Rotisserie For Cab?

Bobacuda

Saw a thread where a guy built one for an early A Body mopar out of 3/4 inch ply with a large semi-circle. It was reinforced with 2 by 6s i believe. Bolted to the bumper holes. Pretty slick.. Do a search on "For A Bodies only"  I think

Edited by bbbbbb99

I built a body cart for working on  them.  Bottom is 1x3 rectangular tubing with castors on each end,  2 cross pieces set at 90 degrees to the long base pieces with a distance between them to match up with cab mount dimensions, four short uprights with a flat pad for bolts that go through the cab mount holes.  bottom of the cab is probably only a foot off the ground but I still have reasonably good access to the roof of the cab.   Uprights are short enough I can roll the cab onto it's back on top of the uprights without a lot of work and gives good access to the bottom of the cab.   The uprights and pads are only welded enough to be secure.  I can  cut them loose and weld longer uprights on, bolt 2 x 4s to the top and have a work station for the bed panels or assembling/ painting the complete bed.  It's been used for fenders,  hoods, running boards, grilles, tailgates, etc.

I built a trolley for my 52 truck. We set it up on stands for sandblasting with the trolley attached. We attached out-riggers to the trolley for panel beating to get the truck body a better height to work on. I'm about to use the same trolley for my 53 truck build.

I haven't posted the build link for a while - plenty of photos of the 52 truck rebuild there that show the trolley... http://gallery.oldholden.com/Streetneat/album73/Davins+Desoto/?g2_page=1 .

post-3915-0-38838600-1378760953_thumb.jpg

Todd B -

I'm located in Texas, about 45 miles from San Antonio, so it would be a long road trip - but I appreciate the offer.  Do you have any photos of your "cab flipper" in it's flipped mode?  Also, any diagrams with measurements of it's construction that I could take to a welder friend of mine to make without having to bring the cab to him for fabricating a copy of your "cab flipper?"

BTW, in 1971 after high school, prior to the military, several of my friends and I made a road trip to north Wisconsin and Upper Michigan in my '51 Plymouth. I still remember how pretty the woods and lakes were (it was August, so it was only cold at night).  I also remember the vast number of mosquitos that were so big it seemed they could stand flat-footed and make love to a goose.  

Thanks again.

Edited by Bobacuda

I also remember the vast number of mosquitos that were so big it seemed they could stand flat-footed and make love to a goose.  

Thanks again.

I was out in the yard last night and I overheard a couple mosquitos talking. One said, "Should we eat him here, or carry him back to the nest?" The other one replied, "We should eat him here. If we carry him back to the nest the big ones will get 'im."  :P  :D

• Like 1

I put 6" casters under a pallet and the cab sat on it.  To work on the underside I put a moving quilt on the floor and rolled the cab forward off the cart resting it on the firewall and propping the rear of the cab to give me more height.   After completing the bottom(dents, rust and painting) I put an old blanket on the cart and put the cab back. 

This is what I did......

Little different, welded some tabs on the sides and lifted it up and down with a winch on the crane.

Spun it around like a rosie. The back of the cab is of course not worked on til back on the frame.

I ground off the tabs afterwards leaving behind no clues. To keep it from swingin while sanding etc...

we rested the cab on a few small tires.

48D  

Note: In these pics, the doors were not removed as we were building this truck to race...not show.

post-340-0-01526400-1378955165_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-65563800-1378955551_thumb.jpg

post-340-0-41658100-1378955868_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 1