#1 mhaywood

mhaywood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHastings Mi
  • My Project Cars:1948 D-24 Custom Club Coupe

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:56 PM

I am thinking about refinishing the bumpers on my '48 D-24. Rechroming is way out of my price range at this point so I thought about powder coating them instead. I have a great powder coating shop practically next door and I can get great service. But I am worried about the adhesion of the powdercoat to the old chrome. Will the metal need to be blasted clean or can I etch the chrome with something? I have seen terrible results from people covering up chrome with paint, but I think the devil lies in the prep work. Any input? I was thinking about a chrome-look color choice on the powdercoat.

#2 wdoland

wdoland

Senior Member, have way too much spare time on my hands

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • My Project Cars:1947 Chrysler Windsor

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:46 PM

Powder coating will stick to the old chrome if the chrome isn't flaking off or damaged in any way.  It's all in the prep work, the bumper should be in pretty good shape to have good results. The powder paint is positively charged and the bumper would be negatively charged. (or vice versa)  Any flaw could show up. 

#3 RobertKB

RobertKB

Zen Master, I breathe vintage mopar!

• Members
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada
  • My Project Cars:1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Got pictures of your bumpers? I would rather have some slightly shabby chromed bumpers rather than powdercoat. To me, painted bumpers belong on new cars and even then, I don't like them. Keep checking ebay as decent bumpers appear occasionally. My' 53 Plymouth has original chrome on the bumpers and I plan on leaving it that way. Maybe put aside a set amount of money each month until you have enough to chrome the bumpers. That way there is not a huge one sum payment to come up with. Just my two cents worth although in Canada pennies are no longer used. Nickel is our lowest denomination now.

Love those old Mopars
1938 Chrysler 4 Door Touring Sedan
1948 Dodge D25 Club Coupe
1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe

1953 Plymouth Belvedere 4 Door

#4 Andydodge

Andydodge

• Members
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

In general terms the main cost in chroming is in the polishing, to get a nice perfectly flat surface for the copper/nickel/chrome the steel must be striped of the old plating then ground and polished to a mirror finish.........and THIS is what you pay for........this is a labour intensive, dirty, heavy job and to get a decent powdercoating finish I would think that you would need to have a similar finish, maybe not the mirror finish that chrome requires but very close....... so I would suggest getting a quote from both and do a comparision.........as for leaving the old plating and just powdercoating over it I'd be surprised if the powdercoaters would even consider that an option.......my Oz 2cents.........lol.......andyd     

#5 chopt50wgn

chopt50wgn

Senior Member, have way too much spare time on my hands

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:35 AM

Any powder coating shop will bead blast most any part even it is just bare metal. The metal needs a "tooth" for the powder to bond properly. Bead blasting will not remove the chrome, just rough it up some so the powder will stick better.

My buddy has a shop and has powdered lots of parts for my car and I have seen the "almost chrome" powder he uses. It does not look like chrome. It does look more like polished aluminum . He always preheats the parts, then applies the chrome powder, then when it is still hot, applies two more good coats of shiny clear powder.

#6 mhaywood

mhaywood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHastings Mi

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:25 AM

Maybe I need to start by trying to polish what chrome is left. The bumpers are straight with no dents. Just minor surface rust. No big flakes coming off, yet... Does anybody have suggestions on what product to use for chrome restoration?

#7 JerseyHarold

JerseyHarold

• Members
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

I'd use '0000' or 'XXXX'-grade steel wool with WD-40 as a lubricant.  Has worked for me several times.

#8 knuckleharley

knuckleharley

Guru, have been a long time contributor

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • My Project Cars:33 Plymouth coupe,33 Dodge 4dr,37 Dodge 4x4 truck,42 Dodge coupe,48 Plymouth coupe,49 Chrysler Windsor coupe.

Have others,but they aren't Mopar. 32 Ford 5 window coupe,34 Ford pu,53 Ford Club Coupe with a FE,stock 38 Ford Standard tudor humpback sedan.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:36 AM

My buddy has a shop and has powdered lots of parts for my car and I have seen the "almost chrome" powder he uses. It does not look like chrome. It does look more like polished aluminum . He always preheats the parts, then applies the chrome powder, then when it is still hot, applies two more good coats of shiny clear powder.

What does your buddy charge per bumper? Chrome is so expensive these days that might be the only practical option for some people. Including me. The bumpers on the Worlds Rustiest 42 Dodge coupe are in pretty sad shape,and I'm not sure I have the patience to do all the brazing and grinding needed to fill in all the pits.

I had both bumpers done for my 48 Ply coupe a few years ago,and it came to 630 dollars for just the two bumpers without bumper guards and with no shipping involved. Since the bumers were both smooth,unpitted,and not bent,I thought this was a outrageous price before everybody started telling me what a good deal I got on them.

