Jay Leno's Garage: '41 Plymouth Business Coupe

Shifticus

If you aren't already aware, Leno has a youtube channel where he takes all sorts of interesting cars out on a drive and gives an entertaining talk about their history and driving dynamics. The focus is one car per episode, and range from his early 1900's steam cars to new exotics. Recently, I stumbled upon this episode from 2012; I think you guys will enjoy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5qq9e3apk

• Like 2

What a great clip. He's such a down-to-earth guy that Jay. It's quite obvious that he loves his old Plym. I laughed when I heard him pull at the lights and the brakes were squealing like the ones on my truck - I'm hoping that grinding a bit off the front edge of the shoe pad will fix that soon. Thanks for posting.

Frank, if I recall correctly, Chevrolet had a vacuum assist shift also. It was a vacuum assist which helped pull the shift into the next gear. The driver still shifted but the assist pulled it the final distance. I think it was a 'womans' help idea. Somehow it seems to me that dad disconnected or removed it on his new 46 Chev. 

Leno's video. For someone who is in the communication industry, I expected a better script and lighting. He should have had lights on the dash, the headliner, the engine. Interesting but mediocre presentation. Nice car though. 

When I was 17 years old I paid fifteen bucks for a vacuum shifted 1946 shiverlay. The car was a rust bucket but it did drive and stop. It was a dit tricky to shift as the vacuum assist did not work. I sold the car a few days later for twice what I paid for it.

• Like 1

Soooo......the assisted shift on a 41 plymouth....is that a real option, first time hearing about it for me.

Me,too. I ignored it because I figured with the pros that Leno has working for him,somebody had briefed him on features to talk about,and they surely knew more about it than I do.

I had never heard of vacuum shift on anything other than 40's Chevrolets.

The trunk lid sounds very familar ...........hahaha my son wanted to lube the lid but I told him for now just leave it alone! B)  great sounds!

I do enjoy Leno, when he was a young fellow coming up he opened up as a comic on a few shows (live concerts) I was on back in the mid to late 60s! He had it ruff back then but it seems to have worked out ok for him!  :rolleyes:  Doc. 

Soooo......the assisted shift on a 41 plymouth....is that a real option, first time hearing about it for me.

"Powermatic Shifting - a delightful new car operation to enjoy. Shifting is made vastly easier, requires a minimum of effort. And with the new transmission, actual elimination of certain shifting motions in normal driving. It's a revelation! Try it! Powermatic's the "ONE" for '41!"

post-153-0-82212700-1374512850_thumb.jpg