1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

I was taught in grammer school that horse should not be in caps :cool:

No,it's roller skates.  Horses must never be on roller skates.

I'm back DA sanding. This side has seen a goodly amount of time with 80 and 120 grit. It is all smooth to the palm. Some paint chip marks remain, I don't know if I should get heavy handed with them to get them out. 

Old bondo is like concrete. It takes a good clean 80 grit and pressure to take it down. The PO did not even trowel it, just laid it on and left it.  This is my first prep to paint experience. It appears to me that this is not unlike eating an elephant. Got to take it one section at a time.

(to be continued)

SuburbanDAsandingPassengerside002_zps18e

SuburbanDAsandingPassengerside001_zps8b3

This is a test for you Paul. What does DA stand for?

Those paint chips will need to be feathered out well or they will show through when painted over. Block sanding the primer and the use of a guide coat will tell you when the surface is flat.

Oops! Sorry Don. Thought you meant the work would be a test for Paul. Didn't think you were quizzing him>

Edited the answer out. Maybe he hasn't read it yet

Edited by Dave72dt

I believe this was for Paul and only Paul to answer...lol     we old diehards know the lingo...

I edited the answer out. maybe he hasn't read the post yet

Similar  pics to these were posted earlier. This side of the vechicle now has been sanded with 80 then 120 grit until there are no paint chips nor scratches to the touch. I test with my eyes closed. The tail gate is at the same stage. Will do  the driver side on Monday. I think once the entire car is at this stage, I can then put on a mid coat sealer. 

The second picture is my firewall. I do not think the flat black finish is paint.  It comes off VERY hard. 80 grit just barely takes it off. The front suspension has the same stuff. I'm wondering if it is some kind of rust inhibitor like por 15.  

(To be continued)

Suburban120gritstage001_zps0484f003.jpg

Suburban120gritstage002_zpsfa16f315.jpg

From 80 grit to 320 grit with a DA (dual action) sander. The top had three layers before I reached the kaki color. I used each layer to determine how close I was to the next. All came off quite easily.

The side panels were harder to do. I lifted the car as high as the jack would go which help immensely. On the quarter panel the blue was very hard to remove. On the door had to be very careful.

I trying to save as much Kaki as possible.  The brown and shiny areas are where I had to be aggressive to smooth out deep chips and scratches. 

Last evening i chatted with my artistic daughter. We decided the car needed to be painted. So will go with a dark kaki on the bottom,  white around the windows and on the top.  RIms will be a deep brown, as will the interior.

SuburbanPatina3Stage320Grit004_zps406f20

Three layers of paint and primer on the top.

SuburbanPatina2Stage180Grit003_zpsd9bc6e

SuburbanPatina2Stage180Grit004_zps0fa4fe

My latest shop tool. So nice to have a good place to rest the tiring legs.

ShopChair_zps3fb899dc.jpg

Finding the body trim is going to be a challenge. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. 

(to be continued)

Edited by pflaming

A person should not have so much enjoyment at my age. I find it fascinating to 'discover' what lies beneath.  To me it makes no difference it it's the old paint or an old 'tired' engine. To clean it back to a new normal and then either restore or repair is a bit demanding but most enjoyable. I think this will be a great vehicle when completed. I trust someone is enjoying my 'trip'!

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/140b21e218958270?compose=140c67b28b31dee0

SuburbanPatinadriverssidefrontfender002_

SuburbanPatinadriverssidefrontfender001_

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

You are one heck of a hard worker Paul! I have a lot of respect for someone who works hard! keep it up. I Hope you finish it by Christmas. It will be a nice Christmas present for you and your family!!!

Bob

Some progress, still areas to work but the first coat of rough stuff is off. Front fenders and hood will go on in the morning and then they will get a face lift.

THEN: I will have to learn how to block sand. Lots of work but it's nice at the end of the day to see progress. 

(to be continued)

SuburbanPrepDriversSide1001_zps35b83d52.

SuburbanPrepDriversSide1003_zps04754ae1.

I'm starting to piece this vehicle back together. Inner fender shields are in storage, but this is what I have to work with now. But for the hood, I'm not too overwhelmed. I wanted to sand this fender and hood today but by the time I finished the yard and did some clean up the temp was pushing 100 and the time was 12:00. So something left for Tuesday. 

Suburbanfrontfendersandhood002_zps7836fe

Suburbanfrontfendersandhood004_zps03cfff

Suburbanfrontfendersandhood001_zps995fee

To restore this hood concerns me. It appears some Packer fan sat on it and 'caved' it in. Someone has worked on it and I suppose that will have to be removed. I have no clue on how to take that valley out. 

Suburbanfrontfendersandhood003_zps4a759e

Edited by pflaming

Your pictures suck. Do better. Hire a good picture taker.

I just need to down a couple more beers now and those photos will look fine. I still reckon that your camera wants more light to take a clear photo Paul.

Great job on the project though. Keep the photos coming mate as I'm sure that I am not the only one who is enjoying following your progress reports.

Question? Will the extended headlght hoods from other mopar fenders fit on '52 - 54 Dodge fenders? I like the 56 hoods/rims I wonder if they will fit. 

Edited by pflaming

Same fenders and hood after one sanding to get to solid material and find bad spots. I've got some metal shrinkage to do. So another learning curve and also a new tool, i.e., shrinking disc.  I have a set of 52 Dodge fenders I wanted to use, but they do NOT work. Bummer, I like the Dodge grill.  These are a bit bright, sorry abot that. 

Suburbandoghouse1stsanding002_zpsf998ffc

1b9fca5c-7573-4227-89c5-10719528a004_zps

Edited by pflaming

Poor paul and his camera issue's! :D