1951 Desoto Fluid Drive Problems

ActionGrant
Go to solution Solved by Frank Elder,

Hi Everyone, long time no post!

I have a 1951 DeSoto Custom (S15) with a 250.5 L6 and a two range Fluid drive transmission.

Currently the issue I'm having is that when driving the car, when its cold there are no problems, but as it heats up I start to notice a squeaking coming out of what sounds to be the transmission.

This only happens when I am driving along after the car has shifted out of underdrive and I am not accelerating any more.  I notice a squeaking that is speed dependent (faster if I'm driving faster) when I let off the gas to coast along.

Any thoughts on what this might be?

Hello and welcome.

The noise that you describe could possibly be a universal joint. I am not sure of the type that your DeSoto is equipped with but I remember that my 1949 Chrysler Windsor had the cross type instead of the trunion type with the rubber boots. You may have one that the grease has dried up on and is letting you know it. Good luck to you.

John R

Don:

I actually haven't checked the fluid levels.  I was under the impression that the rear differential was sealed and doesn't have a fill plug on this year.  Other issue I have is, when I had the carpet installed the shop glued it to the floor even over the access panel for the transmission and I tackled that particular issue yet...

John:

I'm pretty sure it is a cross type.  I have to jack the car up and check it to see if it looks dry or feels loose.  I've parked it for now as I've been quite busy with work and classes but I hope to take a look at it next week.

Frank:

When you say another, do you mean this happened to you as well or there was another topic on it?  It doesn't seem to make the sound when it is in underdrive.

Also of note, I forgot to mention that the sound stops immediately if I push in the clutch while coasting along.

Thank you for the responses!