1948 B-1-C Brake Help

Go to solution Solved by Merle Coggins,

Hi all,

A couple of months ago I picked up a 3/4 ton that's pretty straight, complete and original for $1800.  It's got a rebuilt engine (receipts, looks and sounds good), though most of the "peripherals" need attending to.  I'm rebuilding the carb, new fuel pump, rebuilt starter (old one would sometimes grind).  No rust to speak of, but it's been sitting for over 20 years (fuel tank being cleaned/repaired).  Keven's been very helpful and did a beautiful job on my speedo and gauge cluster. 

This is my eleventh old pick-up ('25 Dodge - '57 Ford), and while I've done all kinds of work on these old timers, I am to a large extent still a "learner." I've also been without a truck for 20 years while in family mode (though I've had dreams about my '27 Chevy and my '35 Dodge). 

My dad's been coming over once a week and helping on various projects.  Today we pulled off the front wheel to take a peek at the brake situation.  I'm familiar with the basics, but my dad had a concern about what we were looking at in terms of the spindle.  There's some torn thin metal surrounding the base and a bit of a groove as well.  I'd be grateful for any comments regarding this.  I'd also be grateful for suggested resources for new cylinders (front and rear) and possibly drums, bearings, etc. 

I'm also including a shot of the rear drum.  I'm used to seeing some gap between the drum and the rear plate, but this seems a bit much.  Any thoughts?

Attachments:  1. Front spindle showing torn metal and groove in spindle.  2. Drum with rear spindle in place (pressed?).  3. Rear drum showing gap between drum and backing plate.  post-6296-0-72935900-1376351836_thumb.jpgpost-6296-0-00536100-1376351910_thumb.jpgpost-6296-0-76815300-1376351945_thumb.jpg

With thanks,

Ralph

San Jose, CA     

Definitely something wrong with the rear. You shouldn't be able to see the shoes like that. Some investigation is in order.

I had to look through some of my pictures to verify what's up with your front spindle. Apparently that disc is part of the backing plate. Here's a couple pictures I took when I was doing my disc brake conversion. Not the best angles to verify it all, but...

post-31-0-42233400-1376353310_thumb.jpg  post-31-0-02977800-1376353387_thumb.jpg

Merle

• Like 1

Rear drum sits on a tapered rear axle that should require a puller to remove. I suspect that won't be required on yours. Maybe the keyway is missing which is why it is sitting incorrectly. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments and posting the pics Merle.  Would still like to determine if the grooves in the spindle are an issue and/or how to address.  Thank you too Webmaster.  The keyway is intact and a wheel puller is still in order.  The other side looks okay, so it'll be interesting to get some comparative measurements.  Thanks again for your comments.

• Solution

Is the groove you reference in the seal area or in the bearing area? If it's on the seal surface you can use a Speedi-sleeve to make a smooth surface for the seal. They are sold by size, so you'll have to measure the diameter with a good caliper or micrometer.

If they are in the bearing area you should be able to polish it smooth and go with it, as long as the bearings still fit well on the spindles.

Merle

• Like 1

I had a 49 half ton that I heard the drum grinding on the backing plate. The spindle cracked right at the radius next to the raised seal area. Lucky I looked into it. The wheel could have fallen off. I'd carefully look at the spindle.

• Like 1

I pulled the wheel off again last night and it's actually not as bad as my dad's fears made it out to be.  There's a dark mark, but I can barely feel anything in terms of wear.  I keep an eye on it though.  The wheel cylinders have been sitting for over 20 years though.  I pulled one off, but couldn't get the pistons out (soaking in liquid wrench now).  May be toast.  I notice various places offer them, any recommendations on quality/price? 

You should be able to get wheel cyls at any NAPA store.  They had the ones for my 1 ton in stock.  If that doesn't work, Bernbaum's or Robert's Motor Parts should have them as well.   Mike

• Like 1

Thanks Mike.  I've just put in an order with Hagen's for shoes, cylinders, and hoses, but that's good to know.  I've got some vacation time coming up, any guesses as to what I'll be doing with my time?  Can't wait to get this baby back on the road again.