Distributor No Mechanical Advance

1949windsor

the 0-5 volt is TTL logic and is the product of the electronic engine controller and the cam/crank position sensors as they sync and then generate the spark..secondary is still through a coil..albeit these days dedicated mini coils per cylinder eliminating secondary high tension wiring that is subject to breakdown and ultimate failure..personally I love the new modern devices and apply them as I see fit in my builds..

Rodent damage shorted the wires to one of those mini coils and fried it on my wife's 2001. Darned coil cost about the same as ten or so sets of high tension wires for my old Plymouth.

Never had an ignition related failure while driving in cars equipped with points and condenser based ignition systems. So I see no reason to change out a perfectly good working design.

I know that the newer cars with electronic ignition and fuel injection do a far better job of starting in cold weather and staying in tune than the old carburetor and points cars. That is something I appreciate when I head into the mountains in winter. But not something that bothers me for the old car (haven't driven it in snow since the 1970s and tuning it up every few years is no big deal).

I will admit that I am considering getting a set of tire chains for the '33 and finding a serviceable set of old wood skis with bear trap bindings and showing up totally vintage at an older family oriented ski area before I get too old, so there might be some snow in the car's future. But not enough to worry about even changing the carburetor main jet much less anything else.

you preaching to the choir..while I love the modern engine controllers and other systems like the some of it is so far off the wall in replacement cost it is not funny..and beside the coils we have things like the tire pressure monitoring system that is a government mandate on service any time the tire seal is voided and let me tell you...some of these devices are astronomical in price also.   I have these mini coils on my 3.7 installed in the 48 bz cp  and it is my intent to also snag a couple of these coils for road spares.  I am also very happy to have the zero hydrocarbon fuel emission system onboard also..makes my life simple and gives me a 22 gallon tank.

as for the set of chains statement..are these still legal in your state..lots of folks on this side of the Mississloppy have banned them..I had a set of chains I kept around for if I should have to run north for family emergency...loaned them to my bud when he drove home for Christmas...seems he did not take them off the car and as such beat them to death...still shake my head over that one!

I have rodent damage sometimes here..in the form of tree rats (squirrels) and the reason for my all out war on the little destructive varmints.  They have eaten the wiring on three of my daily drivers, ruined one hydroelastic suspension line on a LBC and lastly when doing an oil change noticied they had chewed the lower radiator hose on the mini van..while it was good to service the cooling system..I much prefer it on my own time schedule..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

In some parts of California tire chains are not only legal but mandatory. Dont expect to drive over Donner pass in a snow storm without them.

"In some parts" translates to anywhere it gets snow.

Most people in California live on the coast or in the valleys and don't have a clue about driving in the snow. So at the first hint of snow sticking to the ground "chain control" goes into effect. Several levels of chain control but usually it is "R1". I've never seen "R3" as generally they just close the road by that time. From the CalTrans web site:

Requirement One (R1): Chains, traction devices or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.

(NOTE: Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

• 4 years later...

Forget the HEI module, go straight to a MSD box with your /6 dizzy conversion...:)

You mentioned the springs on the distributor. Check out this link. It's a little dated but very accurate for this topic.

Been going over a lot of these Master Tech vids on you tube. My Genny went bad and I tracked it to the armature.

Joe

Edited by soth122003