Vin Number

47Mopey63

I bought my 47 P-15 without a title.  It looks like there is a spot on the firewall above the steering column where a VINtag has been removed.  Is there anywhere else on the car where the VIN is stamped?  Or was this before VIN numbers were a big deal?  I'm in Iowa and I understand that a bonded title can be issued, but I would need a number to put on the title.  Any other options?

Paul

As 54Illinois stated, the tag that was on the firewall was a body number. Or if not that a manufacturer's plate (says made by Plymouth).

There is no "VIN" on your car. There should be a serial number tag on your front driver side door hinge post. There should be an engine number stamped on the block above the generator. Some states used the serial number to register the car, many used the engine number.

The engine number was also usually stamped on the driver side of the frame, as mentioned by 54Illinois.

the tag that may be missing on your firewall could be the oval one that is the manufacture tag that states where built..there should also be near that tag one that is maybe a 3/4 by 3 inch approx. tag that is the Briggs body number...this number is basically irrelevant to the car but traces the body from Briggs to Plymouth assembly line.  As stated, look for the body number on the A-post...mine is located on the drivers side...in the absence of that...and depending on the state as to if or not they will issue an alternate body number that is state assigned on homogenized builds...you can find the original engine number on the left frame rail at the tip of the rear axle...if that matches your engine..then you should be able to convince the inspecting officer to the originality of the car..

My serial number tag is on the passenger side.  What is the number you are looking for?  The engine number should start with  P 15 followed by other digits or symbols.  The Serial number will just be a series of numerals.  This was assigned by the factory sequentially after the engine frame and body came together.  This is the number Chrysler uses to Identify your vehicle.  There was no standardized VIN numbering until the mid 50's.

VINs were first used in 1954.[1] From 1954 to 1981, there was no accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats.

In 1981, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States standardized the format.[1] It required all over-the-road-vehicles sold to contain a 17-character VIN, which does not include the letters I (i), O (o), or Q (q) (to avoid confusion with numerals 1 and 0).

Depending on state and even within those states older vehicles were registered and tittled using engine number or serial number.  If your documents have the engine number and the engine has been swapped, you could be in for a difficult process when trying to newly title or register your car. You will need to look for the number on the frame.

I would take a trip to your local DMV and speak to someone there about the process and what is required.  Try to find someone older who knows the history of VIN .   As noted The bodies for P15 were supplied to Plymouth by Briggs Manufacturing  There is usually a tag on the firewall that says Briggs and has a number on it.  There should also be a red tag that states that its a Plymouth manufactured by Chrysler Motors.  It has no number on it. 

Following up on greg g's post:

Plymouth first used a VIN like serial number in 1958 and went to a real VIN in 1959.

From 1930 through WW2 the serial number should be on the passenger side front door hinge post. After WW2 serial numbers should be on the driver side.

At least as far back as 1933, the engine number is stamped somewhere on the driver side of the frame. Location varies with year.

Gory details at http://www.ply33.com/Misc/vin

Possibly they switched sides? The pre war and 46 model pickups have them on the passenger side and the 47s have them on the drivers side. Its one of the few ways to tell a 46 from a 47.

Guest bewillie

I have two 50 business coupes, one with round # tag on drivers side and one with it on the passanger side. They both look like they have factory rivets.

I have seen S/N plates on both the Left & Right A pillars on P15s, but the most common is for it to be on the Left side.  Pre-war were all on the Right side, as I understand.  Even repair manuals of that period state that the tag is on the left side, but the proof is in the pudding.  (At first I thought that the one might be a 42 model, but the S/N itself indicated that it was indeed a P15.)

....you can find the original engine number on the left frame rail at the tip of the rear axle...if that matches your engine..then you should be able to convince the inspecting officer to the originality of the car..

Don,where,exactly is this located,and how hard is it to see?

I had my 48 coupe in a shop to have some work done to it when I was unable to do it myself,and damned if the tag didn't disappear from inside the driver door. You can still see the brighter paint as clear as day where it had been,but it's gone now.

And yes,it was there when I bought the car.

On a related subject,does anyone know where I can buy a replacement tag with blank numbers? My car is already titled and registered,but I still want to replace the missing tag.

BTW,was it held on by rivets or screws?

. . . On a related subject,does anyone know where I can buy a replacement tag with blank numbers? My car is already titled and registered,but I still want to replace the missing tag.

BTW,was it held on by rivets or screws?

ePay search for "plymouth serial number plate"

On my '33 it is held on with screw nails or something that looks a lot like screw nails.

The  VIN plate should look like this - (actual number removed to protect the innocent.)

Your vehicle serial # plate has been tampered with. That is illegal!

A picture right out of the MoPar parts book of a Plymouth "vehicle serial number plate".

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Ok.

I can't take it anymore.

I wasn't gonna say anything and I didn't ...up 'til now.

It's probably my biggest OCD trigger.

It makes me, well...say something.

VIN = Vehicle Identification Number

VIN Number = Vehicle Identification Number Number

VIN's are not numbered.

They ARE the number.

Their, I said it.

No.

They're. I said it.

I mean,

There. I said it

Thank you.

I will now go watch another episode of Monk.

Edited by BigDaddyO
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hear, hear to BigDaddyO's complaint about  "VIN Numbers".  

I grind my teeth when I hear sayings like  "five-year anniversary" which I have been hearing lately.  "Anniversary" already means to "turn the year".   Then there's the five-month anniversary", which makes on sense at all. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My thanks to all for their replies.  I am trying to get retired and have been busier than I'd like lately.  That's why I haven't been back to check your replies for awhile.  Next time I get a chance (the car is at my son's house 150 miles away) I'll check the left side hinge area for the s/n tag.  If it's there that will eliminate one problem in getting a title. Thanks Again

I will now go watch another episode of Monk.

I like watching Monk. He makes me feel normal.

Well,almost normal.

Sometimes.