Edited by knuckleharley, 31 August 2013 - 08:39 AM.

Need: grille,front crossmember,front splash apron for 1942 Dodge passenger car

finned aluminum head for 48 Dodge.

Need hood center strip,and actual glove box for a 3/4 ton 37 Dodge truck.

33 Ply parts

#9 Don Coatney

Don Coatney

1948 P-15

• Members
  • 15,924 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:46 AM

Maybe I need to start by trying to polish what chrome is left. The bumpers are straight with no dents. Just minor surface rust. No big flakes coming off, yet... Does anybody have suggestions on what product to use for chrome restoration?

Try krinkeled up aluminum foil. Wad it up into a ball and scrub with soap and water.  Works wonders on old chrome.

Don Coatney

http://smg.photobuck...519373465134713

You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like an old car? That's common sense leaving your body.

#10 GlennCraven

GlennCraven

• Members
  • 697 posts
  • LocationJanesville, WI
  • My Project Cars:1949 Chrysler Windsor Club Coupe, purchased June 29, 2013, minus drivetrain.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

I had both bumpers done for my 48 Ply coupe a few years ago,and it came to 630 dollars for just the two bumpers without bumper guards and with no shipping involved. Since the bumers were both smooth,unpitted,and not bent,I thought this was a outrageous price before everybody started telling me what a good deal I got on them.

It was a couple of weeks ago and now I forget the site I checked, but I want to say that an estimate on rechroming just the rear bumper for a 1955 DeSoto Firedome was at least $900.

#11 Plymouthy Adams

Plymouthy Adams

Mopar owner

• Members
  • 17,137 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • My Project Cars:Too many to list...just making life fun.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Aluminum foil with a twist...I use 0000 steel wool with phosphoric as the wetting solution..it will dissolve the rust and transform the pits to inert substate (if sealed) at that time I use the metal foil to deposit metal into the pits and transform the pits to a filled deposit of shiney metal..then wax heavily..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams, 31 August 2013 - 09:21 AM.

My stock broker, E. Fluff Mutton told me to "hold my water and pass my gas"

#12 mhaywood

mhaywood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHastings Mi

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

The outfit I would use for powder coating manufactures powered parachutes. I have seen their work and it is outstanding. Since they are my neighbors he is only going to charge me $10 each to do some trailer rims next week, I just need to sandblast them beforehand. As far as the bumpers go I plan to use your suggestions to rejuvinate what's left of the chrome. If I'm unhappy with the outcome I will probably try the powdercoat option. The problem is that once I start powdercoating parts, I will want to do the taillights, then the door handles, and then who knows where it will end...

#13 RobertKB

RobertKB

• Members
  • 4,121 posts
  • LocationLethbridge, Alberta, Canada
  • My Project Cars:1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

There are also some good commercial chrome polishes for sale in most automotive stores.

Love those old Mopars
1938 Chrysler 4 Door Touring Sedan
1948 Dodge D25 Club Coupe
1951 Dodge D39 Business Coupe

1953 Plymouth Belvedere 4 Door

#14 mhaywood

mhaywood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHastings Mi

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

There are also some good commercial chrome polishes for sale in most automotive stores.

#15 mhaywood

mhaywood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHastings Mi

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Whoops on the quote. I am pretty far from the polish stage at this point.

#16 Don Coatney

Don Coatney

1948 P-15

• Members
  • 15,924 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

The outfit I would use for powder coating manufactures powered parachutes.

Please explain powered parachutes?

Don Coatney

http://smg.photobuck...519373465134713

You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like an old car? That's common sense leaving your body.

#17 mhaywood

mhaywood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHastings Mi

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

powrachute.com is their homepage. I'm not smart enough yet to post a link...

#18 mhaywood

mhaywood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHastings Mi

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:34 PM

This is my first attempt at posting pics so it may take a few tries...

#19 mhaywood

mhaywood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHastings Mi

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

Let's try this again...

Attached Files

#20 knuckleharley

knuckleharley

• Members
  • 1,007 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
  • My Project Cars:33 Plymouth coupe,33 Dodge 4dr,37 Dodge 4x4 truck,42 Dodge coupe,48 Plymouth coupe,49 Chrysler Windsor coupe.

Have others,but they aren't Mopar. 32 Ford 5 window coupe,34 Ford pu,53 Ford Club Coupe with a FE,stock 38 Ford Standard tudor humpback sedan.

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

It was a couple of weeks ago and now I forget the site I checked, but I want to say that an estimate on rechroming just the rear bumper for a 1955 DeSoto Firedome was at least $900.

WOW! That's scary.

• GlennCraven likes this
Need: grille,front crossmember,front splash apron for 1942 Dodge passenger car

finned aluminum head for 48 Dodge.

Need hood center strip,and actual glove box for a 3/4 ton 37 Dodge truck.

33 Ply parts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users