1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

I visited an upholstery shop this morning. To redo the buckets with new matching covers on the rear seats, $1,800.00. To recover the rear seats to match the buckets, $800.00. Those are possibly realistic prices. A new full upholstery cost probably equals a full exterior paint finish. 

Probably should get them done.

What about just redoing the original front and back seat for cost? You still need to look at headliner, door panels, kick panels, etc. It's hard to do a car and make it look half decent and expect to make money on it, Paul...............or even break even. I think you should just plan on keeping and driving it as you are saying your truck is going to family.

I really shouldn't be quite so open, but this thread is meant to document the good and the questionable that occurs along the way. So, seats:  there is a pair of two tone gray bucket seats here in town. I'm going to look at them but find a nice pair.

For the rear seats, my seats are intact, so I'm going to carefully remove the covers for patterns, then buy matching material and cover them myself. That approach will be inexpensive and will harmonize with my repurposing approach for the car. Then the next owner can do as he wishes. I will keep the 60/40 split front seat frame and include it with the sale.  

These suburbans are very popular with the surfer culture, which is only two and a half hours away,  so I'm not too concerned about selling.  Photo is what I'll be looking at. 

Edited by pflaming

Regarding the headrest issue:  I agree that the interior would look better, more period and blend with the rest of the Suburban best without.  But, if I were to drive it a lot I'd want them.  The value of a good head rest in a rear end collision is very high as it helps prevent whiplash or other neck injuries.  I'd suffer some style points to gain that.  Also,  good seat belts and probably  shoulder harness to the outer positions would be on my must have list.  .

• Like 1

I’ve just finished up the interior of my ‘54 Dodge Suburban and have kept it stock. I guess the style you go with depends on what you’re going to do with the rest of the car. If you’re going to target the surfers, go with the bench. Modern seats aren’t really their style. Your car, your rules though. 

C8DB6C9F-1838-41DF-BCD8-21D2735F5C15.jpeg

E3886BF4-E993-48E3-8982-AF117D8B46E7.jpeg

• Like 2

Re: headrests, they are removable, owners choice.

This morning, manifolds, that bottom center nut is a challenge, especially with semi numb fingertips, carpel tunnel results.

IMG_3047.JPG

Seat research is ongoing. This morning I attached the transmission to the engine and then set that combo into the frame. It's starting to get exciting. 

IMG_3056.JPG

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

Bucket seats were wrong color. Question, today is details, should one put loc tight on the universal joint connection to the tranny. Or should they be torqued? 

2 hours ago, Adam H P15 D30 said:

How come the overdrive isn't going in?

If the car was for me, it would go in!!! But to sell, very few know what an overdrive is let alone how to use it, so to put it in is to throw away some good $$$ and the possibility the buyer messes it up and calls me for help. A standard three on the tree is vertically indestructible. I'm not even going to put in my floor shifter for the same reason. But I will place a quality repair manual in the glove box. 

• Like 1

You should have put some carefully cut card board on the swivel chair.

Now it's probably ruined with oil stains??

I believe that I removed an anti sway bar from my '53. I have two on the floor but cannot figure out how to mount one. Anyone have a good picture?

IMG_3080.JPG

Edited by pflaming

Installed this today also. I had parts from several engines. It took a while to find the correct pieces. They looked the same, but were not. Tricky.  

IMG_3086.JPG

Today I received my body mounts from Roberts. I misread their prices to wit: $9.00 per mount times 20 = $180.00. The price is $9.00 per set of two or $9.00 X 10 = $90.00.  Since I had misquoted I felt a correction was needed.

IMG_3090.JPG

9 hours ago, pflaming said:

Today I received my body mounts from Roberts. I misread their prices to wit: $9.00 per mount times 20 = $180.00. The price is $9.00 per set of two or $9.00 X 10 = $90.00.  Since I had misquoted I felt a correction was needed.

That is much better than the pricing mentioned earlier!  I think folks were talking prices near $300.  Makes the decision to not cut up a mallet much easier, and wiser.

• Like 1