Road Trip Through The Americas

Don Coatney

All three routes I 80, I 70, Rt 50, all have a long boring stretch. It has it's own beauty but it then gets repetitious. Need a good local talk show with a highly opinionated host for drives like that.

Should check the map, but if i recall, you picked up I 70 around Richmond and have utah ahead of you. That is not all that exciting either, but far better than the LA area.

Edited by pflaming

Day 21

Denver Co.

Total miles to date 7332.

Spent the day on I-70. Lots of good scenery and high elevations. Higest was 14600. Had a problem with overheating because 2 spark plug wires were shorting out. Elected to replace the Champion spark plugs with NGK. This worked and we were able to make it over the top without overheating.

Link to todays photos.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/#/user/DonCoatney/library/Billy%20Austin/Day%2021?sort=3&page=1&_suid=138050292727907511969711144462

P9290030.jpg

P9290034.jpg

P9290031.jpg

P9290026.jpg

P9290020.jpg

• Like 1

Snow on the ground and still have the AC on?? (vent open.)

Doug

Don, like you I've traveled a bit as a part doing business. Humans are like ponies, once we turn our heads towards home, it's " hammer's down', 'pedal to the medal'. Drive carefully, don't let the 'urgency' overtake the reality. One half day more is not that much.

Steve.

From Denver to my house is 1194 miles. Plan is to split the difference and clock two 600 mile days with no stops.We both are road weary and want to return home as fast as possible.

I can't blame you there.  After a week of living in a hotel I'm ready to head home.  Bet you are well past being ready.

Day 22

Kansas City MO. Long day. Total miles to date 7962.

Five hundred 75 miles from home. Expect to arrive tomorrow early evening. Will be good to get home.

Colorado through Kansas today. Discovered and paid a visit to the childhood home of our good friend and hero Walter. Took me no time to figure out why he did so much work improving the automobile. It was the only way he could escape Kansas. The visit to his home was the only thing of interest we found all day.

Link to todays photos.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/#/user/DonCoatney/library/Billy%20Austin/day%2022?sort=3&page=1&_suid=138059118095508414930969894344

P9300003.jpg

P9300005.jpg

P9300002.jpg

P9300004.jpg

P9300006.jpg

P9300008.jpg

P9290001.jpg

• Like 2

Shucks, Don.  You weren't far from me at all.  I don't know your exact route, but US-36 used to run right in front of my house in Hiawatha.  Several repurposed gas stations near by that have had all the character stripped right out of them during the renovations.

Day 23, Home Sweat Home

Survived, and I am alive and well.

Total miles for the trip 8543 to my house. Billy will have to add 217 miles for his grand total.

Drove from Kansas City, MO to Murfreesboro, TN today. Had a bit of excitement early this AM with a truck fire. I am surprised the cop did not shut the road down. We did not know how bad the fire was until we passed.When we passed this truck the heat was unbarable even at 20 MPH. We are lucky we made it past the truck with out the diesel tanks exploding.

Link to todays pictures.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/#/user/DonCoatney/library/Billy%20Austin/day%2023?sort=3&page=1&_suid=138068009428608678127940115592

P9300001.jpg

P9300002_01.jpg

P9300003_01.jpg

P9300004_01.jpg

Arch in St Louie

P9300009_01.jpg

Smashville skyline

PA010017.jpg

• Like 2

Glad you made it home.  I was on I-57 and I-64 a lot today between Mt. Vernon and Nashville, IL., Down to the Benton exit.  Looked for you guys heading southbound or east, guess we went through at different times. 

So 9000 miles and all the car required was a new set of plugs (cuz Champions are junque lately) and a set of wires.  So whats that 50 bucks worth of parts for nearly 10 K miles???  I would count that as pretty near trouble free, and 99% reliable.  In other words mechanically uneventful.  No mention of oil or coolant use, and probably fuel mileage went up a little after the engine wore in.

What an adventure, and one that I imagine you'll never forget!  I enjoyed traveling with you'uns by proxy - thanks so much for keeping us updated and for the photo journal.  (I'm still a bit confused as to why this is Off Topic, tho.)  No le hace, we knew were to find you. 

I enjoyed traveling with you by proxy - thanks so much for keeping us updated and for the photo journal. 

What he said!    ..................……..thank you very much for posting. :) 

Billy just called to report that he arrived home alive and intact. However he did have some car issues. He lives 217 miles from my place and when he was 100 miles from home he had to replace the fuel pump and the coil. That cost him a few hours at a rest stop but the car made it home under its own power. Billy will post later after he unwinds.