Hello! I'm A Lurker And A Decided To Introduce Myself.

desertdroog

My sense is if you are patient you will find a nice 41 Ply Bus Coupe. A good friend of mine has a very sweet '40 P10 Deluxe here in Victoria, Canada. I don't think he would part with it. However it is a bit morbid for readers here but there are a lot of old guys with nice old cars in the US and Canada. They are dying off slowly and their families are often not interested in their cars. I predict many will be sold off in the years to come at good prices. Prices will stay low to moderate as not many young people are interested, esp in '40s cars. I expect some abuse over these comments....just a dumb Canadian.

Sounds reasonable to me, just like the model "T", nobody is interested in those now that most of that generation has passed. Some of us old dinosaur's will be heading to the great scrapyard in the next few years. Just don't recycle me, I want to screw up the enviroment.

Just as long as no one pulls "Viking Funeral" or a "Pharoah Burial" with their nifty vintage tin, I can get a crack at being a new steward for these older cars. :)

• 3 months later...

Finally! I found a 1941 Plymouth Super Deluxe Coupe in the process of restoration for sale. Selling my 1948 Ford fourdoor sedan helped me on this horse trade. I am currently trying to figure out shipping from them to my state, so pics will come once it arrives.

The seller assured me that all/most of the parts are there, so hopefully I won't have to scrounge for any super hard to find pieces. It has been rewired for 6 volt, the original flathead 6 was rebuilt 2 years ago and fired twice. It has been repainted with a year correct color for the Plymouth models, i think it is pursuit grey, won't know for sure until I see it in person.

Thanks all for the responses. I plan to get it on the road in short order and enjoy cruising one of the last pre-war models made.

Congrats on the find, holding out for what you want, & NOT settling on something you would regret.  I love the '40/'41 Coupes......just love MY '38 a bit more. Waiting for pics.....

I am still waiting on the owner to finish gathering the parts for the car and he is sending me a notarized bill of sale and registration history papers in Alabama via USPS. Can anyone here recommend a shipping company or know of any to stay away from?

Here are some pics he sent me:

post-3010-0-11078700-1382461378_thumb.jpg

post-3010-0-77726900-1382461385_thumb.jpg

post-3010-0-46095100-1382461400_thumb.jpg

post-3010-0-28249900-1382461411_thumb.jpg

post-3010-0-07652600-1382461420_thumb.jpg

Take a look at uship.com.  You post your needs and shippers make offers.  You're not obligated to accept any of them.  I used it recently to ship a car and it worked well for me.

Can anyone here recommend a shipping company or know of any to stay away from?

deathbound:

I hear that, never settle. I've done it in the past a couple times, but I have two of my bucket list cars (Model A and this Plymouth) and about 8 years total in finding both of them.

DCurrent:

I love that front end too, it is a neat mix of Art Deco and Streamline Moderne, I know purists say that Art Deco ended in 1938, but you can help but notice the chrome light bezels, chrome grill surround reliefs and (interior) dash board and gauges and think...yeah there is some industrial art design love going on here.

I've looked at a few of these in person, I have a not so great story of renting a Uhaul truck and trailer (on a whim and via the prodding of someone whose money wasn't being used -heh friends are great everyone needs a cheerleader), driving across the desert to Long Beach to look at a 41 Coupe. When I arrived and gave it a good hard look, I found that it had road signs and plywood for floors and about a foot of bondo holding the rear apron/trunk area together.. But the ad said, super clean and the pictures were very careful in showing the good parts. So I turned the truck and trailer around and reflected on the $500 I sank into a red-eye run to Ca and back in a day, coming up with colorful names for various people involved, (myself included).Thinking back on that trip, I learned a lot and kept on looking for one that suited my needs. I think I found it, I just need to get it home. :)

jcmiller:
I did use a site like uship.com and was inundated with about thirty replies! So I spent about two hours looking at the top five best quotes, then cross-refrenced them using google to find reviews (good or bad) of the companies I found.

One thing I did learn was that most/all? of these companies are brokers to individual shippers who bid/accept contracts to do pick ups. While that isn't a bad thing, they really are not connected to an independent contractor with a truck, so this is where my trepidation comes in, as I would like a bit more skin in the game from the person giving me a quote with regards to the truck they will get my new/old car on. Like anything in life, you have to take chances; a few of my friends in town have used different shipping brokers with varying amounts of success in the past, so there is some solace in that.

I just was wondering if anyone has been down this road and could point out the really bad ones, if any were notorious.

I have a couple narrowed down, and the real clincher is finding one that is covered, has a winch and will not mind that the cars brakes are not connected or in useable order at this time.

Edited by desertdroog

My shipping need was somewhat unusual as the car was on an island so I only had 5-6 bids to look at.  Plus the car was a wreck so I was not concerned about insurance and not very concerned about potential damage during shipping.  The lowest priced were the brokers but I went with a local independent operator who I could communicate with directly.  I think you can filter out the brokers when you place your ad if you don't want to consider them at all.  Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky Day!

I took delivery of the coupe not more than ten minutes ago. I still have to go through and inventory all the parts and see what I need to get, if any. Is there a source for getting a matched set of key lock tumblers for the door, ignition and trunk? Or rather get trunk to match the door? I am a newbie to pre-war MoPar's and I have to build my network and learn who has the market for what.

Here are a few more pictures.

post-3010-0-07418100-1383508791_thumb.jpg

post-3010-0-11638600-1383508800_thumb.jpg

Niel Hoback

Thanks for the information! Beetle is a fan of fezes...ok not really. In my defense my lady friend did that for some christmas cards, so he was out of my hands at the time.

ChrisRice

Think of this, it has found a rust free home in the desert of Arizona and It is a keeper, not for sale.

Edited by desertdroog

So, do the seats usually sink this low or do i need to figure out how to redo or stiffen up the springs? I imagine that they have had a lot of sits since the 40's, but I sink so low into the seat, that I can't see over the nose of the hood. Anyone have any resto tips on this?

Try sitting in the front center position like a third pass. in front. How much higher do you sit?

These old springs get weak with years use, the wires that tie the coils together break, etc. They can be replaced, many on here trade srings out with ones from the center to the drivers position and tie them all together where they touch together with wire or hog rings (avail. at any decent upholstery shop) and replace the padding on top of the springs.

Make a world of differance!

Best to ya,

Doug

Thanks for that info. I figured there would be broken springs or sagging ones, I just wasn't sure how low it was from factory? I have redone a 1954 Ford bench seat, so once I get into it, I will be able to see what I am up against.

Also, can anyone recommend a good, all weather car cover?

pflaming

Sorry I missed your question. The steering wheel is painted white, I haven't opened up all the boxes that the seller used for the misc pieces, so I don't know what the trim ring looks like yet or if there is a horn assembly etc.. The rest of the interior garnish and dash are painted brown, with a bit of a faux woodgrain. It fits the overall color scheme of the car, so it will do for now. I'm looking to see if I have a rear view mirror.

Also, can anyone recommend a good, all weather car cover?

Nothing beats a California Car cover from my experience. HOWEVER they know it too and charge like it.