Hello From Germany

SpecialK

Now i have fixed the pulley.

I  turn the outer diameter on a lathe 1,5mm.

Then I make a sleeve with a 0,05mm smaller diameter on a cnc milling machine

I freeze the pulley and put the parts together.

I think the result is ok :)

20140716174807t8jf2swmy3.jpg

Edited by GermanP15

There were two styles of main bearing seal available, one was an imprenated braided cord style, and the other more modern neoprene style shown in your picture.  Is your's leaking?  Leaks are pretty typical, so it becomes a matter of how bad the leak is, and how bad you want to correct the leak.

Both styles are said to be replaceable without pulling the engine, or crankshaft.  In practice I doubt either one has been done successfully by an armature / hobbyist mechanic.  I have had experience with both styles.  I had a 218 engine that leaked badly it had the rope style  seal.  The crank was removed and sent out to be spray welded as there was a wear groove from the seal.  The welding was done then the crank was machined back to factory spec.  The crank was replaced with a new rope seal.  It leaked, not as bad, but still leaked.  The second was with a neoprene style during a rebuild.  Crankshaft was fine and at factory spec when reassembled with a new seal.  It leaks, not as bad, but still a leak.  

So I would say that I would not attempt to replace either style with the engine in place as I can not see how that style of repair could be effective as doing it with the crank removed and having total access to the area to do the job, without trying to fish the new seal into a tight space without ruining the new seal.  

That represents my experience, others may be more skilled or have more experience with the technique.  

If I read right Thomas, your engine is still out of the car. It would be easier to replace the seal while the engine is out (as Greg said). I replaced the rear engine seal in my 218 engine recently while the engine was out. The picture you showed from your car manual above was of the neoprene style seal. I used a Felpro seal (photo attached) and have had no further oil leak from the rear of my engine since.

post-3915-0-29826700-1405721016_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.
I have ordered the felpro seal.

Today i want to install the chain case cover. But i think the chain - play is very big.

I measured 13mm. In the manual of the car i can´t find something about it.

Can I tighten the chain?

[/url]">http://20140725165252jz3mp1v5q9_thumb.jpg

[/url]">http://http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/view/20140725165247dbc60jwn5y.jpg'>20140725165247dbc60jwn5y_thumb.jpg

No, sorry!

Time for new sprockets and chain.

Not hard to find and somewhat not too expensive.

At least here in the states.

Understand shipping and taxes make it way worse for you.

Check the resources-links on this forum for sellers friendly to the forum!

DJ

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a new Timing chain and the sprockets. I hope it comes next week. Unfortunately i found no description in my manual how to fix it.
Does anyone have one?

An other problem:

[/url]">http://http://www.fotos-hochladen.net/view/getriebe011ucobafq6w.jpg'>getriebe011ucobafq6w_thumb.jpg

The bushing is in the Motorblock how many play can have this? I think I have ca. 0,5mm

Sorry for my bad englich - i think the pics explain more ;)

Edited by GermanP15

If I read right Thomas, your engine is still out of the car. It would be easier to replace the seal while the engine is out (as Greg said). I replaced the rear engine seal in my 218 engine recently while the engine was out. The picture you showed from your car manual above was of the neoprene style seal. I used a Felpro seal (photo attached) and have had no further oil leak from the rear of my engine since.

Excuse me for stepping in. Sounds like your hands are full but where do you order the Felpro rear seal?

when replacing chain and gears as a new set..align the timing marks as normal as there is no stretch or wear to compensate for..moving it off a tooth off in either direction will greatly affect the valve timing in relation to the piston position when at TDC.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

I ordered a new Timing chain and the sprockets. I hope it comes next week. Unfortunately i found no description in my manual how to fix it.

Does anyone have one?

An other problem:

[/url]">http://getriebe011ucobafq6w_thumb.jpg

The bushing is in the Motorblock how many play can have this? I think I have ca. 0,5mm

Sorry for my bad englich - i think the pics explain more ;)

Thomas, if you are referring to the pilot bushing, which is pressed into the back end of the crankshaft, I don't know that there is any specification for clearance. Since you have the engine out, you should replace the bushing. If you have difficulty, there are several posts about it on the forum. 

In your post # 55, you can see the timing marks on the gears, about 4 o'clock on the cam and 9 on the crank gear. These need to line up in a center line between the center of the camshaft and the center of the crankshaft when installing new gears and chain. That puts the camshaft in the correct relationship to the crank.

Moving the gear a tooth is a very radical change and will create all sorts of issues. Race engine builders may move the cam timing a degree or two for a specific application and it's always a tradeoff, something gained somewhere for a loss of something somewhere else. Moving it a tooth is way more than a degree or two.

Hey guys,
thanks for your posts. This forum is great. I learn a lot!
the pilot bushing is out of the engine. I will make a new one in the next days.

@ timing chain
i will take the original position, i dont wanna have a race engine. I´m happy when it runs :)
the timing chain and cam-sprocket is out but the crank-sprocket is very hard. I broke my pullers
I will try it tomorrow again

the pilot bush is oilite..it should be of the same material...you cannot drill ollite but instead have to cut on a lathe..remember to soak it in oil..do not grease..grease will plugs the pores..

trivia............

Oilite is a porous bronze or iron alloy commonly impregnated with an oil lubricant and used in bearings. The original Oilite and Oilite Plus are bronze alloys, while Super Oilite and Super Oilite 16 are iron-based. Oilite was developed by Chrysler in 1930

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 2

good Morning,
I'm in Italy and I have a P8, the car was in good condition but I wanted to completely disassemble the entire body and the entire engine and after refit, with a careful restoration of every single element.
I send you a picture the body was dropped from the frame and I think that any type of repair is possible, it is important that the lines of the car is not affected, otherwise you'd need the template,
the proposal of a member of the UK is very good.
Regards, Sebastian

post-3364-0-49949800-1409094042_thumb.jpg