New Gas Tanks ? 1941-'48 Mopar ?

De Soto Frank

I just got a tank from Young Ed.  He might have another he is willing to sell.  Start by soaking your tank strap retaining nuts and the clamps on the rubber piece on the filler pipe.  The nuts that go through the trunk floor are barrel style so you need to get them from the bottom side also.  The tip is to grab the strap just below the barrel of the nut with needle nose Vise grips tight against the tank so the strap doesn't twist as you try to loosen the nut.  Used a 3/8 drive impact wrench to break the nuts with force rather than twist.  Surprisingly they came off without much struggle.

The major difference between tanks in the forties is between 6 & 8 cylinder models

The 8's have a larger tank that is taller and possibly less wide.

After that most 6 cylinder tanks are similar..however...the filler tube does change slightly on different years and models

This could be problematic if the filler tube does not line up with the hole in your fender.

Here are some pics of the new gas tank, and the associated parts included with it.  There is provision for a vent on top of the tank, and a vent assembly included that I think I will use.  I'll probably have to install a spacer between the tank, and the original mounting due to the height of the 90 degree vent fitting.  And I think I'll punch out a hole in the trunk floor for access to it. The straps included with it are not exact replacements for the originals, but should be fairly easy to adapt.  One of my originals isn't in the best of shape, so I'll use the new ones.  The fuel outlet is 3/8" NPT (I think), so that will require a fitting adapter.  There are baffles installed in the tank.  Overall, it appears to be well made.

Hopefully, I can begin the installation this weekend.

Wayne

post-527-0-86126100-1374778086_thumb.jpg

post-527-0-78625400-1374778103_thumb.jpg

post-527-0-74424600-1374778126_thumb.jpg

Wayne,

Looks pretty nice... will be looking forward to your report on the install.

The odd part about my present (original ) tank is that it looks terrific from the outside - tern coating is nice and bright, no dents, no leaks.

But when I tried to remove the sending unit,  all five screws just snapped right off:  bink! bink! bink! bink! bink!, and if I tried to bear-down on the screwdriver, I would feel the top of the tank flex inward, and I'd hear an accompanying crunchy sound.

When I removed the sending unit, most of the part that lives inside the tank was gone, and the insides of the tank are a terrible rusty-orange color, and it appears that the top of the tank is eroded from the inside, above "water-line".

I'm trying to maintain a driver, so the less I have to spend  on a workable gas-tank that appears reasonably stock, the better.

A buddy has had two tanks re-done by Gas-Tank Renu in Albany, one from a '51 Hudson, the other from a '51 Packard; neither one needed major rust repair, but each tank ran about $400.00.

Frank

I'm also eager to hear how this install goes. My 48 club coupe has an outboard motor boat tank in the trunk currently. I have been eyeing that same tank website but haven't placed my order yet. The original tank in my car is rusted beyond repair from the inside out.

Still not finished, but made up the new straps, using the forward hanger from the old straps. Attached strips of rubber to the new straps, and the upper saddle. Used 3M weatherstrip tape to attach the rubber. The tank is now supported by the new straps, but I have to get a measurement for the 3/8-24 bolts at the rear of the tank, before I can snug things up. Hopefully, I can get that done tomorrow. I have to get things finished up because I have an appointment for a state inspection on Tuesday. Yeah...I work pretty slow. But I'm OK with that.

Got a bit more done today. The tank is now secured in place, the new Edelbrock electric fuel pump is mounted, and the fuel lines are all connected. Next is installing the fuel filler hose assembly. Should be a good project for tomorrow. I also plan to calibrate the fuel gauge/ fuel sender. Add one gallon at a time, and check the fuel sender resistance, as well as the fuel gauge reading. Will take some time, but at least I'll know exactly what's in the tank. Running out of gas can kinda ruin your day.

I'll post some pictures after I've completed the job.

