Original B1 Jack Type?

Does anyone happen to know what types of tire jacks, if any, were supplied with B-1 trucks?  If so, do you have pictures of the jack top?

After a couple of flat tire incidents I have realized the need to invest in a different jack for such emergencies.  In the past I've carried a bottle jack, but when placed under the frame it can't lift the frame high enough to get the spare tire onto the hub, as the spring action keeps the hub near the ground.  The bottle jack is also too tall to get under the axle, which is pretty much on the ground when the tire is flat.

All four leaf springs have a circular cup on the bottom that appears to be intended for jacking, and the placement makes perfect sense, on the rear of the rear leaf springs, and on the front of the front leaf springs.  But I'm wondering what type of jack (or jack top) was intended to "mate" with these cups.  I looked through the product literature and owners manual and only found information about how to dismount and remount the tire on the rim, but nothing about raising the truck off the ground.

Attached are two pictures showing the cups on the leaf springs that I'm assuming are the intended jacking points.

post-4589-0-58332800-1374943200_thumb.jpg

post-4589-0-51655000-1374943422_thumb.jpg

The circular holes on the leaves of the springs on my car were for holding the oilite anti-friction things in place, not as jack points. I suspect the same is true for your newer truck.

I too have troubles getting a hydraulic bottle jack under the axle if the tire is flat. But the screw type axle jack that was in the car (perhaps original to the car but I don't know for sure) fits nicely.

Thats the rear end of a route van with swing axles. The factory jack was most likely a old style screw jack.

I'd just carry a good quality 5-10 ton bottle jack. I'd jack under the spring U-bolt plates-not on that round puck.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Hmmm... Good food for thought.  Thanks for all the pointers!

Does anyone have a photo of the Oilite anti-friction devices that were mentioned?  The cups don't have holes in the tops of them, they just look like they're welded onto the bottom of the leaf spring.

The advantage of using the circular cups would be that it would keep the top of the jack from sliding out of place.  Even if I could get a jack under the axle itself, unless the jack had a cup or saddle on the top of it, it would be very risky.  The only "secure" jacking spots seem to be the frame (which is high and would require an even higher lift) and these circular cups.  The cups are not exactly level, but the cup could keep the jack from sliding out of place.

A scissor jack next to the axle (near the u-bolt plate) might work OK, but there's a risk of it sliding forwards or backwards, especially when the axle is a little gunky.

And since this is a Route Van, any heavy unsecured object is a projectile hazard, so a jack that I can attach during stowage has a huge advantage.

Mine came with this one...

stockjack_zps980753a2.jpg

Have seen the same exact type in a few other trucks over the years, mostly out in WA.

I use a 5-15 inch lift floorjack that shipped in a plastic storage bin. Fits under the axles of my B1B just fine, right now the truck is on a stand and a 12 ton air over hydraulic bottle jack.