Speedometer Woes

Oldguy48

Finally got around to checking out the reason my P15's speedometer quit this May on a trip back from Ocean City, Md.  The speedometer cable was broken at the transmission end.  But checking a bit further, I found that the speedometer was binding, causing the cable to fail.  I used a paper clip to make sure the speedometer oiler hole was open, and added a drop or two of oil.  Then I used a short mini-screwdriver stuck into the cable connection to try to turn it.  Yikes, it's stiff.  I'm going to let it set until tomorrow, and have a go at it again.  Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?  I really don't want to remove the speedometer.

I tried a forum search but didn't find any posts about this particular problem.  Thanks for any help. :confused:

Wayne

If you can get a "zoom-spout oiler" bottle, dump the oil and reserve that for electric motors, and re-fill with Kroil, then get that on the wick / brass hub of the speedo input, then work it with the screw-driver, you'll probably be able to loosen it, then try to get some of that zoom-spout oil in the oiler / bearing.

My '48 NYer speedometer would begin to chirp & chatter when the weather got cold, and the needle would jump & bounce in sync with the chatter...  one time it turned-into a steady squeal, and I had to pull-over and unscrew the cable from the back of the speedo head so I could continue my trip.  It was after that that I tried the method I described above...  it worked.

The speedometer / cluster in my De Soto desperately needs cleaning,  but I am really reluctant to disturb all the presently-intact, crispy-crunchy wiring.. :(

Good luck !

Edited by De Soto Frank
  • Like 1

Frank,

Tried the Kroil trick, and it's definitely much better.  Going to give it another dose tonight, and see what it's like tomorrow.  I have a spare speedometer, and there is very little resistance when spinning that one.  Hopefully I can get the one in the car in the same condition.  Thanks for the tip.

Wayne

Bought several used speedo's off Ebay a couple yaers ago that had been "tested" and worked. Neither one did. Different sellers.

It soaked the oil hole and kept trying until they at least moved, but stil were stiff. Open the cases carefully and oiled everything inside then spun by hand with small screwdriver. Better but not perfect. Finally getting p"d off.  :angry:   Put and air drill  on the imput shaft with the pressure lowered. Oiled, ran foward then backward, (remember when owners backed up speedo's?), oil again and again when run until 100 mph worked smoothly on both!  No, I did not back up the milage as they were both recently turned over were they had low #'s again. ;)

Restored now much be worth a lot more! :)

Doug

• Like 1

A while back I had the similar problems with my speedo, to the point that I had to disconnect it..... I am finally getting back to it, mine is still in the car, and I have been trying to figure the easiest way of removing it.  

Oiling would be a lot easier, but haven't noticed an oil hole, approximately where is it? 

craig

most are at the top of the very boss the cable screws onto and there is usually a felt wick here..a couple drops of oil sould leach to the correct spot in a bit of soaking time via the wick..use a light ten weight instrument oil...a good oil to have around I have found is the Campbell Hausfeld air tool oil..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

Just came back in from the garage.  I believe the "Kroil" treatment, followed by a drop of oil took care of the problem.  The speedometer spins easily now.  I should have the car out for a drive in a few days to try it out.  I still have to replace the dimmer switch.  The one I bought at NAPA (Echlin) failed, and left me with high beams only.  Ordered one thru Amazon that appeared to be an exact replacement (for a Jeep CJ), and it's not like the picture showed.  It's only got two terminals instead of three.  Aaaargh!

Oh well, I'll work on something else until I get that straightened out.

Wayne

• 1 month later...

In Don's photo is the"wick" that copper looking thing pointing west that looks like it's crimped? Is that where you put the oil? My speedo is working but it's real jumpy till it reaches around 50.

Also, could someone give directions on how to grease the cable?

Edited by wdoland

If a topic is a month old does it get buried and no one see's it?

Only until someone comes back and replies like you did. Brings it right back to the top. My build thread is years old and I just keep bringing it back to the top when stuff actually gets done.

On that particular speedo, yes, that's the wick. As far as the cable itself, you can remove the cable from the speedo and spray some lubricant in it or you can remove both ends and spray from the top and turn the cable, flushing the old lube out the bottom until it runs the same color lube as went in the top. You can also remove the cable and inspect it for frayed spots that will bind in the housing.

• Like 1

Thanks Ed, you might be one to answer my question about the speedo wick. (Just above my last post)

Yes its the wick and I don't believe it should be smushed like that. FYI there were 2 suppliers of speedometers for p15s. Completely different mechanisms but same appearance when installed. I believe the other version has the wick at the 12oclock position.

Mine looks like the picture but it isn't smashed. So how do you get oil in there? Jack up the passenger side of the car? (just kidding) 

I changed a light bulb tonight next to the speedometer but it's still hard to see it at night. I was hoping to see the color changing thing.

Mine looks like the picture but it isn't smashed. So how do you get oil in there? Jack up the passenger side of the car? (just kidding) 

I changed a light bulb tonight next to the speedometer but it's still hard to see it at night. I was hoping to see the color changing thing.

The idea is to remove the little tube fill it and then put it back. You can now see how it got smushed. Not the easiest thing to do while its installed in the car.

Better bulb still may not see color change.  On many the color has faded and you no longer see the change.

Picture borrowed from David Maxwell

post-80-0-86165800-1380252501_thumb.jpg

Yeah, somethings wrong because I can see the four gauges fine. Still not the brightest but at least I can see them. The center is what I can't see at night. Is there another bulb back there I missed? Looking at it from behind I changed the bulb to the right of the speedo cable.

Anyway, I bought a can of Aero Kroil today. $15.00 for 10 oz can! I think crack cocaine is cheaper. Going to spray the cable and shoot some in the "wick" after work.

Yeah, somethings wrong because I can see the four gauges fine. Still not the brightest but at least I can see them. The center is what I can't see at night. Is there another bulb back there I missed? Looking at it from behind I changed the bulb to the right of the speedo cable.

Anyway, I bought a can of Aero Kroil today. $15.00 for 10 oz can! I think crack cocaine is cheaper. Going to spray the cable and shoot some in the "wick" after work.

You've got something else wrong if you can see the 4 gauges fine. There are only 2 bulbs one does the left gauges and left side of the speedometer and the other the rights.

Well, took speedo cable off and put some Kroil on the wick and down the cable. Took her for a ride and needle was smoother but it was still bouncing. Maybe it will work in after a few more miles. Seemed to bounce on deceleration. Now I'm trying to download a speedometer app on my phone so I can check to see if it's accurate.