1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

Seat down. Once the panels are fitted and secured, the seat mount bars placed under the panel and a few minor issues, this will work very nice and with power adjustments will be very comfortable. A nice dark khaki rug will be a nice final piece.

IMG_6319.JPG

I've been watching for a heater and found this on Facebook market place. Seller asking $21.00. I contacted him. He asked. If I would share what it would be used in, when I said, "A '53 Plymouth Suburban!", he said, in that case, the heater is free. When rebuilding, be patient. I also found a complete '53 Plymouth 218 engine with radiator and transmission fo $400. Tempted to buy it, but didn't. Good buy. 

IMG_6325.JPG

Edited by pflaming

I'm reassembling the Suburban, focused only on what I necessary to drive it. Now all new switches, small investment for dependability, and all wires now are alive when the appropriate switch is activated. Tomorrow, restart the engine and confirm the alternater works, the all up front lights. 

Im starting to believe in myself again.

IMG_6378.JPG

Edited by pflaming

your pink wire is 12 volt supply to the dropping resisitor...the red wire on the other resistor terminal to the coil...thus when power is applied and the points are closed you have approx. 7.2 volts which is the standard 6 volt operating voltage to saturate the coil….you made no provisions of 12 volt on the coil side of the dropping resistor to provide 12 volts to the coil when starting the engine thus limiting your very voltage and ultimately the coils output spark in start mode...

the factory when going to 12 volts still used the standard gauges and also the same coil....they controlled the voltage from there for said operations.  In controlling the coil voltage, they wired it as stated to run on 6 through the dropping resistor so not to overheat the coil which would be about 20 minutes of run time if you lucky.  So they provided a start on 12 feature that would allow for a very hot spark when starting,  this was in form of a second 12 volt supply to the coils side of the dropping resistor for 12 volts while in START mode only, thus the saying start on 12 run on 6.

Today, April 29 I will bleed the brakes, put fuel in the tank start the engine and go for a drive around the block. There still remain some small cosmetic items.

I bought these heavy chrome lux rings today, set of four for $40. I already have a set of Mayflower caps. A bit of bling and a touch of red, perfect. 

IMG_6392.JPG

Edited by pflaming

• 4 weeks later...

update:,DMV end of the week. Been working steady, but body not what it was a year ago. Will spend July and August near Bath, Maine. Anyone close,, let's do lunch!

Will finish the Suburban this fall. 

Hi Paul,

I'm just off Route 1 - about 175 miles south of Bath!  If your travels bring you into Massachusetts, let me know and we'll try to get together.

• 2 weeks later...

I resanded and repainted the bottom half. It’s much crisper now. I’m not sure of the steering wheel. May repaint it the lighter color. I found a pair of complete headlight buckets, so now I can complete the electrical. That done, I’ll bleed the brake lines and go for a drive. 

5C166FCD-E889-419F-A8FF-0C32293B8E2E.jpeg

• Like 1

At this point in the closing stages, little things mean a great deal. A pair of really nice headlight buckets and rings. Very pleased, the bolts, screws Nd inside springs are in excellent shape. The dash goes in next. 

B06B7385-307B-40B1-8F14-9F40652A801F.jpeg

Partially installed the dash tonight after dinner. Light reflection changes the colors. Will look better in daylight. 

71C1BAE3-66C4-4D5A-B5B1-20166E41C9F2.jpeg

5B7E1529-E4BC-4E5F-8B87-DED1CB6D3373.jpeg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Update, don’t know what happened to the above photos. Had some issues with the brakes but now have a new master cylinder installed. Bleeding should now be possible. Health issues have really slowed me down. With the front rims removed, I now lower the front to work on the engine and I raise one side when I need to work under or in the car. 

CHP Appointment for vin verification on the 25th. With brakes I can drive this car. 

68876DF9-699B-4366-8FB1-4D3F52C76618.jpeg

It is looking good. Just be proud you got er did. I still get things done, just have to laugh at myself for the amount of time things now take me.

Took me a week to rebuild the driveline and fix brakes on my daily driver, then another week to replace the ignition switch and turn signal switch.

But got er did.

Today starting on the wifes car, oil change, clean the iac valve and wash and vacuum. We need it for a  trip on Monday.

So far I have the hood open    :D

Just do what you can and enjoy the process. don't worry about the time.

• Thanks 1