1941 Plymouth Vs 1946-48 Plymouth

larryconnors

Is a 41 Plymouth essentially a P15 with external running boards? Does it run and perform just like a P15 or are there mechanical differences that I would notice? Does it accelerate the same and have the same highway speed? My brother had a 41 2 door at the same time I had a 48 2 door. Was I correct thinking I had a superior vehicle or was he better off because he had a running board to sit on?

The 1937 - 1939 Plymouths were interesting experiments in new sheet metal shapes that were VERY rounded. On a 1939 Plymouth the only flat metal (externally) is on the drop boards in hood sides that go below the butterfly hood. The rest of the car was bulbous and rounded and almost like an over inflated cartoon shape. I think they were fantastic with small bodies and WIDE sweeping fat fenders. Many people saw them as too rounded and less then pleasing, I always liked them.

In 1940 the "new" body style emerged, and with slight changes the 1941 Plymouth was refined and improved. The hood opened from the front, the grill changed to the "newer" style, the fenders received "speed stripes" and the trunk received a center mounted brake light.

In my very biased opinion the 1941 Plymouth was probably the most balanced post war design with a very pleasing aesthetic. Probably the reason that there are soooo many models of the 1941 Plymouths rather then the P15's.

The 1941 Plymouth did NOT include a Club Coupe as seen in the later models (1942-1949 first series) instead there was a rare five passenger Auxillary Seat Coupe that had drop down forward facing rear seats. The A/S coupe had the same roof line as the business coupe.

In 1940/41 the larger Chrysler cars (possibly the Plymouth as well) had a runningboard DELETE option that replaced the runningboards with a stainless steel moulding.

The P15 was the natural progression to the design direction which included the moulded in running boards.

I have always wondered if the dog leg behind the front wheel was a problem area for rusting?

Since this is the P15-D24 site I respectfully hold the opinion that the 1941 - 1948 Plymouths were some of the nicest designs.

At the end of the forties and through the mid 50's it seemed like Chrysler's penchant for high roof lines and "stodgy" designs allowed the company to appear less then contemporary.

Once 1957 and on, the Forward Look evolved & Chrysler seemed to have its mojo back. Not that the 1949 - 1956 Plymouths didnt sell they just seemed to have stumbled in design compared to the competition. One theory is that Chrysler himself (while still alive) insisted that a man should be able to get in a car without taking his hat off. Could that be the reason for the penchant for tall roof lines when the competition went lower and wider?

Regardless, the 1941 pre war and the 1946 - 1948 post war Plymouths are some beautifully designed vehicles.

post-153-0-81058800-1373682749_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

How about the frame. The 41 has an x braced channel frame the 47 and all the way to 56 has a ladder braced  "tube" frame.

No big jump in the front suspension basically the same except for the bright idea in 55 when the shock is centered in the coil spring.

The master cylinder was designed to have an integral pedal pivot too. It wall hit the fan in 57... suspension, engine ( except for those with flatties), transmission, body  and interior are completely "out of this world".

As far as I am aware the running board was a delete option for the 1941 Plymouth, I have seen pics of some however I doubt if this option was available here in Oz......having said that I prefer the 40/41's with the running board anyway as they were designed for it and it does fill the hole between the fenders.......as for the Auxillary Seat Coupe.......I sold mine 4mths ago and I miss it........and it was a fairly rare one at that, it was a factory RHD 1941 Plymouth ASCoupe built in Sth Africa.........boohoo.......still miss it....lol........heres couple of pics of the rear seat......andyd

post-612-0-59265800-1373806073_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-99224200-1373806104_thumb.jpg

The running board delete option was available on the 1941 Chrysler Desoto and Dodges.

If they fit the Plymouth I would have to check....as I do have a couple of sets of NOS runningboard delete mouldings.

Simply a matter of measuring the mouldings and then checking the measurement on a 1941 Plymouth.

The whole bottom of the car from the rockers and up about 8" is all custom fabricated including the bottoms of the front and rear fenders. When I got the car it was pretty rusty especially the bottom 6" of the car, it all needed to be replaced. I never cared for the way the bottom of the 46-48 Plymouths  looked so since all that metal needed to be replaced anyway I took it upon myself to make my 46 look similar to a 40-41 without the running boards, which is the look I prefer, especially on a business coupe. I doubt any kind of stock moulding would fit since the rockers are custom made.