Key Won't Come Out Of Ignition And Car Is Running!

JIPJOBXX

Interesting and kind of madning! Today I went out in my 2009 HHR and was about to go into our local post office when I tried to turn the ignition key to the oft position and it would not go and could not remove the key! I tried for a few moments to see if I had gone through the right procedures to turn the car oft and yes I had. So I thought boy this is different? Cannot turn car oft and key will not come out of the lock! So I decided to drive my car over the our local Chevy dealership and let them figure out the problem. I was glad that I had a parking space just outside the service area as I had to go in and talk to the service manager and was a bit concerned that someone might just get in my car and drive it away with the key on and the car running.

Well he stated that there might be a recall on the ignition key lock and I would haft to leave it there and he would call me back up in a hour or so. In the mean time they supplied me with a shuttle ride back to my house where I emidatily check out google for this problem and yep it has happen befor. I was lucky that I waa not over in Seattle or somewhere in the boon docks when this situation happened. One party that I read about on the internet had the same thing happen to them and they called a tow truck for help and all that towing company did was to tow there car to and impound lot and lot it run out of gas to get it to stop!!!!

Well the manager called me back up and stated my car was ready for pickup and there would be no charge!!! As it was a factory recall item but I still cannot figure out why I never received any information on this subject matter. They actually replace the tumblers with after model fix and now I have my car back and continuing on my daily outings.

If by chance anyone reading this does have a Chevy HHR or Chevy Colbolt this is an issue you should take care of if not taken care of all ready.  Or if you know someone who owns one of this cars give them a heads up about this problem. Jon

Unless the fault is safety or emissions related, they are not required to send out notification of convenience recalls.  These are usually handled when you bring your car in for service on an Oh By The Way basis.  If you don't normally trade at the dealership, it's a secret handshake kinda deal, and yer not in with the in crowd.  Of course you are free to check out GM's website for recall updates.

Edited by greg g

Jon, thanks for the heads up on this problem. By VIN our 09 falls into the "special coverage" category which extends the coverage for this failure until 8/31/18, or 120K. Others fall into the "customer satisfaction" category and qualify for dealer replacement at this time.

Many have gotten letters to let them know about the possible problem. No letter here.

If you have the problem and get to a dealer without prior knowledge of this being a problem, depending upon how sharp the service dept. is, you may have to pay for the repairs. Letter in hand is not a requirement for free repair. Knowledge that the problem exists is all that is required.

If the problem has already occurred, either group, GM will reimburse owners for repairs.(receipt required) (including towing)

We sit here in the "special" group. The "sit and hope" group. All I need is a call from my wife, at midnight, from 40 miles away, in the Wally parking lot, telling me she can't shut the car off. Then I will feel so "special". I suppose it is better than stopping the car, and not being able to turn the key to start it again.

I guess we are in the less likely to have a problem group by VIN. They apparently know which vehicles they have put the crappier parts into.

The 2006-up Impalas have a similar issue where the key gets stuck and you can't turn it back far enough to remove.  We have an '08 Impala that has had most of the "they all do it" problems except this one, so I have my fingers crossed.  For the Impala, the work-around is to remove the ribbed pad under the ignition lock cylinder and push the retaining pin in with a screwdriver so you can finish turning the key.

The Chevy customer service number is 800-222-1020.  If you ever call them, be sure to ask how the weather is in the Phillipines.......