane to the farm in Dalby. I am now proud to admit that my hobby of old trucks has turned into a habit! Whilst I appreciate the time and effort that some folks put into their 'streetrods', I am more interested in preserving my old vehicle/s for the younger generation to see how it was way back then. Funnily enough, we have many young (and also older) people interested in old vehicles here in Oz. I am more than pleased to sit around at shows and talk to people about my old truck. The sheer amazement from the younger generation at how very different vehicles were back then compared to their modern day vehicles, and the stories from the older generation that bring back fond memories of their involvement with a similar vehicle way back then is what makes it all worthwhile for me.

One of the proudest moments in my life was in late 2011 when I took the previous owner of my 52 truck for a drive in the restored truck that he had bought new almost 60 years earlier. The smile on his 94 year old face and the fond memories that my old truck returned for him made every ounce of my restoration effort well worth while!...

post-3915-0-06183400-1378763079_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-53370400-1378763088_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I hear from a lot of guys lately that the muscle cars of the '50's - '60's - 70's are the most popular right now. I'm 33 and trying to sell my vehicles from that era to buy more '40's era cars.  After attending another pre-'49 only show two weeks ago, with 3800 entries of street rod and restored cars, I can see it is still popular with some people. Lots of younger folks were there too. 

There are several guys in our group that encourage the young kids to sit in there cars and have their picture taken.  I try to avoid that unless it is someone I know, but hey if I've got a old car with an old interior I'm not real worried about, who cares.  10 years from now that kid may pick an old car over a souped up Honda to drive.  Would be worth it to me. 

I gave up on the all day shows, other than the larger shows several years ago.  Even at the larger shows I get there early and am usually gone by 2-3 and headed back to the hotel, usually don't go on Sunday and avoid the awards ceremonies.  I enjoy the local cruise in's, where the wife and I can eat supper, hang out with the car people, and still get to drive our car.  Having a whole lot more fun and avoiding the trophy crowd.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I teach high school automotive classes and lot's of the kids love old cars and trucks. They always tell me they can't afford an old car, truck or even sixties muscle cars. Most wind up with tuners because they can get a running car cheap (and that's part of the appeal, it's a car they can drive right now. They aren't good at waiting, and I doubt we were either). They don't realize how much money they will have to put into the tuner to make it what they want it to be.