Road Trip Through The Americas

Don Coatney

Tomorrow the journey begins. This morning Lisa and I drove to Cummings, Ga. and inspected the D-24 owned by Billie Austin. The new engine looks ready and the car looks like it just left the dealer showroom. Lisa and I are spending the night in Dawsonville, GA and Lisa will head home in the morning.

Strange thing is there is a large group of Lamborghini and other exotic cars driving all over Dawsonville. Google explaind why.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34892-d3966847-r153638626-Velocity_Motorsports-Dawsonville_Georgia.html

I have never seen that many exotics on the road in one location.

Plan is for Billie and I to hit the road around eight in the morning goal first day is North Carolina via the Blue Ridge Parkway.

http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

I will post a report and pictures daily. 

Don: WOW, can you give an estimated trip destination(s) arrival. I will help us plan within a day or two to be able to at least throw sandwiches to you as you pass by. I'm certain many envy you on this trip. Best of luck and safety on the roads. 

Tomorrow I'll be off line for 5 days.  Reno Air Races which I will share,...ultimately.  

However, I am still hopeful of connecting with you and Billie when you get to the West Coast.  Hopefully you are posting your adventures on this site.  I'd come to near the Bay Area in hopes meeting others too.  And, as others have asked, can you provide an approximation of when you will be in general areas of the country?

Hey another MOPAR adventure starts.  Good luck to you guys and the car.  Hope that you consider a swing through my area.  If not spose I could take a trip to WNY to say Hey.

Just popped up under new content.  Does this format support subscribing to a thread?  Then you get an email notification when new content is added.

Hey another MOPAR adventure starts.  Good luck to you guys and the car.  Hope that you consider a swing through my area.  If not spose I could take a trip to WNY to say Hey.

Just popped up under new content.  Does this format support subscribing to a thread?  Then you get an email notification when new content is added.

Yes above the first post there is a follow this topic button. So far I only use it to keep track of my own build threads but I believe it will give you options about email notifications.

Perhaps Don thought that since this had moved from the engine build phase to the actual trip that it was now OT. Perhaps not. Only Don would know :)

I don't know why some things are in Tech. Archives, and some things are on P15D24 when they belong on the truck side, or in OT, but that's a question non-specific to this thread, so why did I post it here?

Has there been a proposed route for this adventure posted? I don't recall seeing it.

Not to the minute, or mile, but a general route proposed in the initial thread where Don posted about the engine build.

EDIT to correct link

http://p15-d24.com/topic/33840-how-to-have-a-weeks-worth-of-fun-in-3-days/

Edited by shel_bizzy_48

Here goes. It is now day 3 and we are in Winchester Virginia with close to 900 miles under our belt. Day one was eventful. Planed on an 8 AM start finally left around 10. Drove backroads to the start of the Blue Ridge Parkway in Cherokee, North Carolina. Google this road for the route. This is a long and winding steep 45 MPH road. The car was running a bit warm going up hill, very low on power, and the steering was a monster. Having to stop 3/4 of the way up the first big hill due to Billie believing that the engine was too hot we pulled off the road, raised the hood, and sat in the shade for a spell. After a cooling off period we checked the coolant level. Full and it did not puke over. Looked at the engine and found 2 spark plug wires off. Replaced them and we were off and running well for a while. Power was better and engine ran cooler until the next big hill. Once again hot and miss firing. Replaced the wires again and continued to the home of Billies parents arriving around 10PM. Spent the night (No Internet connection nor cell phone service as we were 15 miles from the closest town) and the next morning made a run into town for new plug wires, a compression gauge, fresh oil, and an front end allignment. Took two trips to town to complete all this. Did a compression check and the engine is very healthy. Replaced all plug wires and fixed that problem, the alignment cured the flakey steering, and the oil change helped in the engine cooling. Hit the road early this mornning and the car ran much bettter and in my opinion held good temperature although Billy still thinks it runs hot. Car has a 160 thermostat. Runs 160 at speed on level ground. Climbing long steep mountain roads it goes up to 180 and on a really long hill peaked at 212. Did not puke. I should add the car has a 373 rear gear and 30" tires. Here are a few pictures and a link to the rest.

I should add I had a good time visiting with Billies Parents. My cell phone went clear flat from roaming and is charging now.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/#/user/DonCoatney/library/Billy%20Austin/trip%20day%201-2-3?sort=3&page=1&_suid=1378955256544004256036861922935

P9080008.jpg

P9100022.jpg

P9100018.jpg

P9090013.jpg

P9090011.jpg

P9080003.jpg

• Like 3