1949 Busy Coupe Update

falconvan

Thanks! Yeah the whole car is going to be this color; i'm going to work my way all the way around until the body work is done. It's not too bad overall; just a few spots to fix and smooth out some older repairs. Im not taking the whole car to bare metal; just fix some issues, prime/sealer over the old stuff and shoot it.

post-674-0-99304800-1381280366_thumb.jpg

Edited by falconvan

I'm having to take a little hiatus from the fun stuff for the nessesary stuff. My youngest son mashed his Cavalier; thank the Lord he wasnt hurt. Got him another car for school and was going to scrap this but as it's only got 80k miles, I decided to fix it and use it for work transportation. I spent the weekend swapping out the K-member and all the componants on the right suspention. Luckily the unibody wasnt hurt. Now for a fender, bumper, windshield, and airbags and it'll be back on the road.

I did get this side of the bodywork where I wanted it and got several coats on 2K primer on.

post-674-0-55882800-1381795510_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-49889600-1381795526_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-68045700-1381795538_thumb.jpg

Did some cleanup in the garage and putzing around on the 49 today; a little sanding, adjusting the doors, got the motor on a stand and started taking the covers of to check the vitals. Im going to start on the other side this week.

post-674-0-61751100-1382207127_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-71438000-1382207137_thumb.jpg

post-674-0-80551100-1382207150_thumb.jpg

Glad that your son is unhurt!!!! That is definitely a blessing!

I was wondering what your plans are for the emissions related stuff on that engine. Are you going to run catalytic converters? I havent looked under many SHO taurus lately so I am not sure if they have 02 sensors both in front and behind the cats or just in front, or like most F*rds of the time had 4 cats with 4 O2s. Since it is a late model smog compliant engine, are they going to require you to run OEM smog stuff?  Are you going to wire a check engine light into the dash and keep the DLC so you can hook a scan tool up to it if/when you need to? I just realized I asked a butt-ton of questions...I am just curious about your plans and your possible workarounds and solutions to all of the retarded smog/emissions stuff that is all over the engines of today.

I'm not going to run converters, the Taurus had O2 sensors in each manifold which I am moving to the headers. I'm using the stock ECM and there is a company that makes an interface/software package for a laptop called a TWEECER that allows you to get into the Ford programming and customize it for your application. Ill be able to eliminate the smog stuff using that. as far as a check engine light, i havent decided; some guys do and some just plug in periodically and check to see if there are any fault codes. A lot of guys that build sand buggies use these engines and that programmer so luckily there was a lot of information on it out there.

Edited by falconvan
  • Like 1

Not very motivated today but I did make this to go over the big hole in the trunk that I had cut for the fuel tank. Im trying to decide weather or not to pull the heads on this motor, take a peek at the cylinders and change the gaskets before I put it in. Gaskets are pricy for these SHO motors; they want $350 for a head gasket set with the upper gaskets. But then again if I get it all together and have a problem because I didn't check..........

post-674-0-44742500-1382299520_thumb.jpg

Sounds like you got this all planned out! My experience with the SHO engines is they dont really go through head gaskets like the 3.0 OHV or the 3.0 DOHC do...those things need head gaskets like crazy! 350 seems a bit steep for a head gasket kit, but if it comes with new head bolts that may be why it is so expensive.  I was unsure about the smog stuff and any local/state restrictions you may have from running a late model engine in an older car. If I am not mistaken, in California you have to run the emissions crap if you decide to go with a late model engine...cats and everything!!

in California you have to run the emissions crap if you decide to go with a late model engine...cats and everything!!

that is if you go to the CARB and ask what to do!  It's a don't ask don't tell kinda thing,......so far.

Biggest thing in Ca. most often is- do you have a title stating the year that matches the title.

If so, fairly easy.

If no proper paper work matching the car, best bet is to get an official DMV authorized inspector to check it out an supply the DMV with their paper work directly. They can declare the cars year model by what it most closely resembles. No smog etc. if they call it a 46 or 47 etc.

May cost a hunert or two but well worth it in the end.

A old friend only does it that way with projects untitled that he buys, repairs to running and sells them.

Much better selling price when their titled!

Doug

In Kansas -- so I'm told by DMV -- any car over 35 years of age that has been untitled and/or off the road for a few years or more can receive a fresh new Kansas title by passing a Highway Patrol safety inspection.

I don't think they give a whit what powers it. Does it run, drive and stop properly? Do the turn signals, lights, horn, etc., all work? ... You're good to go, or so I'm told.

Missouri is a PIA for getting titles straightened out. I learned a while back not to start putting time and money in a project until I have the title in my name.

So if what I've been told is accurate, it's really the opposite case here. Finish the car, impress the state trooper, get your inspection slip, get your title.

There should be a cottage industry of restoring cars elsewhere, trailering them to Kansas, getting them titled, then taking them back to your own state to exchange the clean new Kansas title for one where you live.