Wayne

I don't believe it - I actually have a gas tank story. When I got my 47 it had been sitting in Arizona for years. I trailered it home. Thought I would be clever and have the tank boiled out and coated. Years pass. I tried to start the car and I wasn't getting any fuel. Took off the fuel pump and it was working fine but no gas was coming out of the tank. I drained the tank and took it off. The coating was peeling off on the inside. I took the tank back and they were going to boil it out. They had the tank for over a week and said the charges were mounting. I'm too old to play around. I drove to my favorite junk yard in Fresno and bought another tank for $150 - got it home and went to another shop and had it boiled out. No rust, clean. I guess the first shop just acquired an old gas tank. I put the new tank in today and will hook everything up tomorrow. It's not as much fun as it used to be working outside in 100° weather.

(just as an OT side note: I don't remember doing this since I was in high school but I took my 48 for a ride and watched the odometer turn to 23000. Just kind of a kick.)

I think the Tanks, Inc units fit pretty well......are just "ugly"......don't  much resemble an original tank.

Wish someone would make a better looking tank.  It shouldn't be too difficult as there are many aftermarket

replacement tanks available for other cars.  Perhaps they don't feel there would be enough demand.  I will

be needing to buy a new one soon I think.  I looked at a catalog of tanks from O'Reilly auto stores.....as I

recall a certain Ford tank was similar size and look, but the filler neck would have to be relocated.   

Ah well.............

I think Tanks, Inc.  is trying to provide a custom-fit product for an attractive price, and therefore, some concessions probably have to made...  for folks trying to resurrect a driver or building a rod, they're most likely more interested in  a tank that "fits and works", and appearance takes a back-seat.  Still a lot better than a plastic fuel-cell sitting on the trunk floor.

There's a lot more work involved to create the '41-'48 MoPar car tank than is used to make the Tanks, Inc. replacement.

I agree, it would be nice if the appearance were closer to stock, but then I wouldn't be surprised if the price doubled or tripled.

Frank McM.

I think the Tanks, Inc units fit pretty well......are just "ugly"......don't  much resemble an original tank.

Wish someone would make a better looking tank.  It shouldn't be too difficult as there are many aftermarket

replacement tanks available for other cars.  Perhaps they don't feel there would be enough demand.  I will

be needing to buy a new one soon I think.  I looked at a catalog of tanks from O'Reilly auto stores.....as I

recall a certain Ford tank was similar size and look, but the filler neck would have to be relocated.   

Ah well.............

I agree with Bob and often wonder why its not made myself. A reproduction tank for 39-47 dodge trucks is available now and its not 100% OEM but it is the same shape and look. I think they run 275. Later mopars and and lots of fords and chevys have exact reproduction tanks and they are quite reasonable. Some even have multiple versions available for street rods.

I agree that if someone would make an exact fair price reproduction there would be a were worn path to their door...the powers to be however see things differently..Tank Inc. is making an application albeit not cosmetically close in appearance...but at least provide you a source for trouble free fuel delivery 

There are 15 gallon, 25 x 18 x 10-7/8 fuel tanks on ebay for around $80.00 delivered.

They are for the older Jeeps.

www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Fuel-Tank-15-Gallon-for-87-90-Jeep-Wrangler-/370857401

Pretty good deal. Some mods required. I have not measured, but for $150 less than Tanks Inc it could be a peach. Straps sell separately. I have purchased from AM Auto Parts online. This ebay price is less than the website price.

same tank is $140 at Advance.

NAPA  $126

Rock Auto $100 + ship  ($15 for me)

Fuel cell..really..and the Tanks Inc unit is ugly...I am sorry but I cannot see the use of a fuel cell on anything but a dragstrip only car except in an emergency limp in situation.  There is no way you could disguise this tank if mounted under the car proper..if in the trunk it is not a genuine zero emission system and it eats into the storage plus looks 'cheap' at any show with the trunk lid open..

IF you were to use a bit of creative imagination and or just think that a good number of other makes and models had similar set ups you could find a very good replacement tank with more lines more akin to stock tank on the internet...granted a bit of modification may be in order but you going to modify about any other tank as it is anyway...

Fuel cell..really..and the Tanks Inc unit is ugly...I am sorry but I cannot see the use of a fuel cell on anything but a dragstrip only car except in an emergency limp in situation.  There is no way you could disguise this tank if mounted under the car proper..if in the trunk it is not a genuine zero emission system and it eats into the storage plus looks 'cheap' at any show with the trunk lid open..

Fuel cell ???    You lost me here Tim.