1950 Dodge Fargo - Need Help!

Go to solution Solved by buds truck,

Hi All,

My name is Andrea and I'm new to this forum. I have managed to find myself a Dodge Fargo to restore that has no rust. From my understanding this was an Australian one, I do not know much about it apart from it was in QLD for 3 years and then a guy in Bendigo bought it and had it for another 3 years however no one has had the time to restore it until now.

My husband has four Chryslers/Dodges in his collection however this is the first time we are restoring a truck/pick up (at my request!)  I am hoping that someone can shed some light on it's history for me. 

I have attached some photos of the car and the id badges. I would appreciate if anyone can confirm it is a 1950 and that it's an Australian Car and not an import.

Also, this car does not have any back tail lights at all. What are the recommendations? Or are there genuine ones that can be sourced? We are also missing the original badges on the sides of the bonnet (the guy in QLD fitted some non-genuine ones that we will be removing). Any ideas? We also need to know what an original interior looks like as we are missing two of the control buttons on the dashboard.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Andrea

post-6276-0-51815100-1373322811_thumb.jpg

post-6276-0-35339200-1373322826_thumb.jpg

post-6276-0-49477000-1373322839_thumb.jpg

post-6276-0-41824200-1373322926_thumb.jpg

Hi Merle,

It has the original side valve engine in it which still starts and goes however there are currently no brakes. It wouldn't take much to get it running which is a bonus!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Wow. Nice Ute!! Welcome to the forum. :)

Hood badges:

T-130   http://www.robertsmotorparts.com/truck_parts.asp?Action=search&c=Trucks+-+Body+%26+Related+Parts

Which dash knob do you need? Head, Panel, Choke, Throttle.

Second post in this thread shows a dash from Oz.

http://p15-d24.com/topic/28598-pilot-house-dash-boards/?hl=dash

• Like 1

Welcome and Wow! That is in really nice shape. I am sure our man DesotoDav can shed some light on this truck. I would imagine he will see this post pretty quick.

For what it is worth...... the trucks are a way cooler than the cars ...... ;) so you did real good.

Jeff

• Like 1

WOW!  What a "survivor" car!  I'd just clean up the finish and get the mechanicals working! 

Welcome and as said, our OZ friends will have a wealth of info for you!

• Like 1

You just made a lot of American Dodge truck owners extremely jealous. I have a extral full set of knobs so if you can't find some in your area, send me a pm on the one you need.

• Like 1

You just made a lot of American Dodge truck owners extremely jealous. I have a extral full set of knobs so if you can't find some in your area, send me a pm on the one you need.

And welcome to the site! 

• Like 1

Add me to the list of jealous people! I showed your truck picture to my 19 year old twin girls and they both want one!

David A.

• Like 1

Hi Andrea, and welcome to the forum. Well done on finding a truck in such good condition.

I checked up on some data sheets that I have (attached) and they list your truck as a Fargo from 53-55. I assume that it is running a 12V Lucas electrical system, and that your dash is somewhat different to mine pictured by Kevin in Post #4?

You can see the build of my blue 52 truck here... http://gallery.oldholden.com/Streetneat/album73/Davins+Desoto/ if you wish, but I haven't included any dash photos from memory at that site.

I am about to start restoring a truck like yours that has been sitting in my shed for a while - it's a 108BD.

I'll drop you a PM with my email details to chat further with you about your truck.

post-3915-0-42530000-1373346499_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-27481600-1373346507_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow...thank you so much everyone! I feel very welcomed and you have given me a wealth of information to start my project. Look forward to chatting with you all soon and uploading photos of my progress when the project commences.

Cheers

Andrea

• Like 1

Wow....What a mighty fine Ute! ^_^

I often wonder if I'll ever get chance to see one. :(  

Anyone here in the States have one? :huh:

welcome to our forum Andrea!....can't wait to see it comes together for ya. :)

48D

• Like 1

Truthfully She is worth the buy it now price, atleast here in the States!

I do not know how Dodge hold up against Ford & Holden in Australia?

But if it is the same as in the States, with Few exceptions Dodge is the underdog, But that only means that we can own them for less then the rest! :P:D

• Like 1

DAVID A: Buy your girls a pair of business coupes. They will love em and can only take two other friends with them. That's what my uncle did for his girls in the 50's. Just keep a close eye on the long trunk! Get them an Avon dealership, paint the coupes pink and watch the girls pay for their habits.

Both the above posts sound like excellent ideas!!! Wonder if I could talk the wife into it?

David A.

Go for it, worst case you have to sleep in the truck for a few nights... ;)

I've seen a couple Utes that were shipped over at car shows on the west coast of the USA. I'd love to get my hands on one. They look really nice with a restored/modernized vintage camper behind them.

I'd say the original poster's silver one is about as close to perfect as you are likely to find. Maybe add some nicely sealed and polished gumwood or eucalyptis burl trimmings and enjoy driving it.

• Like 1

I remember that truck for sale in Ipswich, nice ute you have, and it is one of the coupe cabs. rare a specific to australia.

If it is 53-55 then that front end is from an earlier one? the angle of the steering wheel is one indicator of age.

Really nice truck. I would love to have one like that for our small farm produce hauling needs. Much more eye catching market truck han an American 1/2 ton. 

DSC_0029.jpg

Hey ! I resemble that remark.

Hank  :D

Edited by HanksB3B