1954 Plymouth Suburban Project

pflaming

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎01 at 11:27 PM, pflaming said:

Front shot with modified grill.  I do not like the 53 or 54 grilles. This makes the car look wider imho.

IMG_8307.JPG

Sorry Paul, but not a fan of the grille. I like both the '53 and '54 grilles with a preference for the '53 as I own one. However, your car so do what pleases you, not me. You are making progress.

IMG_0190_zpscxwega0e.jpg

• Like 1

Those '53 and '54 Plymouth grilles look like someone holding a pencil or pen across his mouth, or someone with his lower lip behind his top teeth.  Just my impression.  At least it's not an Edsel.

I'll go back to my corner now, and stare at the wall.   Let me know when I can come out.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DonaldSmith said:

Those '53 and '54 Plymouth grilles look like someone holding a pencil or pen across his mouth, or someone with his lower lip behind his top teeth.  Just my impression.  At least it's not an Edsel.

I'll go back to my corner now, and stare at the wall.   Let me know when I can come out.

both the 53 and 54 have their merit...the biggest thing about these model years is that 'tend to grow' on you over time.   I own a 54 and being 100% truthful, it having integral rear fender, non split windshield, it was not how you say a car I would search for. It had these major things going for it or else I would never have bought it.  2 door, unmolested body, price and automatic /230 in that order, heck the car was brought to me, I was not looking to buy.  Its often a case of a mothers love, thankfully they never throw out the baby due to looks....good thing, many here would not be here if truth was known.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Once my grille is complete: bolted in, park lights, headlight rims, etc I'm confident it will all look just fine. Grilles are like neckties very personal.  To be continued. 

Progress is slow in 100+ degree weather. I installed a swamp cooler and that will help immensely. When I tightened my manifold bolts, one stripped so I had to learn how to install a helicoil. The time consuming task was to remove the manifold.  Oh, in the Bay Area be careful which lane you drive in. Ouch, cost me a  fuel pump kit!

Edited by pflaming

Money as was requested was sent Friday. I'm not comfortable with an issue like this, it lessens the enjoyment of this forum. My apologies to members at large. 

Paul

Edited by pflaming

• 2 weeks later...

Spent this afternoon detailing and double checking the wiring under the dash. I just learned with my truck, that when one wire grounds out and gets HOT it fries all the wires next to it. When the factory installed smoke escapes something is very wrong! 

The lights checked out, so tomorrow I will test the wires to the engine. I was not aware that a car's harness was so much more involved than a truck harness. Been a huge challenge for me. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

Paint yes, probably same as the car. But I have two sets of rims and tires, one set chrome steelies the other set stock. To be a bit more current, could go matt black on the grill bars and bumper, and black without caps on the rims, and black wall tires. The body stays original paint.  If my knees cooperate I may be only  couple of weeks away from driving this car. Will have a lot of detailing to do after that, but can enjoy while I continue. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow lost a month. I had the block valves ground and valves checked assembled it and it started and ran nicely but didn't sound quite right so I check the cylinders and one had no compression. After a lot of unsuccessful work, I took pictures and showed them to my machinist, I had the valves in that cylinder switched. Engines get dirty when worked on so stripped it and repainted. So today, reassembly. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 2

The original mount bracket was held by only one  transmission bolt. This mount is held be two bolts, very secure. Details. It works, but I think all pivot bolts will need to be shoulder bolts into tapped holes and most nuts eliminated to assure proper pressure. Now this shifter can be installed with two existing  transmission bolts and an opening in the tunnel. No adjustments needed. It has a short arm for easy installation, to which a variety of shifters can be attached.  

Engine valve and head installation tomorrow. Currently my knee only allows me about three hours of shoptime a day, but I take what it gives me for now. 

Edited by pflaming

I'm this close to a non-cosmetic driver. Fix that valve and restart the  engine and install, fully install the doghouse, activate the installed EZ ,wiring harness, all systems have been checked out already, bleed the brakes, all new lines are in, and fab mounts to bolt in the 2010 Lincoln bucket seats, the interior is done, and rims and tires are on. So I am close. 

I paid $350 for this Suburban, bought it as a parts car then discovered it was a sound vehicle, so . . . here we are. The pic shows what I found once I steam cleaned it and pushed it in my new shop. Was parked following a minor fender bender, it was given to the person who sold it to me, but his wife told him to get rid of it, so he did. I don't have much money invested yet it does add up. My single largest expense is the EZ harness and my retirement time. 

In hindsight, I could have fixed the  engine and driven it. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Glad to see you saved this car. I know they can't all be saved but everyone that is saved means someone else ( maybe many in the big picture ) can enjoy it. You were sold the car at a reasonable cost, therefore  could afford to invest the time and money in it to get it going again. It's a shame people that aren't really into the actual car hobby and just in it for money drive the prices up. Good luck on the project hope it brings you lots of enjoyment.

• Like 2

I am toying with removing the body from the frame so I can thoroughly clean it. In theory it's not that difficult; in reality what are the biggest issues? I would lift it off, do the frame work and set it back down, straight up and straight down. I would weld in the floor replacement panels first.

I want to put in the Laycock J Overdrive. Would be easier to do that from the top than from the bottom. The overdrive may be a bigger challenge than the body off challenge. This is my last "build" so with my limited skills, I'd like to do at least a decent repair job. 

Edited by pflaming

Today I restarted the engine, too hot in the shop, 101 at 1:00 pm,  to tune it.  I switched the intake and  exhaust valves on cylinder # 4, thus zero compression. Head off, switched the two and now I have six cylinders at pressure within 5 # of each so it should run smoothly. I will tune it tomorrow and take a video. So now I'm back on track. 

Edit, I always keep the engine attached to a snug hoist, 900 #'s falls FAST! 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 3

This afternoon I had the  engine running at high idle for several minutes. cOil pressure at 18.. runs very nicely. I don't recall removing the oil pan and since it had excessive sludge in it I suspect I have not. So will now remove it and make certain all sludge is removed and the oil pump filter is in good shape.  So making small steps forward. 

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sept 21 ---: 21 days since my knee replacement .  We did some mistakes with the oxycodin and got into some overdose problems, but that now is under control and I'm feeling quite good.  Patience when in need of parts will save one tons of money. Today I boight a 218 engine. That runs AND an R10 overdrive for $400.00. Will pick it up tomorrow. So now I have two spare running 218's. Crazy hobby. 

Since this surgery, I have decided this Suburban is my last car so will now keep it and personalize it which means an OD. Should be a very usable vehical. 

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1386.JPG

• Like 1