Hello From Germany

SpecialK

Hey guys,
Since short time I´m the owner of a Plymouth P15 from 1948. Unfortunately there are a lot of rusty parts and it seems to be much work. But therefore I need a little help:
The picture shows a connector between frame and body. You can see how rusty it is…
Does anybody know if it is possible to disassemble to repair the rusty parts? How should I do that?
Alternatively does anybody know where I can buy a spare part?
Thanks a lot,
Thomas from Germany

post-6262-0-08442500-1373228235_thumb.jpg

Looks like a body mount to me and I suspect you'll need to weld in new metal.

I think veterntechnic is in your general part of the world and from his restoration thread it seems he really knows what he is doing: http://p15-d24.com/topic/30811-restorating-a-p-15-business-coupe/?hl=restorating You might want to contact him.

There is an other forum member who posts from Germany but I am having trouble remembering exactly how he spells his screen name. If I can't find it, I am sure that others will post here too.

Check the recent "piggyback" thread started by the above mentioned CptFred. He should be a good one for helping to locate parts.I believe he knows some folks that are handy with building things out of metal also.  Looks like that one could be repaired and welded back in place.  Bad news is it's off the car good news is the rubber part looks to be in Very good condition.

Edited by greg g

Thanks for the quick replies.
Unfortunately, I do not know what the correct name of the part is. Body Mount sounds good, will vote.

The rubber is still great. Was determined exchanged before. Only the metal body is very rusty.

I can weld and metal work is also no problem for me. I'm a toolmaker and on my '65 Dart I've already done a lot of sheet metal work.

I get the body mount somehow shared? I do not know how to take apart the part.

Cpt.Fred I will definitely contact quickly. Berlin is very near to me  :)
   thx

Edited by GermanP15

Does anybody has such a part in his garage by chance?

How can I disassemble it? It seems to be 2 parts. It should be possible to change the rubber, isn`t it?`

I have to disassemble for having a chance to repair it...

Shel and GermanP15.....I'd be surprised if this was available as a replacement part as its not likely that it should or would ever need to be replaced in the normal life of the car.......in fact whilst it does indeed have some heavy rust scale I am wondering why it was replaced as it still appears structurally sound........what was the chassis like where it attached?.......was it rusted through?..........it looks like its had the spot welds drilled out..........my question still is....why was it removed from the chassis?..........andyd  

Ok, now i'm back home and can chime in here... that part looks like a front body mount, from under the a-pillar?

I'm with Greg, weld it back to the frame and go should be good to go. Hopefully.

Photos of the underside of your car (or of the whole car in general) would come in handy,

though, because, as Andy says, it's hard to estimate this without knowing the complete situation...

Right at this place there is a big hole in the frame. That´s why this connector looks like this. It´s partly rusty and should be changed. The frame I could weld and is almost finished at this point

picture are following quickly

ok, then... i would stick to Gregs advice and weld it back into place after you lined it up with the matching bracket/bolt  on the body (if it's still there).

rubber looks brand new, so that should be everything it takes.

First off this looks like one of the movable body mounts that are bolted onto the frame rail instead of welding in place. (bolts on in about the B post vicinity)  Depends on the body style where this one will mount as the frames are the same and the body dictates the position of the mount, usually one of two places depending on the body 2 door or 4 door.  Also the rubber cushion does not appear to be stock either..as they consist of two rubber discs for the side mounted body anchors.  Also when going back on the bolts are subject to an even low torque value so not to distort the body alignment.  I would have to ask at this time if you have the shop manual for the vehicle.  This is covered in the book.

yes, I have a lot of work. But that`s the reason I like those old cars.

I don`t understand why the rubber looks absolutely new while the rest of the part is so rusty.

I have to take it apart, otherwise I can`n weld it

welding the frame section where this part bolts may require some room but actually you should be able to remove a section of the floor to do the job.  It is probably a given that the cross support is also terminal if the frame mount suffered this much corrosion in the area and thus will require repair making sectioning of this item a necessity also.  I was also curious to the very rubber iso mounts you have in place..these in no way look stock having just removed and reinstalled my P15 body back onto the frame.  is the rubber within the body of the mount and the flat piece the special washer inserts a one piece molded unit?  How thick is this and is it the same thickness of the other pads at all the mounting points? 

I am in England.  I have a full chassis from a left hand drive car that I have no use for.  It is in good condition with only surface rust.  I don't know what car it came from but the engine number is P15 446352

If anyone is interested all I ask is a donation to this site.

P15 frame with exception to a convertible are the same the only real difference is the one mount that you are working issues with now..the position be it a two door or a four door as it bolts to the frame..the convertible frame for the P15 is not pictured or specifically addressed in the repair manual..

• 10 months later...

Thomas, as the others have said, that frame would fit your car unless its from a convertible.......sedan and coupe frames are the same........I'd be getting it if possible.........andyd 

Hey guys, the frame swapping is completed successfully. I placed the car on the rocker panel and took the frame down out. It worked very well and the new frame fits very good. The metalwork I will continue next winter. I still have to do the complete floor pans, the trunk and the fenders. Actually I make the engine and then the gearbox.

special thanks to UKPlymouth :)

here the new frame:

4lgenc95.jpg

removing the old one:

apcif4wp.jpg

6xbsckc6.jpg769izztq.jpg

2tk7pa7e.jpg

28qaablr.jpg

Edited by GermanP15