1940 Dodge D14 Restoration

1940_dodge

Hello all,

FInally starting my restoration of my D14 Deluxe and am looking forward to 1. Getting this driving again and 2.  Any input you all can give me along the way.

Let me establish my expertise with this, it is zero.  But I am adamant that I want to do almost everything myself so it will be a huge learning process but I'm ready to deal the problems that are going to come up.  My goal for the car was initially a complete restoration, everything exactly how it was originally done.  But my opinion has recently changed and I would like to have it be a daily driver that would allow me to drive and do it safely (disc brakes, seatbelts, etc). 

I'll update this weekly as my job doesn't leave me a whole lot of time to do anything besides on the weekends.  But here's looking forward to working with you all to bring back a piece of history to working condition.

Here are some pictures of where I am before I get started:

BVgR1.jpg

sxiRM.jpg

Tv6UG.jpg

Good to see another 40 Dodge.......have attached a couple of pics of mine, its an Oz built car, similar to what the Canadians had, tho here in Oz there are some unique Oz body styling features that are different to the Nth American bodies, check out the rear window & trunk area.....however as you can see it has the Dodge grille and side moldings but Plymouth fenders, hood, headlights, taillights and bumpers.......the dash tho' is the mirror reversed RHD 1940 Dodge version. I've had this car since Sept 1971, its been a hotrod since April 1973, gets taken out a couple of times a week........if ever you come across extra US 1940 Dodge headlight surrounds and another of those moldings that fit between the upper & lower grilles let me know.......lol.........trust everything goes well in your resto.................regards, Andy Douglas  

If you can I'd appreciate a close up of your interior light.

Yeah, I'll get one today.

Good to see another 40 Dodge.......have attached a couple of pics of mine, its an Oz built car, similar to what the Canadians had, tho here in Oz there are some unique Oz body styling features that are different to the Nth American bodies, check out the rear window & trunk area.....however as you can see it has the Dodge grille and side moldings but Plymouth fenders, hood, headlights, taillights and bumpers.......the dash tho' is the mirror reversed RHD 1940 Dodge version. I've had this car since Sept 1971, its been a hotrod since April 1973, gets taken out a couple of times a week........if ever you come across extra US 1940 Dodge headlight surrounds and another of those moldings that fit between the upper & lower grilles let me know.......lol.........trust everything goes well in your resto.................regards, Andy Douglas  

There's actually a junk yard where I live that has 3 of these with the headlight surrounds and all other parts.  One of them actually has stainless steel surrounds so I don't see any pitting on the chrome at all.  They have a very distinctive ping when you flick them.  If you want I can get them for you and ship them out to you.

Jayson.........lol......we need to talk........can I call you?......I talk better than I type.......lol..........regards, andyd

Glenn, thanks, have finally removed the vinyl roof late last yr after 37yrs....lol.......new roof paint, and a few other things, it has a 20foot paint job now, the paint in the pics was done by me in 1978, theres a few stone chips and crazing now, but it shines up o/k.......next thing to do is get some new carpet and the drivers front seat retrimed......and maybe the twin 4 intake & carbys setup.......varoom!!!.......lol..........andyd

Edited by Andydodge

I've got to show this picture to my wife to prove that I'm not the only one who can see a silk purse in a pig's ear.  I wish you well. It will be great sport to drive that. Fix the mechanicals and the interior to primo and leave that beautiful external patina!

Tv6UG.jpg

Edited by pflaming

Jayson, finally worked out how to resize some recent pics.........lol......these shots were taken when the vinyl roof was ripped off....if you look real close you can see "vinyl roof to go here" written by me in 1975.....lol...the engine pic was taken when the hood was removed and the others after painting..........andyd

post-612-0-03674000-1377518206_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-09143400-1377518236_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-53909300-1377518263_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-48731800-1377518310_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-78765400-1377518342_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

D-14's unite! 

Nice to see another '40 Dodge come along. 

Looks mostly complete! Mine drives and is pretty dependable now, but, still searching out the small pieces the idiots left off of the car when "restoring it" before I got a hold of it. I could ball'em out for not keeping track of many small pieces. Anyway, one thing at a time. They're really nice old cars. I tell ya, mechanics first, re-wire the entire car and get it to start, drive and stop on a dime. :) Then, paint, and then interior. 

My goal with my Dodge is a total return to as close to factory I can get. Takes time but, worth it! You don't need a 4k paint job, you can paint it a factory color for under 2k at a good Mayco or 1day paint and body shop. Will look nice, but not be too pricey to worry about. Also, my car has the original brakes, all redone and stops like a champ. I drive my ol' buggy plenty! The old drum brakes work perfectly well as long as they're serviced right. Then, you're good to go. Some have successfully converted at least the front brakes to disk but, I wouldn't bother. As for seat belts in these old cars, not much is going to save you in a serious accident. especially since the bottom seat will come up out from under you in a serious accident. The fact is, you won't be driving this car very fast, and probably wouldn't be pushing it faster than 55mph on the highway. Lap belts will make you "feel" safe but, in reality it'll only keep your but in one place as the doors pop open on impact. 

Do as you wish, it's your car... But, I've driven seat belt-less MoPars for 10 years now, (still young but, I'm gettin' there ) and I've never have had any scrapes. And I drive in California! Where truly insane infested roads are! Stop sign runners and all! 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27309380@N06/14335184334/

Edited by Robert Smith

I bought a Pontiac Fiero for the sole pourpose of learning how to build an engine (had a 4banger,built a 2.8 V6 stroker for it), paint and do interior work.  As stated before take it one small step at a time.  Small goals lead to big finishes. One last suggestion, if you have a child/grandchild; even a buddy, get them involved with you.!  The relationship you develop will be more valuable than the car.

Do as you wish, it's your car... But, I've driven seat belt-less MoPars for 10 years now, (still young but, I'm gettin' there ) and I've never have had any scrapes. And I drive in California! Where truly insane infested roads are! Stop sign runners and all! 

A bit off topic, but you never know when your record of no scrapes will end: This last Tuesday a lady ran a red light and collided with me in an intersection. Good news is that nobody was hurt and that it was so clearly her fault that her insurance is repairing my daily driver. (Other good news is this gives me a great excuse to drive the '33 on around town errands as it is my other car.)

Prior to Tuesday I had a lot longer than a 10 year stretch with no need for a seat belt (I wear seat belts and have since my parents installed them in the family car back in 1963). Maybe I didn't need them on Tuesday, but I am glad I had them and was wearing them.

• 3 weeks later...