Fuel Pump Or Vapor Lock?

wdoland

Ahhh I see you are already in possession of one of the fine Hecho in Mexico fuel pumps.  Pivot pin retained by force of habit.............Note to everyone who has recently changed a fuel pump, a visual check of the pin from time to time could save problems down the line.   Even with the short pins fitted to these fine products, a bit of dremel work and some mechanics / safety wire might do the trick for keeping it where it needs to be

Just had a fuel pump problem during a recent trip to Bend Ore. Was really hot and the engine sputtered and then quit. First thing that came to mind was a vapor lock. No fuel in the carbs. Turned out that the fairly new pump was not pumping fuel due to the pivot pin of the pump lever had moved out and the level fell off. Luckily I was able to put it back together and it then ran fine.

Starting fluid is a very dangerous product to use on any engine. Popular to use on diesel engines. Overuse can take out the rings and damage the cylinder walls. In my shops I would not allow its use. If it wont run on its required fuel, fix the problem, do not create more.

I took the bad fuel pump off last night and the actuating arm and spring was still intact. Lucked out on that one! Funny thing though, the pump is stamped "Made in USA" and has a small tag attached that says " E " (in a circle) then 588A 222K. There were no clips, grooves, or hammer marks anywhere near the pin. It was just put there, held in by wishful thinking. Now I wait for the new pump to see what kind of quality that one has. Should be here Tuesday. 

Got the new fuel pump today from RockAuto that said "Made in USA" but it was stamped "Made in Canada". I guess that's close enough. I installed it anyway and Walter is back on the road. Thanks to all for the help! 

Good to hear you've got it back on the road.

Were it me, I'd get a rebuild kit and fix the old pump and put it on the shelf. But that is largely because that type of part is not easily available for my older car and I'd rather have a known good spare part on the shelf when I need it and not have to wait while trying to find a supplier, buy it and wait for it to be delivered. Rather have the car drivable than have it be a object of art stationary in the garage.

• Like 1

Got the new fuel pump today from RockAuto that said "Made in USA" but it was stamped "Made in Canada". I guess that's close enough. I installed it anyway and Walter is back on the road. Thanks to all for the help! 

Made in Canada, you're lucky the one I bought from rockauto was made in China. Box name was from old, well known American Mfg. name.!

It did fit but outside dimensions barely worked. Crudely casted.

I do carry the older, still working (non-greaseable) but starting to make a little bearing noise as the spare.

Doug

Good to hear you've got it back on the road.

Were it me, I'd get a rebuild kit and fix the old pump and put it on the shelf. But that is largely because that type of part is not easily available for my older car and I'd rather have a known good spare part on the shelf when I need it and not have to wait while trying to find a supplier, buy it and wait for it to be delivered. Rather have the car drivable than have it be a object of art stationary in the garage.

I did that very same thing with the original fuel pump when I rebuilt my engine, except I stored it under the seat of my truck. It came in REAL handy when the pin came out of the "new" replacement pump. I swapped pumps, roadside, and was back motoring in no time. That one then got a rebuild and resides under the seat.

Is the pivot pin on the new pump properly retained or did you insall another potential time bomb???

My thoughts exactly...

I have never seen a greasable fuel pump????

Rereading my post I forgot to add Waterpump. :rolleyes:

Doug