1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

As a rookie to the site, but not to life, this thread makes me feel like a guy who has walked into a drunken party, and does not understand the inside jokes, commentary, and the back and forth.

…………but I do understand and appreciate the time and effort that Paul has taken to post his build, even with poor pictures, ……without people like him most forums would be empty.

Thanks, Paul.

I'm a six banger guy for sure. My 64 Dart Wagon has a slant and the 36 Dodge coupe project in waiting is getting a 54 218. With that said, this Wagon would look perfect with drag slicks and a 426 under the hood.

I've been struggling with picture issues for several friends.

A question is,....are Paul's Pics from a cell phone?  Cell phone pics, especially from even a two year old phone, gets real fuzzy when you enlarge to the size we like on this forum?

Another question is,....if you're using a camera, what are your settings?  Setting for max amount of pics yields real low resolution pics.  Set the camera to max resolution.  Also check if the camera is set for "macro", which is for photographing closeups like flowers and bugs.  That would also yield fuzzy images of larger, more normal, subjects. 

I've been struggling with picture issues for several friends.

A question is,....are Paul's Pics from a cell phone?  Cell phone pics, especially from even a two year old phone, gets real fuzzy when you enlarge to the size we like on this forum?

Another question is,....if you're using a camera, what are your settings?  Setting for max amount of pics yields real low resolution pics.  Set the camera to max resolution.  Also check if the camera is set for "macro", which is for photographing closeups like flowers and bugs.  That would also yield fuzzy images of larger, more normal, subjects. 

Looks like something has stripped off the Exif metadata from Paul's images. Maybe Photobucket, maybe something else. Anyway that means you can't just check the image to see how it was taken. So Paul will have to be the one to say what camera he is using and how he is using it.

Maybe I've got cataracts?

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

!) Most of the members who see blurry pics are ageing thus I fear cataract problems, (2) Camera is a Vivitar 3.0 mp, (3) I took these with the landscape setting as I did the others HOWEVER, (4) I did NOT edit these. 

Progress report: Timothy Plym convinced me to hammer out the deep depressions, etc. I have a fairly complete set of hammers and anvil, given to me, so I consulted with TA then did some reading, and this morning I took on the challenge of the hood. I am amazed at how quickly a dent or crease will disappear when the hammer and anvil get busy. I looked for a shrinking disc in town but could not find one. 

So. . . plugging away, a panel at a time. 

SuburbanPhototests-hoodpostmetalhammer00

• Like 1

Thanks to Old Ray. It's better to have members taunt than ignore. Caps, just a couple spares, put them there to see if those with cataract problems could read them, and I don't know when to use a round flatter and a square one. Evidently what I call a hammer, is correctly called a flatter. What is the 'anvil' called, a dilla shell? :confused:

Hood looks much better now and the pics are not as fuzzy either.  Looks like some bondo may be in there yet.  Grind that out and bump the metal back out.  The less filler you need to use, the better.  I still call them hammers and the anvil is called a dolly and I use one like you show quite a bit.  For finishing a panel I switch over to a slapper instead of the hammer and use a file to locate highs and lows.

The dolly in the pic is usually called a bumping dolly as it made to be held on the smaller rounded end the be held in the hand and bumped up or down on body panels in low/high spots. Any piece of metal or even wood can be used as a dolly to reach areas that need work. I've used almost everything at one time or another in body work.

Paul, i'd suggest a trip to harbor freight to get some body tools that include some more shapes of dollys. Why? You want to use a dolly that best fits the shape of the metal that when straightened best matches the original shape. If you look at some more that are avail. you will see what i'm talking about.

Hope that video I fowarded to you was of some help. The shrinking disc was totally new to me, but does seem to work easily.

For you that do not know what i'm talking about i'll try to put that up on another post soon, before I get in trouble again! :rolleyes:

Doug

My vision is getting better now.

• Like 1

Hood looks much better now and the pics are not as fuzzy either.  Looks like some bondo may be in there yet.  Grind that out and bump the metal back out.  The less filler you need to use, the better.  I still call them hammers and the anvil is called a dolly and I use one like you show quite a bit.  For finishing a panel I switch over to a slapper instead of the hammer and use a file to locate highs and lows.

I agree with dave,

Remove that old filler. Because if its some of the early bondo it does not flex well in heat or hold on as tightly as the newer stuff.

A grinder with 80 grit disc will remove it quickly-wear a dust mask!- then you can properly repair the dents with the least amount of filler that's also the newer good stuff!

doug

This is becoming an "original patina" candidate.In old school font, paint a surf board on the side and put "Sand, Sea, and Surf" on the surf board.

Now you are talking! Just finishing this OT project to start on my Dodge (Plymouth). Patina rules ! The door art is a decal !  post-5740-0-71403600-1378389052_thumb.jpg

This is becoming an "original patina" candidate.In old school font, paint a surf board on the side and put "Sand, Sea, and Surf" on the surf board. 

Suburbanoriginalpatinacandidate001_zpsc0

Paul;

Still keeping an eye on you and your project. :)

I like the patina....and the surfboard idea. If you mounted a large old school board with a huge skeg on the roof....the skeg could double as a stabilizer fin at Bonneville. Keep at it.

Jeff

" . . . a huge skeg on the roof. . . " I had to look up the meaning of a skeg. It's a Scandinavian term for a beard. Since my mother was a swede, this surf idea is getting very interesting. I could put a drowning dilla on the skeg which might appease Plymouthy. Maybe put slicks on the back and smaller tires on the front. Thank you, to you and Ray for the support, it was getting lonely here at the top!   B) 

Edited by pflaming

" . . . a huge skeg on the roof. . . " I had to look up the meaning of a skeg. It's a Scandinavian term for a beard. Since my mother was a swede, this surf idea is getting very interesting. I could put a drowning dilla on the skeg which might appease Plymouthy. Maybe put slicks on the back and smaller tires on the front. Thank you, to you and Ray for the support, it was getting lonely here at the top!   B) 

Paul;

I have no idea what a drowning dilla is ........ but a skeg is the fin on the back of a surfboard....... or at least it was. 

Looks like you are having fun........and so far have not hurt yourself... ;) ....so I say keep at it.

Maybe you will become the next Big Daddy? Or maybe MoonDawgy is more like it.

Jeff