1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

Doing light tasks these days. These bed frames were in my way so I repurposed them into a top rack. I will remove some of rhe front mounts, kept them to help square it for welding.

I like making something useful from discarded items.  The flower urn picture I made for a Christmas present for my daughter. I made the urn and frame, and the flowers and let her arrange them. Fun stuff

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_2064.JPG

I moved the chassis to the front garage. Will put the body on it when we return from Maine. Top rack is on the frame. 

IMG_3347.JPG

Edited by pflaming

What happens if the chassis gets a desire to go on it's own?

Any safety chains?

This is a two person method. My granddaughter steered the chassis. A log chain through the pipe pulls, the pipe maintains a taunt chain. 

IMG_3344.JPG

Edited by pflaming

WOW!?

Today I moved the chassis under the body. Now I can get the two together again. That will be end of July, we are headed for Maine first. My pipe and chain works quite well for pushing as well.

IMG_3361.JPG

IMG_3363.JPG

Glad you got the chassis moved with out any catastrophe.

Looked very scary...

• 1 month later...

I'm moving forward again. Been doing small items in my shop until noon. Now back to the chassis to finish the brakes, etc.  Sometimes  luck is unknowingly with us. Found the rear 4X4 had moved!!! Now there is a stablizug jack under there. I hope to have chassis and frame together Tuesday. 

IMG_4770.JPG

I wouldn't even let my cat walk under that!

Now... you're supports are deadly.☻

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

The single stands have been replaced since I took the picture. Just prior I had a dual bar across so each was doubling for the other, yet TKS for keeping an eye out for me and good tips to others. 

We need you to be safe and be able to entertain us for a long time!

• Haha 1

The body now is secure. Chassis on the way to my shop for rear brakes and other detail best done sans the body. So now all can relax! 

IMG_4829.JPG

Edited by pflaming

Roof buckle?  That came with the car, "stretch mark" , it's actually called "character ".   If a car has no dents and perfect paint, then people take a quick look, say, "nice!" and walk on. But have an historical dent or two and original patina they walk up and say "how did you buckle the roof!"    

It may be an improvement  but it still looks unsafe to me.  those three legged stands on the front end need some triangulation to the support beam, the 4 x 4 should be lagged down to the car ( assuming they're  sitting under the front body mounts), the rear four leg stand needs triangulation as well and the 4 x 4 in the middle  does nothing to prevent a collapse if either end were to kick out, especially when sitting on bottle jacks.. The body coming off your stands earlier should have been an indication of the need for proper support.  Why did it shift so you had to reset the rear stand?  What caused it to come down onto the frame.

These projects are supposed to be enjoyable.  I t won't be if safety is shortcutted and you get hurt.  You put something up that high, the supports need to be rock solid.  Working under it, pushing, prying, hammering,  scraping. means extra caution needs to be your highest priority.  Be careful and be safe!

10 minutes ago, Dave72dt said:

It may be an improvement  but it still looks unsafe to me.  those three legged stands on the front end need some triangulation to the support beam, the 4 x 4 should be lagged down to the car ( assuming they're  sitting under the front body mounts), the rear four leg stand needs triangulation as well and the 4 x 4 in the middle  does nothing to prevent a collapse if either end were to kick out, especially when sitting on bottle jacks.. The body coming off your stands earlier should have been an indication of the need for proper support.  Why did it shift so you had to reset the rear stand?  What caused it to come down onto the frame.

These projects are supposed to be enjoyable.  I t won't be if safety is shortcutted and you get hurt.  You put something up that high, the supports need to be rock solid.  Working under it, pushing, prying, hammering,  scraping. means extra caution needs to be your highest priority.  Be careful and be safe!

You had me right until "Working under it, pushing, prying, hammering,  scraping".......

As it now rests, I have no intention of doing anything to that body. It is essentially in storage. If I were to work under it, it would be sitting on shipping pallets. When I was raising it, I did not get underbit once. It toppled when I pushed the chassis under and hit a leg. Fortunately  it went to the wall, so it did not topple very far. No damage, no one hurt. 

PS, do I recall a picture of Young Ed removing an overdrive with the car body propped up by a barrel?? Surely not! 

Edited by pflaming

3 hours ago, pflaming said:

As it now rests, I have no intention of doing anything to that body. It is essentially in storage. If I were to work under it, it would be sitting on shipping pallets. When I was raising it, I did not get underbit once. It toppled when I pushed the chassis under and hit a leg. Fortunately  it went to the wall, so it did not topple very far. No damage, no one hurt. 

PS, do I recall a picture of Young Ed removing an overdrive with the car body propped up by a barrel?? Surely not! 

calling foul on others somehow makes what you doing okay....lol.....who is first to jump off the bridge...

if the man feels this is safe, it is on him, his car/his shop/his rules it has only fallen once so far.....

10 hours ago, pflaming said:

Yes that is true. However that was in a junkyard in less than ideal conditions. Believe me Mark and I were freaked out being under that 52!