Westach 6V Tach

A couple of months ago I ordered a 6 volt tach from Westach. They had to build it, so it took a while to get it. Once it arrived I realized that I didn't have a way to mount it, so I ordered a roll bar mount gauge cup from Summit. The gauge cup mount clamps on the steering column and puts the tach in a good viewing area without having to drill any holes in my dash.

This morning I finally got it wired up and it works great. It is easy to wire. Just two wires. One to the + side of the coil and one to the - side. Fired up the engine and it reads a nice steady 600 RPM, right about where I usually set my idle speed.

IMG_0374_zps20220520.jpg

So then I had to make a test run. I went over to the east side of town and jumped on I-94, ran that west to the next exit where I got off the highway and came home. These pics didn't come out very well, but it's not easy to hold the iPhone steady with one hand.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. I AM A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL UNTRAINED AMATEUR.

For those who continue to think their trucks won't go over 45 MPH...

IMG_0375_zpsaf2c9cd8.jpg

IMG_0376_zpsf9848035.jpg

Reminder; My drivetrain...

Stock, rebuilt 218 CID L6 with .030" overbore. Block and head milled enough to true them up.

Fluid Drive with original 4 speed transmission

Original axles with '50 Plymouth 3.73:1 gear ratio differential.

Yokohama Geolander 235/75R-15 tires that measure 13-11/16" loaded radius (center of axle to the ground), which translates to 27-3/8" diameter

If I plug those numbers into a gear ratio calculator I get 2975.82 RPM at 65 MPH, or 3204.73 RPM at 70 MPH

My speedo reads a little slow, so my actual speed in these pics would have been closer to 68 and 73, which would come out to 3113.17 and 3342.08 RPM, which is pretty close to what the tach shows.

Merle

• Like 1

Ed keeps saying he's gonna get use of a tach so we can measure, but it hasn't happened yet.  Honestly, on flat ground I bet I could get up to 55mph, but there isn't much gas pedal left at 47mph.

I always questioned the low speeds everybody talks about, my first b1b in high school had the original 218 (bored .030).  We changed the rear end to something from a car of that era.  Original 3 speed on the floor.  I would run at 65 all the time, screemed a little, but it never failed me.  I had several tickets for speeding and "display of power" with that motor.  I actualy told the cop once I did'nt understand, "display of power"  it is just a flat head 6, he saw no humor in that.

Merle, interesting formula to calculate your speed.  I will stick to figuring square feet of wood.

Ed keeps saying he's gonna get use of a tach so we can measure, but it hasn't happened yet.  Honestly, on flat ground I bet I could get up to 55mph, but there isn't much gas pedal left at 47mph.

I just use my GPS to verify how fast I am going. 

I do agree with Merle, the Gophers/Vikings do have a history of showing up last.

I just use my GPS to verify how fast I am going. 

I do agree with Merle, the Gophers/Vikings do have a history of showing up last.

I dunno...the Gopher hockey team seems to not show last....EVER!

We gotta work on that now thats the rain has let up. I can borrow a tach/dwell meter and also have a tach like Merles we could wire up.

Don,

No backlight for night time driving. They can build them that way if you request it. I did not.

Todd,

It's an easy calculation. RPM = (MPH x Gear Ratio x 336)/Tire Diameter. ;)  But I cheat and use a gear ratio calculator that's part of the Garage Buddy app I have on my phone.

Mark,

Isn't Minnesota the land of 2 seasons? Winter and 2 months where you can't play Hockey. :P

• Like 1

I had seen on the Westach site some time back that they offered 6V tachs but had not see a listing in their catalog...do ya pick a style and request it to be 6V and 3500 RPM?  Or do they have a limited availability of styles?  I had been looking at a 270o sweep, but the style you picked out looks pretty good too.  :cool:

I also have the Westach for 6 volt-positive ground systems.  After installing the tach, I converted from standard points to Pertronix solid state ignition and the tack still worked!  The Westach tech-rep wasn't sure if it would work, but assured me that no damage would occur so I tried it.  

I like that mount and I like that tach. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get the same setup for my '33.

For those with trucks with 4.11 rear end ratios: My '33 has its original 4.375 rear end and the mounted diameter of the skinny 17" wheels is very close to that of the later 16-600 tires. I've had my car up to 70 per the GPS and run it at 60 on a regular basis. If you are only able to do 45 then something is wrong.

If you go to their web site and search around you can find 'em. www.westach.com

They only show the style I have for 6 volt tachs. They show either the 3500 RPM or 5000 RPM version. I didn't expect to be spinning my engine above 3500 so I opted for that one. I suppose I'm actually running near the top of the scale, so I could have gone with the 5000 version.

I ordered it through the web site and the next day I got an email from them that they would have to build one for me as they didn't have it in stock. It would 5 or 6 weeks. I mailed them back that it was OK, I wasn't in a rush for it. It was closer to 7 or 8 weeks by the time I got it, but I'm very pleased with it.

Merle

They also have a 270 degree sweep version which is what I went for in my truck. (Kind of like the old Sun tachs)

I used a large PVC end cap for a housing and mounted it to the dash.

B1C Interior

• Like 1

I've had my car up to 70 per the GPS and run it at 60 on a regular basis. If you are only able to do 45 then something is wrong.

Let me clarify...  I suppose my B2B would go faster than 50mph (and I verified this with my GPS), but at that speed it sounded like it was going to blow up.  I guess I "chicken'd out..." :(

I was reading a post on the car side about digital retro dashes and thought that I'd do some searching to see what's out there for our trucks. I came across the Dakota Digital site... http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm ... and boy don't they do some interesting stuff! I wonder how a fella would go mounting one of their Jeep or Bronco dashes (see attached) in a truck like ours? Pity that I'm such a stickler for originality in my truck/s !!!

post-3915-0-13412100-1373062862_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-28633200-1373062868_thumb.jpg

post-3915-0-82566900-1373062877_thumb.jpg