1949 Dodge Club Coupe??

icedude
Go to solution Solved by TodFitch,

After months of searching for a Black 46 - 48 Dodge Club Coupe, we finally found one in MI.

Car is all original and does need some TLC. When we got the title from the owner, the title read 1949 Dodge Coupe??

We researched the internet and we could only find the 1949 Dodge Coronet.

The seller did include the original registration from when the car was new with a Serial Number that matches whats on the door frame and the Engine Number that matches the Serial Number of the Engine in the car.

The car was sold New on January 31st, 1949.

The 1949 Title on a 1948 body threw me a curve ball. Does anyone know if this is common?

I'm sure you guys are much more knowledgeable than I am, and I appreciate your help.

post-6355-0-56847700-1377291400_thumb.jpg

post-6355-0-71107300-1377291408_thumb.jpg

Edited by icedude

Monroe, MI

This was an Indiana / Tennessee car since first sold new. It's been in Monroe, MI for the past two years.

We're hoping that she'll have a prolonged stay in NJ.

Edited by icedude

I saw that car and it's "49" listing - on E-Bay (I think) a little while back. Nice catch. Lived in Michigan for a few years and often worked @ Monroe. Those folks in MI put their old stuff away in the winter pretty tight, so I don't think the annual highway pickling would be much to worry about. My D24 faired 5 winters in MI quite well (my avatar is in front of our house in Port Huron). I frequent (by way of visiting In-Laws) South Amboy a few times a year. Always looking for something to do other than hear about everyone's health problems, eat, and drink (well, "drinking" isn't necessarily a "bad" thing whilst there). If your close to there, I wouldn't mind visiting to share how little I know about these fine automobiles....(never fear, I don't do surprise visits, or show up uninvited).

Edited by Dan Hiebert

The Engineering Department considered the 1st series 1949 models were 1948.   They were the ones that supplied the serial number sequences which they issued according to Engineering Department model years.

The sales and marketing people had different ideas, though.   They came up with the idea for starting model years around July 1 in the late 1920's and early 1930's, and starting the 1949 model year on December 1, 1948.

All Chrysler Corporation parts books, service manuals and serial number guides had one set of model year listings, and all used car guides had another.  The used car guides used the model years as determined by the sales and marketing people.   The Engineering people declared the Plymouth model Q to be a 1928 model, for example, but check any used car guide covering 1928-29 (Red Book, Blue Book, Branham's, etc.) and the Plymouth model Q is listed as a 1929 model.  

By the way, in Canada there were no 1st series 1949 models.  Sales of the 1946-48 models had softened so much Chrysler of Canada ended production by the end of December, 1948.  The car plant sat idle until the 1949 models went into production in February, 1949. 

Bill

Toronto, ON

• Like 1

Bill from Toronto: Thank You for the info

Harold: When the TLC on my Dodge is done, may be we can meet at JB's on one of their Antique Car Weekends.

Dan: I'm 30 minutes from South Amboy. Feel free to email me next time around. I always welcome a good conversation and some tips on D24's

ALL: Thank you for making me feel welcome in your community.

Edited by icedude
  • Like 1