3 Fargos And A Dodge...

Hi all,

First off I wanted to thank everyone who contributes on this forum.  I've pored through and searched the forums, and got lots of good info from the website.

In the last 2 weeks or so, I've gone from 0 pilot house trucks to 4, as seen in the attached picture.  They're all 1 tons; 3 1950's and a '51, 3 Fargos and a '50 Dodge.

My plan is to rebuild them into 2 registered, plated vehicles and a parts/water-go-getter truck.

I'm going to be posting photos as things go along and try to cement exactly what's going where and what it's going to look like.

Cheers, and thanks again!

post-6194-0-87695300-1371229217_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the fun, Nice bunch of trucks you picked up.

Good looking fleet, I believe in Australia all Pilothouse trucks got the corner windows (except the deluxe which is a different shape back of cab).

Hi and Welcome to the group. You don't mess around do you?......four truck in two weeks has to be some sort of a record. :D

I thought a pilothouse truck was a truck with rear 1/4 windows in the cab?

I have to agree with Don. If you take the time to read Mr. Bunns book.......the only time the term Pilot-house is ever used is in conjunction with the quarter windows and enhanced visibility for the driver. Take away the quarter windows and you no longer have a Pilothouse. It is a terminology thing to be certain. B Series is a far more appropriate general moniker.

Jeff

Nice looking fleet you're building.  Good luck with your projects.

If you compare the view and space from inside the cab of a W series (39-47) to that of a 48-53 you'd see that they're all pilothouses.  The PH cabs have a much taller windshield and wider cab than the predecessors.  I've got one of each (std and deluxe cabs) but they're both Pilot Houses.  

Edited by MBFowler

Thanks for all the welcomes!  Jeff, I've actually got Mr. Bunn's book in front of me.  "Dodge's Pilot-House Safety Cab pickups came close to being all-new trucks... The Pilot-House cab was higher, wider, longer, fully weatherproofed and provided excellent vision through its large, non-opening windshield."  (p. 62-63, Dodge Pickups History and Restoration Guide).

Anyhow, terminology aside, thanks for the warm welcome, all (I think I'll just use B-series in the future :) ).

Nabbing the 4 units was kind of accidental.  The blue '51 I bought at auction (plated it and drove it home), the yellow one's owner was moving and needed it gone (blew a head gasket a couple of years ago, not currently running), and the last two were a package deal from an area farmer.  His father had bought the Dodge new and years later picked up the Fargo, which by then was already beaten up a bit.  Both engines are in running condition, though.

Hi and Welcome to the group. You don't mess around do you?......four truck in two weeks has to be some sort of a record. :D

I have to agree with Don. If you take the time to read Mr. Bunns book.......the only time the term Pilot-house is ever used is in conjunction with the quarter windows and enhanced visibility for the driver. Take away the quarter windows and you no longer have a Pilothouse. It is a terminology thing to be certain. B Series is a far more appropriate general moniker.

Jeff

Edited by Kato659

These two came home the same day.  The Dodge was in better than expected shape, the Fargo's extensively dinged and dented, and the box is really rough, but it's also the only one with door vent windows.

post-6194-0-77365300-1371314058_thumb.jpg

post-6194-0-20932800-1371314071_thumb.jpg

I believe that pilot house is a term applicable to all '48-'53 trucks regardless off the cab corner windows. This new styling was not only identified with the addition of the five window cab but also of the increased space inside and the three on the tree shifting in some models allowing for an extra passenger in the middle, along with other changes. Any who the more I look at your collection the more I want to own a couple more PH.

-Chris

Right?  I think it has something to do with the odds of someone else being on my highway vs. the odds of knocking the things off pulling into the shed.

nice collection, this also confirms something that we have always believed, "Prairie folk don't use mirrors".

signed

BC

On 6/15/2013 at 2:30 PM, 1952B3b23 said:

I believe that pilot house is a term applicable to all '48-'53 trucks regardless off the cab corner windows. This new styling was not only identified with the addition of the five window cab but also of the increased space inside and the three on the tree shifting in some models allowing for an extra passenger in the middle, along with other changes. Any who the more I look at your collection the more I want to own a couple more PH.

-Chris

Some factory literature on "PilotHouse".....

Bob

post-302-0-60761100-1371442561_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya