Stock Replacement Gas Tank For 1954 Dodge Truck

Does any one make new, replacement gas tanks for 1954 Dodge trucks?  The truck I have is missing the gas tank and I can't seem to find one.  Any one else having the same issue?

I purchased a tank from tanks inc, for my wife's 50. the only mods i needed was to fab a 4" or so piece of steel to adapt the bracket to the chassis (the tank is shorter). other than that, it fit great

hi, did you use the In-Tank Fuel Pump Module ?

what sender unit did you fit?

hi, did you use the In-Tank Fuel Pump Module ?

what sender unit did you fit?

in hind site i should have, and this winter i might do it. But right now she is using the mechanical pump off the 318 we put in. we got "tanks" gauge sender, it works pretty good so far (just got the truck on the road after 3 years of work)

thanks

-tom

• 4 years later...

I could use some guidance's on my 1954c1 issue also.my truck came without a tank so not sure what's right from wrong.  this is a 1947 tank should it be level or angle as is in photo  .thank you

IMG_20180305_123507898.jpg

IMG_20180305_123513442.jpg

I'm not familiar with the replacement gas tanks as I have only used original ones, but it looks to me like you are missing the rear mount which levels the tank - check this thread...  

Gas tank mount4.JPG

Fuel tank pic.jpg

Edited by Desotodav

the B-series fuel tank comparison shows that the seam for the B-4 (and C-1/C-3) is at an angle that lines up with the frame cross members.  An adapter bracket is required on the B-1/B-2/B-3 for the rear tank mount, as the tank seam is horizontal and the rear mount frame cross member is at an angle.  The top of the fuel tank needs to be level so that it will clear the bottom of the cab.  The rear mounting bolts had springs between the bolt heads and the frame to protect the tank from excess torsion from the frame.

Just removed  the tank from my B1C tonight.  I do not have that same rear bracket, it was different. It just mounts to the side of the frame, basically an L  bracket for the rear to bolt to. Is that because my truck is a 116” wheel base and does not utilize a crossmember for mounting?If so it looks very easy to swap in a 39/47 tank. Any body have any input, because I for sure don’t have that same rear bracket! Thanks 

The 54+ does not have any brackets like the ones shown. The mounting seam on the tank is at an angle and the tank sits level. The rear is solid mounted to the crossmember and the front sits on top of the removable crossmember and is held in with springs.

I have never seen a replacement tank for the C series. It cost me over $600 to have mine sealed and repaired.

Edited by 59bisquik

On 3/11/2018 at 10:56 PM, 1949B-1-C said:

Just removed  the tank from my B1C tonight.  I do not have that same rear bracket, it was different. It just mounts to the side of the frame, basically an L  bracket for the rear to bolt to. Is that because my truck is a 116” wheel base and does not utilize a crossmember for mounting?If so it looks very easy to swap in a 39/47 tank. Any body have any input, because I for sure don’t have that same rear bracket! Thanks 

Yes, the rear tank mount on a 3/4 ton B series is a bracket that comes off the frame. I saw another set of holes where the bracket could be moved back a couple of inches. Possibly for a different size tank option?

PC130164.jpg

On 5/3/2018 at 12:51 PM, 54 c1 said:

Podría usar algunas indicaciones sobre mi problema 1954c1 también. Mi camión llegó sin tanque, así que no estoy seguro de qué está bien y qué está mal. este es un tanque de 1947 si es nivel o ángulo como en la foto. Gracias

IMG_20180305_123507898.jpg

IMG_20180305_123513442.jpg

My tank bracket  front

20180222_141032.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up with my tank install. Instead of enlarging the hole in the floor for the fuel filler neck I ordered a 2 1/4” x 2” straight filler neck adapter (part # FN-2.25) for the tank, a 2 1/4” x 60° fuel hose (part # NE-60L) and a 3/8” x 5/16” inverted flare adapter (part # BF56) all from tanks inc. Using those parts and trimming the hose to fit allowed me to not have to cut the floor and everything bolted in perfect. I cannot say enough about the product from tanks Inc. the fuel tank sending unit and hose/adapters were perfect everything works and looks great. Just wanted to share as I thought this may help someone out in the future thank you

51CE8FA3-DE75-48A1-A576-A3E5837C9AFA.jpeg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

So I am piggy backing on the setup from 1949 B-1-C and used the same parts for my 1953 B-4-C.  The floor had be cut previously but at least the metal was still left so a simple bend and weld job got the hole back to around the correct shape.  A little bit of foam and eventually some floor matting should help cut down on the dust coming from below. Also got a vented gas cap from NAPA with a nice warning message to remove slowly fuel spray may cause injury. ?

Thanks for the idea 1949 B-1-C!

Tom

Fuel filler 03.gif

Fuel filler 01.gif

Fuel filler 04.gif

• Like 3