Field Triage On The Brakes To Get The P15 Home

ssnowden

I called AAA about a tow and the policy states: emergency break down. So. . . Forget the brakes get a trailer and winch it on I have move a lot of vehicals this way. If you're concerned about it getting away from you, put a chuck ahead a foot, more it a foot, and repeat. Now you have no tire worries. 

You say that one of the rear cylinders is leaking and it has no brakes at all and that you believe it will start and run and it's 2 hours away.

If you don't know that it runs, there's a couple hours of farting around to find out.

And field repairs the brakes of a 60 year old car...you have more courage than I.

You could just dump some brake fluid in and try the brakes, I doubt that the rear cylinder is leaking so bad that wont work for one or two applications, even if you have to pump them you should be able to stop on the trailer.

The problem with that is, the wheel cylinders could stick and lock up your brakes making it harder to move the car.

Bring a couple friends and a couple old tires, put the tires on the bumper guards and push the car up with another car or truck.

I like Plymouthys idea too.

Or...

the way we used to do it in the old days, a couple 6 paks and I don't remember the rest.

Edited by BigDaddyO

Since you are no longer on the highway, you may not  be eligible, yet you also are not home. I would go for it. I got the premium AAA 250 miles and four rides. That covers a lot of territory for me. LA  and SF are 150 miles from me. I'm not afraid to go anywhere now.

I think I'd either borrow, or rent a come-along, or purchase one for the job. A cheapie from Harbor Freight would probably get the car on the trailer just fine, but I wouldn't use it for anything that could get someone hurt if it failed, like lifting an engine, etc. And I'd have someone alongside the trailer with a 4x4 or something similar to toss in front of a wheel if the car decided to get away from you. Whatever you do, be careful. Plan out how you are going to load the car, and don't leave anything to chance. It seems like a very simple, straightforward task, but just remember, Murphy is watching and waiting for the opportunity to ruin your day.

Wayne

• Like 1

"Murphy is watching and waiting for the opportunity to ruin your day..."

Yeah,  Good old Murph...   <_< 

He came to help a few weeks ago when we were loading a '41 De Soto ( not mine ) into a trailer.  That's when one of the ramps kicked-out, and dumped the right-rear of the car on the trailer deck. :eek:   :mad:   :confused: 

Fortunately, we were loading at an industrial warehouse, and were able to get a forklift driver to help us out: he carefully picked-up the rear of the car and eased it the rest of the way onto the trailer.   Who knew that forklift drivers are so strong ?  :wub: 

what type of trailer had ramps that would kick out...most I have ever seen used and especially own now have a slotted receiver for the ramp to drop into allow only left to right movement...have never seen these ever try to kick out....were these just a form of over lay ramps similar to those you buy for loading a pickup truck?

Home-made trailer;  the ramps store in slots in the rear of the deck, and pull-out, with the ends still inside the slot.

If it were my trailer, there would be a hole or two for anchor-pins, and/or safety chains  to prevent such an occurence.

As it was, I was just a helper on this recovery project.

Fortunately for all involved, there was no damage to the car or trailer, or people.

But if it weren't for the fork-lift guy, we would have spent several hours jacking  and cussing... :o

But if it weren't for the fork-lift guy, we would have spent several hours jacking  and cussing... :o

Sounds like when a buddy and I pushed his sisters grand am over the front of the car dolly.........

My store bought car dolly that is commercial grade rental company pre-owned has some very nice retractable ramps that lock when stowed and also when deployed and in use but addressing Ed's issue I do not like the forward stops on the unit....I feel my home made dolly superior in this respect as I have moderately tall forward stop that thus far has not been in the way of the very cars I have towed using m this device the past 20+ years ago when I built it.  The commercial unit I bought site unseen from an estate sale 300 miles away and got free delivery....the commercial is a bit wider is its real advantage.

I would call someone with a flatbed truck that has a winch to pull it up with onto the bed. Much easier and safer. I had to do the same thing recently! If you dont have access to a flatbed i would go with a tow dolly also! good luck.

Thanks for the replies. 

It's not working, but I don't know if all it needs is adjusting. Is that a preferred solution or would it be more challenging? 

I'd also thought about a winch, but considering I'll be using a UHaul car hauler trailer, I'd hate to buy a winch for essentially a one or two time use. I'm not ruling it out, however.

Go buy a come along and some chain from Norther Tool or somewhere similar and just use the come along to load the car. Probably best to buy two sections of chain,one to use to anchor your come along at the front of the trailer,and one longer so can use it to line the car up with the ramps and not run out of cable on your come along. I have short sections of angle iron I use as wheel chocks to keep the car from rolling back when I am shortening or removing the chain,but short pieces of 2x4 also work. 

Use the come along and the chain to chain the car down on the trailer so it doesn't move around.

If one of the brakes is stuck for some reason,pour some ATF on a rag and wipe it around where the tire is dragging. If you have one,take one of those little 30 dollar hydraulic jacks so you can jack it up and smear ATF on the face of the tires where they drag.

the come along is a limited use tool in my opinion compared with the price of a small chain fall...the chain fall is much more smooth in operation and again versatile.  I even have an electric chain fall and use it to raise and lower my 4' x 16' hinged ramp that give me access to my overhead storage area for the larger items I wish to locate above the shop floor..

the come along is a limited use tool in my opinion compared with the price of a small chain fall...the chain fall is much more smooth in operation and again versatile.  I even have an electric chain fall and use it to raise and lower my 4' x 16' hinged ramp that give me access to my overhead storage area for the larger items I wish to locate above the shop floor..

I have a little 4500 lb Superwinch winch that I can run off a 12 volt battery. I have a plate to hook it to a trailer ball or chain,and winch pretty much any car that rolls right to me.

Then again,I live and work alone,have a bunch of project and parts cars,and can justify that expense ($210)  because I do a lot of this crap and am getting too old and feeble to use a come along like I used to.

The newbie would probably have a hard time justifying that sort of expense for a one-time use.

And here is my two cents worth!  Make sure you chain down your rig as it can bounce off whatever system you use.  Last week just around the corner a guy was bringing home a Model T Ford from a parade about two miles away and of course what happen it bounced off! Not too smart of a guy moving his nice old car.  It landed on it side and didn't look pretty.  My suggestion is to get some friends and a come along and wench the rig up to it moving platform.  I have just been involved with moving 56 t bird that way and an old tractor also that way.  Good luck whatever which way you perform your move and have fun.