55 Dodge At B-J Auction

I just missed out on a 1955 Dodge truck with a 259 Poly and 3 speed on ebay, I set my max bid at $350 but it went for $450.  Needed total restoration, but everything was there including the V8 that would turn over.  Normally these trucks don't get that much respect, glad to see one did.

Based on the bidding I watched there was a good amount of interest. Was over $40k in a heartbeat.

My guess is because it was not the same old thing. The commentators are not that knowledgable.....as they admittedly just never see them. It was a very nice truck but not 100% accurate. But very different from the normal auction faire. I think a nice Pilothouse would do very well these days.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Yes that was it. There was very spirited bidding on it. I believe it was the highest priced truck at the auction.

It was nice but I would have liked it better with different tires and wheels. They made it look to "automotive" for my eye.

Guess you can tell I am not a fan of WWW's on trucks. :P Every time I see them on one it makes me shudder..... and look to see if "Lumpy" is driving it.

Jeff

Im not a huge fan of the rims that they chose for the truck but i love white wall tires. I dont think that just any classic car can pull of the white wall look but when done right they look great IMO.

-Chris

Chris;

Those rims looked way out of place to me. I will agree with you that some cars look better with white walls. I will even go as far as to say that narrow white walls look ok on some trucks. The wide ones on what is fundamentally a work truck? To me it is like a woodworker wearing a tie. Just doesn't look right....and gets in the way when on the job.

There are several auto shops in the complex my shop is in. Two of the three entrances are quite steep. Not a day goes by when a lowered vehicle get stuck or damaged in one of them. When it is a lowered truck I can't help it....I just have to laugh.

Jeff

• Like 2

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=686&aid=523

Is that the truck Jeff? Thats one beautiful old dodge.

Great looking truck. Interesting though, has the small back window, and the box appears to be from a 53 or earlier with the correct rear fenders and running boards. I have no problem with that, mine is the same, 52 box, 56 rear fenders and running boards.

So although an excellent resto, does not appear to be 100% OEM, not that it matters, and if I was paying the big bucks, would want the wide back window of the cab......

Last night I watched a few minutes of Auction America @ Auburn and low and behold a yellow 52 Pilothouse went across the block. Reached $23K but like a lot of cars at this auction did not meet the reserve. It looked like a very nice 1/2 ton restoration. No info on what the reserve was. This was the first Pilothouse I have seen on a televised auction.

Jeff

As far as two tone goes....I like the lay out...and it works well with the White Walls.

I would have prefered a different color.  

48D

I like the wire wheels. Tested a stainless wire full wheel cover on my 49 1/2 ton, really liked the look. And i do have a full set of 6.00-16 wide whites for the stock rims.

I wouldn't have done Canyon Coral on a truck, a darker color would be my preference. Save the odd shades for the cars. But the way the 55 is set up, all in all, it works alright. Considering what the buyer paid, it's most likely going to end up a trailer queen or a static display anyway.