How Many Of You Are Today's 100,000 Visitor???

Sponsored By  

Or is it really just me and I will win that prize so briliantly pointed to by that bothersome flashing banner at the bottom of the forum page????   Not for nothing GTK but can you limit advertisers to stuff we might actually be interested in instead of upgraded video drivers, flashing come on ads, Dowload this or your computer will die junk.  I completely udrstand the reasons for allowing ads, but is there no way to prevent this carnival barker stuff from being so prevailent???

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

Or is it really just me and I will win that prize so briliantly pointed to by that bothersome flashing banner at the bottom of the forum page????   Not for nothing GTK but can you limit advertisers to stuff we might actually be interested in instead of upgraded video drivers, flashing come on ads, Dowload this or your computer will die junk.  I completely udrstand the reasons for allowing ads, but is there no way to prevent this carnival barker stuff from being so prevailent???

I think the problem is Bidadvertiser (the ad service supplier) doesn't have very many automotive clients. So we get the generics as fillers. 

I am working on getting more direct advertisers (the purchase directly, not through a service) and your support of those advertisers is appreciated.  Ultimately I hope to have enough direct to turn off the service supplied ads. Just not at that point yet.  

The companies already exist, the problem is getting clients that want to buy ads. So many of the vendors are very small businesses with very focused niche products. Internet advertising is not in their normal scope of standard business processes.  For many it's a big step and they have an expectation of an immediate return on the ad investment. Advertising just doesn't work that way. 

I guess I dont have a good grasp on marketing and advertising. I dont visit this forum looking for a divorce lawyer, where to buy a luxury home, where to find a job (although I did once find a job because of this forum), or where to look for a garden center etc.

I dont know the cost to advertise on this forum. If I had a business related to mail order parts for old cars I would think that my advetising dollars would best be spent on my target group of customers. I would think that folks such as Langdon, Olddaddy, Burnbaum, Tennessee Clutch, Roberts, Seaplym, Summit Racing, and even mikey could benefit from advertising here much more so than divorce lawyers etc. I may never buy anything from Butches Cool Stuff but at least I know about him thanks to his banner add on this forum as he is about the only advertiser on this forum that is related to the old car hobby.

GTK, you once mentioned the possibility of an opt out of advertising fee for forum members. Any new news on that?

I see add services on other web sites that always seem to show adds relevent to companies I recently dealt with. For example, I would browse Duluth Trading Company's web site and then I'd notice their adds showing up in banner adds on other sites. And recently I purchased something from Summit's online store. Now I'm seeing Summit adds everywhere. Apparently the add services are displaying adds based on the cookies stored in my computer? This seems to be a more positive add service than the one here, that often times doesn't seem to be advertising anything. The "adds" just want you to download something without telling you what it is.

Maybe we all need to pay for an add on this sight, such as... "This banner add brought to you by Don Coatney so you don't have to see the other bogus adds." :P

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins

Maybe we all need to pay for an add on this sight, such as... "This banner add brought to you by Don Coatney so you don't have to see the other bogus adds." :P

Merle

You may be onto something Merle.....folks posing with their favorite set of wheels...tastefully Mopar of course...

GTK, you once mentioned the possibility of an opt out of advertising fee for forum members. Any new news on that?

I looked at it and it is technically feasible. The issue is ads that I sell direct like Butch's would not be blocked as I have a contractual obligation to have them display to all users. 

However I could block the ads provided by the commercial ad services. 

I see add services on other web sites that always seem to show adds relevent to companies I recently dealt with. For example, I would browse Duluth Trading Company's web site and then I'd notice their adds showing up in banner adds on other sites. And recently I purchased something from Summit's online store. Now I'm seeing Summit adds everywhere. Apparently the add services are displaying adds based on the cookies stored in my computer? This seems to be a more positive add service than the one here, that often times doesn't seem to be advertising anything. The "adds" just want you to download something without telling you what it is.

Merle

Many other sites have ads provided by Google's Adsense service. These are linked into your search history on google, which is why they are more relevant. I have been trying to get signed up on Adsense for over two years without success. The frustrating part is you don't have any way to communicate with them directly to find out the exact reason for the rejection. One of the reasons I have added the blog section is apparently this is viewed as a positive in the Adsense approval process. I will keep trying but it has so far been very frustrating on the Adsense side.  I am actively recruiting more direct sold ads with the longer term objective of phasing out the commercial ad service.

I paint cars as a side business.....and I sell car/truck parts from my mini wrecking yard on craigslist. 

I don't advertize because its "side stuff",  meant to benefit friends and the like. 

Since I understand what GTK's doing, in staying invovled with the forum (ie make money)

I will advertize at an entry level to support/donate to the effort.  ^_^

48D

• Like 1

Ok......working with GTK on an AD.

It'll be a "skyscapper" banner ad.

Hope it helps me become a millionaire Pilot-House guru! :D  

48D

UPDATE:

Ad is live......!!! 6/24/2013

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 1

I don't mind having legitimate adds, even though they aren't automotive related. I understand they are a fact of life to keep this site running. In my opinion they are not intrusive, like adds on some sites. Even though I am not interested in hydroponics, and I don't buy my gardening supplies or batteries online, I have no issue with these adds. They are at least advertising a product or service of some sort.

Screenshot examples;

post-31-0-84981400-1372189762_thumb.jpg  post-31-0-30240100-1372189769_thumb.jpg

The complaint that I have, and is the general feel I'm getting from the group, is the adds that don't advertise anything. They are just a "You Need To Click Here to update your Media Player" link, or something similar that is only trying to get you to download some unknown file to your computer. They seem more like fishing scams to get you to download their virus. These can't be legitimate.

More examples;

post-31-0-75866200-1372189781_thumb.jpg  post-31-0-33064800-1372189792_thumb.jpg  post-31-0-35392800-1372189797_thumb.jpg

Merle

So, I've noticed that since the domain name change the add service also changed. The new one seems to have more relevant adds. And it seems to go off my browser history too, like the Google adds would. It also appears to put up regional adds based on my location. I'm liking it better. Thanks GTK.

The other thing I've noticed, though... there is now a small add banner between the first and second threads on every page. I guess I can live with it as long as it generates enough revenue to maintain the site.

Kudos to Great and Powerful Webmaster. :)

Edited by Merle Coggins

The other thing I've noticed, though... there is now a small add banner between the first and second threads on every page. I guess I can live with it as long as it generates enough revenue to maintain the site.

I've noticed it too. Makes the page look odd but like you said I can live with it.