Electronic Ignition For My '41

BruceB

Hi, everyone.  My name is Bruce from Indiana and I am new to this forum.  Someone at the POC forums said that some of you fellows have converted your points and condenser ignition system to electronic ignition.  I would like to do the same with my '41 P12 Special Deluxe.  This should be doable, since there probably wasn't much difference in the distributors in the P12 and later models. Any recommendations for the best one to buy?   Thanks.

Bruce

After entering this forum you can use the search function at the top of the page for "electronic ignition conversion" and find older posts on what members have done. Some did their own conversions using slant six mopars converted, one co. makes the same, which should be found in that search, also you can go to the forums bar and go to resources page and look at downloads, there is a download with Pertronix electronic ign. conversions by dist. # that should be on you dist. tag on the side of the dist.

Many here will ask why the changeover?

I like it but many don't!

Doug

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. I converted to electronic ignition using Langdon's HEI kit (distributor & coil) & it works good for me. Some have used something from Petronix & should chime in and I believe others have converted slant 6 dizzys....not sure if they're electronic or not though.

Also, before the police come, try the search function, should find lots of info.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. I converted to electronic ignition using Langdon's HEI kit (distributor & coil) & it works good for me. Some have used something from Petronix & should chime in and I believe others have converted slant 6 dizzys....not sure if they're electronic or not though.

Also, before the police come, try the search function, should find lots of info.

Question: isn't Langdons set up made from / 6 dist.? Just for my knowledge am I askin!

A neebe won't understand the police reference, but I certainly do! ;)

Trying to type quickly as i"m not a good typist!  GOT TO GO NOW! :eek:

Doug

Question: isn't Langdons set up made from / 6 dist.? Just for my knowledge am I askin!

A neebe won't understand the police reference, but I certainly do! ;)

Trying to type quickly as i"m not a good typist!  GOT TO GO NOW! :eek:

Doug

Doug, it is a Mini HEI (as referred to by Langdon's) & is based on a GM 2.8L "S" truck 1982-84....and uses all the insides from that distributor, so they are readily available. It made my car more responsive, though it may have needed adjustment prior to changing over to the HEI.

I hope I haven't opened up a can of worms here asking about the e.i. for my car.  Can someone clue me in on the "police" reference, or is that another can of worms? :-)

Bruce

Not really, it's all in good fun! I feel that's why none of the "police"  have commented yet! But they are "lurking". Again I gest! I'm fine and time to take another calming pill!  ;)

A few forum members are real diehard and have very experienced opinions. I really do understand their points! They are Not wrong!

I do love and read this forum daily because it does give lots of info, pro and cons to ideas. Nothing better out there. Watch, read and see! :)

Doug

Has your car been changed over to 12V??  As most electronic ignition would require that modification first.  Pertronix has set up for 6V positive though most of their phone people remain ignorant of their availability.

More Pertronix info here

I believe site advertiser Vintage Power Wagons sells them. 

when I had my 1941 P11 Coupe which had been converted to 12V before I bought it I used the Langdon HEI dissy and found that it worked a treat, installed as instructions stated it was the best thing I did to the car......now there are some people who have issues with Mr Langdon, personally I found him quite helpful and delivered what he said he would promptly and packed well.........and I am here in Oz........but the trick is I think that both Langdons conversion and the Petronix and/or Slant 6 conversions all require that the car has been converted to 12volts..........anyway my 3 cents worth....regards, andyd

Is there a problem with your stock distributor? There are several options for upgrades. I toyed with converting a Ford HEI distributor as pictured below but I did not complete the install. I also once installed a Mallery hi-fire setup but I was not happy with it. I instead converted to dual points and I am happy with this setup.

dist3.jpg

varoom.jpg

dual_points_1.jpg

I don't see the need to convert yet.... but last time a friend tried the electronic ignition his overdrive kick down smoked it the first time he down shifted. Two smoked replacement electronic ings later and the points were back in style.....

There are as many opinions as there are cars with or with out. I converted mine to the slant six dizzy to cure the bucking and farting that was going on with the points set up. This only happened under hard acceleration. Never had a moments trouble after the conversion. As for the OD, I have a manual kickdown switch  on the gearshift knob.

There are as many opinions as there are cars with or with out. I converted mine to the slant six dizzy to cure the bucking and farting that was going on with the points set up. This only happened under hard acceleration. Never had a moments trouble after the conversion. As for the OD, I have a manual kickdown switch  on the gearshift knob.

Does it still short out the ing coil to kill the spark to give the lash needed to flop out of overdrive?

Does it still short out the ing coil to kill the spark to give the lash needed to flop out of overdrive?

I am running the Langdon set up with an R10 OD. However, I took a clue from Pete (Blueskies) experiences with his set up and did not connect the wire to short out the coil during shifting. Have had zero problems with it.

I tried to get my Langdon to do this, but failed.  I just disconnected that part of the circuit and use the throttle to unload it momentarily so it will drop out of OD.

Marty

What I did was use 2 Bosch relays. Power normally closed on the first one and normally open on the second.  When I want out of OD at any speed I simply push the button on the shift knob and this opens the first relay cutting power to the second ( which powers  the od sol ) and just take my foot off the gas and  walla out of OD.

This way I am in control of the function at any speed,  not just wide open throttle. Comes  in handy around town and going down hill.

What I did was use 2 Bosch relays. Power normally closed on the first one and normally open on the second.  When I want out of OD at any speed I simply push the button on the shift knob and this opens the first relay cutting power to the second ( which powers  the od sol ) and just take my foot off the gas and  walla out of OD.

This way I am in control of the function at any speed,  not just wide open throttle. Comes  in handy around town and going down hill.

I've got a push/pull on/off switch on my shifter that does the same thing.

Marty

To all and sundry--I am in south-central Indiana, Brown County in fact.  My car has not been converted to 12 V, and if I have to do so to install E.I, then I'll stick to points and condenser.  But boy, I remember having probs with points back in the day, and the folks at "mopar" placed the distributor on the L-head in a bad place for a shoulder of the road replacement of points.  I suppose regular tune-ups are the best way to handle the situation.  I just didn't realize that points and condenser for my distributor were readily available at any parts store.

Bruce

Hey Bruce

If you want to stay 6 volt the Pertronix kit will eliminate the points just get the coil with the kit. Many are using them with no problems.

Hope it helps.

Al